It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Simple Cure for Hiccups: I am 8 for 8

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I didn't think it would work, but a friend told me about it years ago, and I had forgotten. I actually get the hiccups quite frequently, and a few months ago, when I had a case of the hiccups, I tried this, and it worked immediately, as in not another hiccup. Has worked all 7 times since.

A tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter, swallowed slowly. Don't know why, but it works immediately. Something to remember next time you have the hiccups. You'll thank me later.
edit on 3-9-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
For those with nut allergies................... hard cheese.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
hold your breath and constantly swallow.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I didn't think it would work, but a friend told me about it years ago, and I had forgotten. I actually get the hiccups quite frequently, and a few months ago, when I had a case of the hiccups, I tried this, and it worked immediately, as in not another hiccup. Has worked all 7 times since.

A tablespoon of peanut butter or almond butter, swallowed slowly. Don't know why, but it works immediately. Something to remember next time you have the hiccups.

Would it be fair to say that any... Nut Butter... would work? hehe Nut Butter...

2nd.

-Lightrule

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by icepack
hold your breath and constantly swallow.

After trying that for 10 mins, and turning purple in the face, swallowing a spoonful of peanut butter is a little easier.
edit on 3-9-2011 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

of course breath out and in again when you feel suffocating....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
what causes hicups anyway???
anybody know??

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I was interested until you mentioned peanut butter.....yuck!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
anybody know??

Global warming causes them
Would I lie?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I noticed this years ago as well and its worked every single time I've tried it, even with really bad cases of hiccups. People look at me weird when I suggest it but peanut butter really does get rid of hiccups. Not sure the medical reason behind it, but it does work at least from what I've seen from most people who try it (and myself).

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

It's a spasm in your diaphragm...
don't really know the cause though.

link   
The trick that I have NEVER known to fail is to drink water from a glass "backwards"- that is, from the opposite side of the glass, so you're tilting the glass slightly away from your mouth rather than towards it.

I have never known this trick to fail- it works instantly too.

The reason it works is probably a combination of two things- first it stretches your neck in an odd way and makes you swallow slightly differently, and secondly the simple act of concentrating on it breaks the hiccup spell.

link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I get hiccups frequently, so I will try this out.
If it doesn't work, I'll come for you.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
any goopy food will work, you are taking your throat off the 'available list' when a hiccup wants to use it.

Im sure being sick would stop hiccups too, seesh imagine if it didnt... NO DONT! too late, i bet that burns.

slowly drink a glass of water follwed by breath holding, work okay for me and easyer acvcess than to peanut butter, and if you carry a jar aroudn wiht you all the time, your a peanut nutter.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I've tried holding my breath and swallowing, holding by breath and drinking enormous amounts of water, holding by breath and drinking water backwards, upside down, and they never work instantly, for me at least, and sometimes at all. As I said, the peanut butter worked instantly, all 8 times for me.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I've tried holding my breath and swallowing, holding by breath and drinking enormous amounts of water, holding by breath and drinking water backwards, upside down, and they never work instantly, for me at least, and sometimes at all. As I said, the peanut butter worked instantly, all 8 times for me.

TBH if it works for you, just keep telling yourself that. Being sure alone will help the remedys chances due to your subconcious (which presumably is the thing making you hiccup anyway)

Hiccup cure list
edit on 3-9-2011 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by autopat51
anybody know??

Spasm of the diaphragm. Often times from "swallowing" too much air or eating too fast

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by seaside sky

that sounds sorta like a trick and ex-boyfriend taught me.
you do drink from the opposite side of the glass....to do this you must bend over and basically drink it upside down. it sounds complicated, but its really simple once you see if demonstrated.

you fill a glass with water, put your bottom lip on the inside of the cup *opposite side than you would normally drink from* and then take a breath and breathe it out ALL THE WAY, every last string of breath! then slowly bend over at the waist until you are able to begin drinking from the glass. drink as much of the water you can (calmly, of course) and if you do this right, it works EVERY time.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by double_frick
reply to post by seaside sky

that sounds sorta like a trick and ex-boyfriend taught me.
you do drink from the opposite side of the glass....to do this you must bend over and basically drink it upside down. it sounds complicated, but its really simple once you see if demonstrated.

you fill a glass with water, put your bottom lip on the inside of the cup *opposite side than you would normally drink from* and then take a breath and breathe it out ALL THE WAY, every last string of breath! then slowly bend over at the waist until you are able to begin drinking from the glass. drink as much of the water you can (calmly, of course) and if you do this right, it works EVERY time.

If it worked every time, I never would have tried peanut butter.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by double_frick

That's exactly it! You explained it better than I did.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join