It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Richard Hoagland’s Selective Numerology of Comet Elenin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Comet Elenin has been in the “alternative” media a lot for the past few months for reasons that I cannot fathom other than to think that the state of mind of most people has regressed several thousand years. I haven’t done any posts on it because there’s simply nothing to “debunk” as there’s nothing marvelous to report about it.

Putting that aside, Coast to Coast AM‘s science advisor, Richard C. Hoagland, was on last night (August 29/30) for two hours espousing more about his hyperbolic geometry and its relation to Comet Elenin. Far from being doomy and gloomy, Hoagland seems to believe that Elenin is actually an advanced spaceship sent from a previous advanced society from Earth to us to help get us out of trouble.

His evidence? Numerology.

Source

Since Hoagland's claims seem to have a few threads about them now I figured this article would fit right in with the current discussion. Just to preface this, Stuart Robbins is a postdoctoral researcher in astronomy, so this is not just a random blogger making these claims. I fail to see how anyone can continue to take Hoagland seriously, let alone treat him as an authority in anything. He has demonstrated time and again that his knowledge of astronomy is less than stellar, yet when he gets called out on this people are told to keep and open mind. I'm all for keeping an open mind, but when a person's premises are faulty no amount of open mindedness is going to change the fact that their conclusion is wrong.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Well judging from what is written in the sourced article here, what hoagland is claiming certainly seem to be just hogwash, easy to discard. But then again, this entire article obviously is made to debunk or discredit him. I guess i will have to try to find some more info here, to get a better viewpoint.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Oh, I so agree! Somehow, we have drifted back to the Middle Ages, listening to this so frequently-wrong man explain our universe in terms of strange sights in the sky and on other planets, and indulge in the mumbo-jumbo of numerology (and not even a sophisticated form of it!) to establish whether the strange sight bodes well or evil for his audience.

Basically, this is the primitive language of prophecy and omens, but even Harold Camping (who essentially used a different method of analytic numerology to interpret the Bible) wasn't daft enough to conclude that there was a time travelling spaceship on its way.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Open-mindedness is one thing, but when it comes down to deciding his real worth, what else can any thinking person do except debunk and discredit Richard Hoagland?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

his knowledge of astronomy is less than stellar

This nearly cost you a star and a flag!

new topics

top topics

join