It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO kills ex-Guantanamo detainee in Afghanistan.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

NATO kills ex-Gitmo detainee in Afghanistan.

www.boston.com

KABUL, Afghanistan—NATO and Afghan forces killed a former Guantanamo detainee who had become a key al-Qaida affiliate after returning to Afghanistan, officials said Saturday. Sabar Lal Melma, who was released from Guantanamo in 2007 after five years of detention, had been organizing attacks in eastern Kunar province and funding insurgent operations, NATO spokesman Capt. Justin Brockhoff said. A NATO statement described Melma as a "key affiliate of the al-Qaida network" who was in contact with...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

edit on 3-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
So this guy got released in 2007 so that he could got back to his sneaky activities to carry out attacks on NATO forces in Afghanistan.

I also know that GITMO was te thing that led to the Bin Laden Compund. I cna't be sure about Guantanamo bay is useful or not. But i mean half of them innocent in prison and some half of them not.

www.boston.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

Arrest me from my home country, lock me up in solitary confinement for absolutely no reason, then release me, damn right I'll fight.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

If he wasn't a terrorist before, GITMO certainly turned him into one.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Yeah, he was fighting in Afghanistan [I mean being an innocent victim]. They pick him up and send him to Gitmo. Then all the bleeding hearts pressure the Government to release him. Why? [Because he was an innocent victim] then he goes back to his previous activities of being an innocent victim [I mean fighting] and gets killed.

Sounds about right oozi er um confreak...

edit on 3-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Arrest me from my home country, lock me up in solitary confinement for absolutely no reason, then release me, damn right I'll fight.

and damn right you will die.

BTW, the "you" is general not you personally. Somebody who gets lucky to get out of Gitmo only to go straight to a battlefield should expect to get killed.
edit on 3-9-2011 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Let's all beat our chests, do a little jig and sing songs glorifying the death of this man.

Can we throw a party every time somebody dies? Maybe we can put the bodies up on display, maybe play "Pin the tail on the dead terrorist" or something like that - you know, get the party spirit going cause god knows we all love a good gruesome death don't we.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

he was not a terrorist , he was a freedom fighter and he was fighting against an invader of his country.
if the tables was turned and it was your country that was invaded , i am sure that many of you would do the same
and if you did , would you call yourself a terrorist or an insurgent . ( i think not ) but you would think of yourself as a member of the resistance movement or a freedom fighter

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Awwwww.
*sob*
*weep*

People die in war. Preferably enemy people. GITMO didn't turn this dirt-napping idiot into an enemy. He did it himself.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
GITMO didn't turn this dirt-napping idiot into an enemy. He did it himself.

If I was tortured for years on end with only flimsy charges holding me there (evident in the fact he was released), you can be damned sure I would spend the rest of my days planning gory and gruesome ways to get back at those who did it to me.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

If I was tortured for years on end with only flimsy charges holding me there (evident in the fact he was released), you can be damned sure I would spend the rest of my days planning gory and gruesome ways to get back at those who did it to me.

I kinda thought that was half the idea of Gitmo, create real terrorists so you have something to base the future war on terror on.

edit on 3-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties

Originally posted by beezzer
GITMO didn't turn this dirt-napping idiot into an enemy. He did it himself.

If that is the case, then two words.

EPIC FAIL!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

More likely, We are at war and we may detain prisoners of any legitimate sort for as long as those hostilities remain. Remember the war on terrorism is still going on. We have tried to return as many of those prisoners as possible to their country of origin but only if those countries have legitimate, friendly governments and will agree not to torture the returning prisoners. Many countries will not accept returnees. That is a major reason why we still have about 250 detainees in Gitmo and why President Obama cannot fulfill his campaign promise to close Gitmo.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm not quite catching your drift - what's epic fail?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

I'm not quite catching your drift - what's epic fail?

His "revenge".

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill

he was not a terrorist , he was a freedom fighter and he was fighting against an invader of his country.
if the tables was turned and it was your country that was invaded , i am sure that many of you would do the same
and if you did , would you call yourself a terrorist or an insurgent . ( i think not ) but you would think of yourself as a member of the resistance movement or a freedom fighter

How is he a freedom fighter when he in fact commands to blow up civilians and carry out attacks on NATO troops and civilians LMAO epic fail. More civilians were killed by their fellow Afghan countrymen than by Coalition Forces. The United States military works to keep collateral damage to a minimum and reduce civilian casualties as much as possible.

The problem is that the enemy is one that hides among the civilian populace, blending in and using the innocents for cover. In the kind of war that's being fought in Afghanistan, every single civilian is armed with a weapon. In a quick moment, a civilian can turn into a combatant, and then resume the cover of being just a regular civilian again.

The United States military doesn't kidnap children, strap bombs to them and send them to checkpoints asking for hugs. The Taliban does that. The United States military doesn't force women to hide weapons under their robes, ready to spray lead at the nearest crowded market and kill as many as possible. The Taliban does that.
edit on 3-9-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paulioetc15

We have tried to return as many of those prisoners as possible to their country of origin but only if those countries have legitimate, friendly governments and will agree not to torture the returning prisoners.

What? Nonsense. GITMO tortures the Christ out of them then asks that the countries they are being returned to not torture them? Sounds like a big wad of cow faeces to me.

Many countries will not accept returnees. That is a major reason why we still have about 250 detainees in Gitmo and why President Obama cannot fulfill his campaign promise to close Gitmo.

I'd say it's more like they are scared what the prisoners are going to say about their years of torture, and the consequences thereof - therefore they keep them locked up.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

We have tried to return as many of those prisoners as possible to their country of origin but only if those countries have legitimate, friendly governments and will agree not to torture the returning prisoners.

What? Nonsense. GITMO tortures the Christ out of them then asks that the countries they are being returned to not torture them? Sounds like a big wad of cow faeces to me.

Many countries will not accept returnees. That is a major reason why we still have about 250 detainees in Gitmo and why President Obama cannot fulfill his campaign promise to close Gitmo.

I'd say it's more like they are scared what the prisoners are going to say about their years of torture, and the consequences thereof - therefore they keep them locked up.

Nah i guess......it's just off my mind..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Yeah, he was fighting in Afghanistan [I mean being an innocent victim]. They pick him up and send him to Gitmo. Then all the bleeding hearts pressure the Government to release him. Why? [Because he was an innocent victim] then he goes back to his previous activities of being an innocent victim [I mean fighting] and gets killed.

Sounds about right oozi er um confreak...

edit on 3-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Well technically a good terrroist is a dead terrorist. i don't think GITMO is going to close soon due to the fact some terrroist in and some will go out to be Al-Qaeda.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The United States military works to keep collateral damage to a minimum and reduce civilian casualties as much as possible.

Tell that to these Iraqi journalists just going about their daily business.....only to be chopped to pieces by an AC-130 gunship then run over by tanks.......US of course....

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9ff5cc743637.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join