It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Overtime Rules Start Monday

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Indy,

No everybody can afford to work only 40 a week to feed their family, most people work two jobs to make ends meet. If you are lucky enough to have a 40 hour a week job and are enough for you and your family then you will not need the overtime pay anyway.

My husband is retired from the military so he gets retirement he also work a full time job and he also has a part time job.

So I am talking with experience around here, having a child in college is why my husband has a part time job, he has a full time job because retirement will not feed the family alone.

This pay check cut for some families is going to hurt them badly and is not going to be the well off but the regular American your wait and see how bad the idea is going to be, more dissatisfy citizens against bush policies.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm sure alot of people need OT to survive. I've been there before. Watch how many employers try and find a way to shift people into non OT positions. This new law will also result in lost jobs. Why? Why hire a new person when you can just overwork your existing staff. This is a law designed to shift the wealth of the country more and more to the top few percent.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
This just gives people permission to work the higher up people like dogs, for no overtime. The less you have to do the more you can work, and get paid? That doesnt make sense.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
This new law is, from what I understand, supposed to rearrange who gets overtime, basically eliminating it for some supervisory positions. However, someone (I think you, no?) said it was only restricting overtime for people who make 100 thousand dollars a year.

This new law is designed not only to limit overtime for those making over >$100k (and also to extend overtime benefits to anyone making less than $23k--previously the threshhold was $8k), but the controversial part is a nebulous redesignation of who is allowed overtime, which will effect even those making between $23k & $100k. If you make an hourly wage and your job can be designated as professional, administrative, or managerial, you are no longer entitled to overtime.

Of course, the classification of job titles are left up to each firm, so the redesignation is pretty much left up to your firms descretion. Employees can challenge the redesignation if they want to spend money on legal fees and probably lose their job in the process. Luckily, some states have stronger labor laws that will override this federal law, so not everyone will be immediately impacted. In time, however, firms located in these states will lobby local governments to adapt the federal standards.

This law is also meant to benefit larger businesses as firms that have annual revenues less than $500k and don't participate in interstate commerce are exempted.

This is a serious blow to many employees where overtime is a requirement. Simply walking out the door at 5pm will put job status in jeopardy and it will likely result in poor performance reviews, lower raises, limited chances for advancement, and even termination. This leaves the door wide open for companies to abuse hourly workers.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
lmgnyc,

Amen to that post and very well said.

In other words if you are in salary you don't have to worry, if you have a job that working 40 hours a week will support your family you don't need it either, but if you are like most American trying to make a living and survive from pay day to pay day, well Mr. bush just blow another one on you. God saved the king and his loyal big money making business with disregard of the regular citizen in this country.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Thought that this is somewhat appropriate for this discussion

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I love those posters/calanders.

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
Thought that this is somewhat appropriate for this discussion

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join