It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Not Trust Your School

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
What if they refuse to do their community service? What do you do with them then? (Some will refuse, it's guaranteed, especially in this day and age.)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
A strange avatar you've got Eddie999. yet I agree on the article.

Guess you already saw this one
www.abovetopsecret.com...

>>If you don�t trust or respect any authorities,
>>Do you respect experience?

As for me, I respect the of the experience result. Like if a teacher has -8 glasses, hemorroids and a completely screwed-up personal and financial life... I would doubt what he is trying to teach me.

>>It is the lack of discipline and the lack of respect that is
>>causing our children�s generation to become appalling.

I believe that true respect - from children and everybody else - is received by ones achievements in life, not by hammering "you have to respect me!" in children heads. When I look at school teachers ( described above ) I more feel sorry for them, then respect. So many kids also start feeling some disrespect them.

>>Back when I was a child you would get the strap. You didn�t even think of doing anything bad after awhile...

I also believe that after a while like that you won't even think much of your own. You would start thinking in hammered in templates of what is "good" and "bad", of what "is possible" and what "is not". You would be already afraid of making your own decisions, of questioning common know truth.

Take a most successful and charismatic personality you know and start disciplining him by telling what is "good" and "bad" and by hitting him every time he tries to use his own head. What would he turn into in a few years? In a cripple, like most "normal" people.

And as for the "value of a dollar"... it is very individual, so one can become a parasite on his parents if not taught to earn his own money. Yet from my own experience, if one is taught too much of how he should earn 20$, he would miss million dollar opportunities later in life, chasing this 20 bucks.

But the "value of work"... hmm... if one is doing how work for money, in most cases he would not only be unhappy, but he also would not get any money ( serious ) for it. Look at the workers in a factory. Now look at millionaires who are running their own business - in most cases they are doing it just for "fun".

>>I would suggest doing some sort of punishment that they would not enjoy yet would not be harmful (like community service).

But of course it is much easier to punish or say "don't do that, it's bad", instead of trying to understand why they are doing it and offer them a way that won't harm anybody.

Good Luck!

[edit on 23-8-2004 by bratok]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
To me experience doesn't mean the world to me. Look at members on this board. I've seen some new members make some excellent posts. But adults have lots too learn too. If a teacher goes unopposed for years they become ignorant. Once my former social studies teacher said that Canada was the largest country in the world. Should we allow teachers to get away with what ever they want. No. The best thing to do is when argueing, argue intelligently, same rules as on ATS. As for trusting my school theres no way I trust them.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
To me experience doesn't mean the world to me. Look at members on this board. I've seen some new members make some excellent posts. But adults have lots too learn too. If a teacher goes unopposed for years they become ignorant. Once my former social studies teacher said that Canada was the largest country in the world. Should we allow teachers to get away with what ever they want. No. The best thing to do is when argueing, argue intelligently, same rules as on ATS. As for trusting my school theres no way I trust them.

gotta agree with the ignorant teachers part.now im 13, (but im in year 9,going in to to 10 in september
) and had this history teacher.now he set us a piece of homework, 2 sides. fair enough nice easy homework.but you see he moaned about mine, because i leave a line between paragraphs, because presentation is a good thing in essays like that, lets people see different segments.well he moaned and told me to do 2 sides of lines.and he gave his usual speech of "If you dont like it, get a signed letter from your parents and ill gladly let you off it." now me being me i did get that letter,gave it to him, and he went...now whats the word...ape s**t.he couldnt take the fact id called his bluff.he yelled at me infront of the class. (i just sat there ignoring the moron.) so promptly invited the entire class to skit me (they still do.they find it amusing because im a year younger.) now you see why should he yell at me? id done the homework,which is more that some people did, id done it properly,neatly and accurately, and id done what he'd said.now why should i be blamed for his own audaciousness in asking me to get a signed letter?

Originally posted by SirKillallott

I would suggest doing some sort of punishment that they would not enjoy yet would not be harmful (like community service).

i went to a public school,where the discipline was lax.well anyway now i go to a private school,and we have a thing which we start in 4th year (but we were able to start in 3rd year
) called CCF. (combined cadet force) once a week you have to come in in cadet uniform,and you can learn military drill, survival skills, first aid etc.(im in the royal navy section
) and for people who dont want to do that you can do community service.and i think this is a good idea, it disciplines people.the people who would normally mess around in lesson end up getting yelled at and berated by Captain Joseph (its a proper military thing,to build character into people.we have military people teaching us drill or 6th form students,who are NCOs teaching us it.)
there really isnt anything better than watching the most immature, idiotic person in your form being made to do press ups by an NCO.it also has a reward system too.you can go on field days and camps,and learn to fly planes,helicopters,gliders,sail,dive,use small arms and rifles,do PT and everything, all paid for by the military.so if you misbehave, you get punished, if you show enthusiasm you can go on camps,learn new things, and maybe get promoted

and one thing i think a lot of you are missing here is that a lot of people misbehave because they thing its "cool" and that theyll be friends with the "cool" people and be popular.now i dont rely on social accolades, id rather learn my chemistry/physics/biology etc than mess around and get a detention.(in fact i really like my sciences,if they werent mandatiory GCSEs id have picked them anyway
)

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dmsoldier

Originally posted by DanTodd
wow im stuck in a currupt education system or something, we start school tomorrow.

lmao

first week is nothing anyways
ha! maybee not in your day but i already have an essay due on friday ,a packet of math problems due on wednesday, and i have to read like 10 pages of school rules and regulation and its only the first day.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by DanTodd]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
>>a lot of people misbehave because they thing its "cool" and
>>that theyll be friends with the "cool" people and be popular.

I suppose in most cases this "want to be cool" isn't a true wish, rather it is brought by a representational fear ( what will people think about me, I want them to think I'm cool! ), that was caused by parents - look at yourself! What will people think about you?!

Yet the one who does not have this "fear" does not care of what others think about him. So he does not spend time to do stupid things for others to think he's "cool".

As for the millitary... from one side there's nother wrong with it, from the other it looks like it's makeing animals-patriots out of children...

Good Luck!

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:45 AM
link   
most people get in trouble because they can and they think its funney.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by crunk14]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   

1. School is no longer properly disaplined:

Where I live, the principal is allowed to give corporal punishment, which I personally think is BS. Simply because of the fact that it is illigal for me to discipline my kids in this manner, but a man/woman they don't know can. It irritates me a tad.

2. Parents are often irresponsible and give their children whatever they want:

Yes they are. And they have been for generations. We, as parents, want more for our kids than we got as children. Just like our parents wanted more for us than they got. I didn't have a whole lot growing up, I had 7 brothers and sister, a disabled father with a tiny disability pension. I didn't have very many toys, but what I did have I took care of. My kids have TONS of toys, and they don't appreciate them. They break them and tear them up. But I keep buying them, maybe to make up for what I didn't have?

One year in a New Jersey elementary school scarred me for life.

-Becs

LOL, I understand that. I went to Veterans Memorial Elementary in New Jersey. Till first grade when we moved, and I was definately terrified.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal

1. School is no longer properly disaplined:

Where I live, the principal is allowed to give corporal punishment, which I personally think is BS. Simply because of the fact that it is illigal for me to discipline my kids in this manner, but a man/woman they don't know can. It irritates me a tad.

Well you got to understand that I am no way supporting this. Using violence to get someone to do something because you can is tyranny and I don�t support that. Although I still think that school is not properly disciplined. I do not think that the teachers should have to be harsh about it but there must be some way to fix this problem. I believe that most of the kids don�t realize what school can do for them and thus they goof off and take it all as a joke. Of course they should have fun but there needs to be an equal balance. For example:

During a science experiment students were instructed to build a popsicle stick bridge out of no more than 100 popsicles and glue supplied by the school (for control). The bridges were then built, weighed and then weight was paced on them until they broke. Then they did some mathematical thing for how much weight it held and how much the bridge weighed and then whoever got the best score won and got to go to city's, provincial, national and then the winner won about 100 dollars each person.

I believe these sorts of things can be fun to kids. Although it doesn�t have to have such a big prize, nor does it have to involve a prize, it�s the way that we teach our kids that controls whether they goof off or not.

One of the major problems with the school of today is gym. They need to be able to burn excess energy in a fun way, not by running 5K around a field. This is a bad way to try and get them in shape and only irritates them.

Another problem with the school of today is all the rivalry that it produce's. It is not bad to have a rival; it sets the standards high. But if you have 5, 10, 500 rivals then holy, if you�re not better than most of them then you pretty much think you suck because how are you going to be better than all 500 of them! In TD Baker the motto "I am the best" is enforced to the point of breaking. Sure this is good if you want the kids to be cocky... You need to give them some confidence but not to the point were they think they can beat everyone else.

Well I hope you see my view.

[edit on 8/26/2004 by SirKillallott]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
do u guys think its wierd that if you punch a kid you get like 30 days out of school suspension but if you punch a teacher you get 90 days out of school suspension..... very very strange IMO

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:34 PM
link   

do u guys think its wierd that if you punch a kid you get like 30 days out of school suspension but if you punch a teacher you get 90 days out of school suspension..... very very strange IMO

That is very weird.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
one other thing i found unuaual was in out student handbook thingy when it says that you cant bring weapons to school it actually includes a bazooka in the list of weapons not to bring.

even if i wanted to bring a bazooka to school where would i find one.

[edit on 26-8-2004 by DanTodd]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Being a college student, things seem to be different, they actually treat you like an adult, not a kid anymore.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Not really, it suposed to teach you little punks who is boss. Your supposed to treat your elders in a respective manner, and hitting a teacher would be a much larger penalty in my books than two punk ass kids being kids.

...Now that doesnt mean you dont fight back against adults that are threatening your safety, you do the exact opposite. But there is not to many teachers that will threaten your safety, so to all you little punks that think your teachers are dicks... let them threaten you before you desided to be a tough guy.

[edit on 8/27/04 by HumptyDumpty]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty

Not really, it suposed to teach you little punks who is boss. Your supposed to treat your elders in a respective manner, and hitting a teacher would be a much larger penalty in my books than two punk ass kids being kids.

...Now that doesnt mean you dont fight back against adults that are threatening your safety, you do the exact opposite. But there is not to many teachers that will threaten your safety, so to all you little punks that think your teachers are dicks... let them threaten you before you desided to be a tough guy.

wow your a dickwad

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by HumptyDumpty

wow your a dickwad

You do have a point.

The reason why I said that was weird is for several reasons. First of all we are all humans. If you harm another human it shouldn�t matter who you did it too, it should be the same punishment all around. Second if you�re that mad at your teacher to go and punch them, then the teacher is doing something to you. I'm putting that plain and simple.

There are a few acceptations, but not all people go around punching everything they see. Most of the kids are turning into this kind of thing now a days but that doesn�t mean that the penalty for punching your teacher should be worse than punching your peer.

Like I said above, we are all human and a punch hurts the same whether you are an adult or a child.

[edit on 8/28/2004 by SirKillallott]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Excellent point SirKillalot!

You know what rules bug me the most about schools though. Its anti-weapon rules. Sure kids shouldn't be able to bring weapons but heres what drives me crazy. When I was a freshman in high school my locker had all sorts of problems. The door kept getting stuck. And the grip was horrible on the handle thing to open it. It turned out part of the lock was bent crooked. Ok so I thought I should bring some pliers just so I could open it. And I was thinking of fixing my locker since the school wouldn't do it. Turns out pliars along with most other tools are considered weapons. And because of this it almost always took me two to three minutes to get my locker open. That time the school went to far with the zero tolerence policy.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Excellent point SirKillalot!

You know what rules bug me the most about schools though. Its anti-weapon rules. Sure kids shouldn't be able to bring weapons but heres what drives me crazy. When I was a freshman in high school my locker had all sorts of problems. The door kept getting stuck. And the grip was horrible on the handle thing to open it. It turned out part of the lock was bent crooked. Ok so I thought I should bring some pliers just so I could open it. And I was thinking of fixing my locker since the school wouldn't do it. Turns out pliars along with most other tools are considered weapons. And because of this it almost always took me two to three minutes to get my locker open. That time the school went to far with the zero tolerence policy.

they dont allow pliars? then why dont they stop allowing sissors and pens and pencils, they are more dangerous than pliars or any tools. we even use scalples and those really sharp paper cutter thingys in art in the sixth grade. as i can remember 2 people cut themselves.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yea...at my school teachers throw stuff at you. The other day my drama teacher threw a stool against the wall. Scary! They also cuss. Lol.

And then majority dont care if you skip, drink, do drugs, right under their nose! Its like theyve given up on us. I know a few teachers who "see" a few students after class, too. And thats not just rumor.

Wow....it is corrupt!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

they dont allow pliars? then why dont they stop allowing sissors and pens and pencils, they are more dangerous than pliars or any tools. we even use scalples and those really sharp paper cutter thingys in art in the sixth grade. as i can remember 2 people cut themselves.

Exactly. They have already been used as weapons and will continue to be used as them in the school. Immature students see it as "fun" to stab, cut, steal and harm other kids. Some kids even go so far as to look for fights. The sad thing is, it is never delt with and therefore the kids continue to do so unpunished.

[edit on 9/2/2004 by SirKillallott]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join