It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Cure for Hiccups: I am 8 for 8

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

hyperventilating for about 20 seconds does the trick for me. Make sure the breaths are deep.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
usually you have to startle someone to get rid of the hiccups, so I just ask them if they have that $50. bucks they owe me. The person is usually startled by this because they don't really owe any money, and go on the defense right away and for get all about their hiccups.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Obama. He causes everything.

I always take a deep breath in, hold it for as long as I can, then take a deep breath out until I'm out of air, then hold that in for as long as I can. Works every time I have the hiccups.

Oh wait.......Sorry, that's my free high "recipe"

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I like having the hiccups. I like a sneeze too, (as long as nothing comes out).

I'll keep the peanut butter thing in mind if I ever get them while doing a public speech. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Quoting Mary Poppins - "A
Spoonful of Sugar Makes
The Hiccups Go Away".

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If you don't like peanut butter, and you don't want to hyperventilate or choke on drinking water backwards, try a couple of antacids, like Tums or Rolaids. They work for me every time. When my husband told me to try it, I thought he was crazy! Don't know how it works, but it does.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Plus drinking water upside down.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
reply to post by seaside sky

that sounds sorta like a trick and ex-boyfriend taught me.
you do drink from the opposite side of the glass....to do this you must bend over and basically drink it upside down. it sounds complicated, but its really simple once you see if demonstrated.

you fill a glass with water, put your bottom lip on the inside of the cup *opposite side than you would normally drink from* and then take a breath and breathe it out ALL THE WAY, every last string of breath! then slowly bend over at the waist until you are able to begin drinking from the glass. drink as much of the water you can (calmly, of course) and if you do this right, it works EVERY time.

The reason this trick works is because you concentrate on trying to do something difificult that your mind focuses on the task and messages to your diaphragm cease, ergo Hiccups cease. Neat trick really.

The same thing must apply to the Peanut Butter, particularly if you have to concentrate on eating it slowly. But that is just a guess, obviously.

edit on 3/9/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Cobaltic1978

thats not why. it makes it so your diaphragm isn't being used to breathe and is in a way frozen and that moment of it not being used or sort-of intentional paralysis of your diaphragm in that way makes the spasms stop. i know i didn't explain that technically right but suffice to say, most people have the right idea with holding your breath. trying not to use your diaphragm, but by bending over and drinking water having let out ALL your breath (instead of holding it) it just forces the intended action even more...thereby suppressing spasm.

there may be a psychological process that helps, but this is physiological in nature.
edit on 9/3/2011 by double_frick because: typo

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Originally posted by double_frick
reply to post by seaside sky

that sounds sorta like a trick and ex-boyfriend taught me.
you do drink from the opposite side of the glass....to do this you must bend over and basically drink it upside down. it sounds complicated, but its really simple once you see if demonstrated.

you fill a glass with water, put your bottom lip on the inside of the cup *opposite side than you would normally drink from* and then take a breath and breathe it out ALL THE WAY, every last string of breath! then slowly bend over at the waist until you are able to begin drinking from the glass. drink as much of the water you can (calmly, of course) and if you do this right, it works EVERY time.

The reason this trick works is because you concentrate on trying to do something difificult that your mind focuses on the task and messages to your diaphragm cease, ergo Hiccups cease. Neat trick really.

The same thing must apply to the Peanut Butter, particularly if you have to concentrate on eating it slowly. But that is just a guess, obviously.

edit on 3/9/11 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

and i DO think you are right about the peanut butter, but i could be wrong too.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Okay, but just make sure you try all the brands of peanut butter, and all the different kinds. So Skippy, JIF, Reese's, Peter Pan, and be sure to try both creamy and crunchy while you're at it

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

Holding your breath, I can understand, but if you try drinking a glass of water from the opposite side of the glass, you wouldn't necessarily stop breathing or do you?. If this is the case, then just hold your breath.

It must be some kind of psychological effect as well as physiological.

To be honest I have always found receiving a scare sorts it out. BOO!!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Quick...simple...and easy...a tea spoon of vinegar, 100% success.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I was a long time bar fly years ago and the the Bitters trick worked every time from hiccups due to drinking.

Place 4 or 5 drops of Angostora Bitters on a lemon wedge and bite into the wedge, sucking in the juice. Sugar may be added to the lemon to ease the taste.

However I love Peanut Butter and don't go to bars anymore so i will try the peanut butter.

BTW it's often said that our taste buds change every 7 years. I hated peanut butter as a kid but now love it as well as mustard greens and cabbage. My taste buds still hate liver - I won't let them like it.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Usually all I have to do is "tell" myself to stop. "Quit hiccuping" I say and 9/10 times it works. I learned this from my uncle who learned it from my grandmother. Give it a try.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
All hiccup remedies that work actually have something to do with changing your breathing. It's fair to say, you don't need a cool trick, you need to stop breathing.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
As gay as this sounds, its worked every time. All you have to do is take a deep breath, and swallow. Do it about three or four times and it will stop. Its all about regaining control of you diaphragm.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Anyone ever try tickling your uvula with a pencil? ( That's the hangy-down fleshy thing at the back of your throat, for those who might not know. ) It works for me.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Breathing into a bag works too. I heard that hiccups have something to do with the oxygen ratio getting thrown off and breathing out AND in to the bag corrects this. It works for me anyway.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I use the classic drink while holding my breath, nothing wrong with that one.
It's the cheapest alternative...well till now lol

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join