It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans don't belong on earth?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
As much as I am one, and as much as I require technology...humans are a sad species. Sure, we are the only technically advanced species on Earth, but we have "evolved" to require technology. While animals rely on rocks, caves, water and other animals (for food)...we require housing, refrigerators, air-conditioning, etc. Many of us would even be lost without a calculator or a spell checker.

Whether we did this to ourselves, or if it was "helped along" by "someone" else...we can not survive without our technology. That makes us (in my opinion) the most vulnerable species on earth. A huge solar event, the Earth's axis changing, climate change, etc...it wouldn't take much to make us fall to our knees while other animals could just shrug it off. If they even knew it happened.

We just got our power back after 12 hours without. Before that...we went 4 days without power. I now have to throw away all our food in the refrigerator, drive to the grocery store in my car which uses gas, go shopping, scan my debit card to pay, drive home and...wait for it...here it comes...put the new food back in the refrigerator. What if the power goes out again? I (apparently) don't care and don't mind repeating this process again, and again. Why? I rely on the convenience and chance that it won't go away for some period of time.

But what if it went away forever. What if the refrigerator would never work again? What if the car would never run again? What if my debit card stopped working? Could I deal with that, get and store food successfully? I don't really know. And that is only on the topic of feeding my family.

Of course I don't want to live under a rock or in a cave, eat other "live" animals and forage for water. But the question I have to ask myself is "COULD I" if I had to? Not sure about that. But my favorite show is coming on TV and I haven't seen it in a while. I'll get back to that question afterwards. Won't I?????

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
You know I always thought the same way but read this topic and actually looked into it a little bit..and quickly find information like this..
Chimps

Female chimpanzees carefully nurture their young. Babies can grasp their mother's fur to ride on the mother's back at about 6 months. After they are weaned, chimpanzees begin to build their own sleeping nests out of vegetation and not use their mother's nest anymore. Young chimpanzees stay with their mother for about 7 years.

So as is evident, given a chimps 40 year lifespan in the wild (half a human)
It makes sense that their young stays with the mother for a similar amount of time (comparatively) that a human takes to reach near physical maturity (but most definitely not emotional maturity :lol)
edit on 4-9-2011 by facchino because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Ariess

While I agree with most of what you are saying, I don't believe mongoloid is a subversive or derogatory term. It is a scientific term used to describe the shape of a skull. Mongoloid- Asian decent, Negroid-African decent, and Caucasoid-European decent, etc.

en.wikipedia.org...
www.associatepublisher.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by gnosis111

mongoloid
Definition
mon·gol·oid
[ móng gə lòyd ]
To hear the pronunciation, install Silverlight
ADJECTIVE
offensive term: a former term meaning affected by Down syndrome, now considered highly offensive ( dated )
Content above provided by
Encarta® World English Dictionary[North American Edition] © & (P) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.All rights reserved. Developed for Microsoft by Bloomsbury Publishing Plc.

In context "That's why you get mongoloids in the best of families, mongoloids in the lowest of families, and all around the world, and that's what genetic defects are."

I associated the term with all primitive looking defects. I guess he could mean the other some how...
edit on 4-9-2011 by Ariess because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Humans may not have feathers, scales, etc.. But we were blessed with intelligence to understand the concept of too much hot or too much cold = uncertain death. We seek shelter by instinct, dunno when the last time was I saw a chicken build a fire.

Just my two cents.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I have to disagree with this statement. This is our planet and we no reason to believe otherwise. Like many other posts before me have stated, we do not need houses to live. Our own society has forced each one of us to live our lives that way. In post apocalyptic times, I'm sure survivors to whatever is coming will make it just fine living in a cave with enough supplies to sustain them. Also...we can't hunt? What makes you say that? I'm perfectly capable of trapping and killing animals with or without weapons...and I'm a girl. I'm pretty sure the human race has it in them to go after their food in an animalistic way. It's not very smart to base your argument on the fact that we don't look like other creatures on this planet. We did at one point in history...we just evolved. Something all animals on the face of the Earth have gone through (as you yourself also stated).

100% disagree with you.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

The only thing that Pye owns is the third spot in the triumvirate of frauds, after Sitchin and van Däniken, when it comes to the concept of alien intervention over evolution. You know the easiest way to tell that Pye has no clue what he's talking about and is just out to fleece people who desperately want to believe? His claims that horizontal gene transfer and DNA inversions can't occur in nature. You can literally find hundreds, if not thousands, of papers on PubMed describing those mechanisms occurring in nature. Isn't that something a second year biomedical science student should know?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
There is only one creature on this planet with skin like ours, and can get sunburned...a pig

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Darwin's view of things. I rather be on the caring side than the side that says "your at the top and your alone."

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Thoughts?
You live in the city.
Now go mow the lawn.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

We did evolve from it though. Ultimately, it's what we adapted to become.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by sith9157

Though pigs flesh is pretty similar to ours almost all animals with exposed skin can get sunburned. Elephants are know to throw sand on their backs to prevent this. Other animals roll in mud.

www.smithsonianmag.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreAWAKE
As much as I am one, and as much as I require technology...humans are a sad species. Sure, we are the only technically advanced species on Earth, but we have "evolved" to require technology. While animals rely on rocks, caves, water and other animals (for food)...we require housing, refrigerators, air-conditioning, etc. Many of us would even be lost without a calculator or a spell checker.

Whether we did this to ourselves, or if it was "helped along" by "someone" else...we can not survive without our technology. That makes us (in my opinion) the most vulnerable species on earth. A huge solar event, the Earth's axis changing, climate change, etc...it wouldn't take much to make us fall to our knees while other animals could just shrug it off. If they even knew it happened.

We just got our power back after 12 hours without. Before that...we went 4 days without power. I now have to throw away all our food in the refrigerator, drive to the grocery store in my car which uses gas, go shopping, scan my debit card to pay, drive home and...wait for it...here it comes...put the new food back in the refrigerator. What if the power goes out again? I (apparently) don't care and don't mind repeating this process again, and again. Why? I rely on the convenience and chance that it won't go away for some period of time.

But what if it went away forever. What if the refrigerator would never work again? What if the car would never run again? What if my debit card stopped working? Could I deal with that, get and store food successfully? I don't really know. And that is only on the topic of feeding my family.

Of course I don't want to live under a rock or in a cave, eat other "live" animals and forage for water. But the question I have to ask myself is "COULD I" if I had to? Not sure about that. But my favorite show is coming on TV and I haven't seen it in a while. I'll get back to that question afterwards. Won't I?????

Humans survived without all that before. We could do it again if we had to.
edit on 4-9-2011 by IlluminatusOculus33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
noreply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

you bring up some good points just my point of view is ; in nature when animals are born and have any defects they are out cast and left to die cuz they are to weak. i think the reason why we as humans are not evolving to a higher stage of being is cuz the advisement's in technology is make are lives easy and our body weaker in the evolution scene.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
Think about it.
Cats, dog etc, have fur, feathers, scales etc to protect them from their natural enviroment, they dont need to live in houses, they are born perfect without dissabilities, due to evolution and the survival of the fittest.
Hell horses on their first day they are born, they are running around, not that i like horses, just pointing it out.

Those animals have perfect night vision, humans can barely see in the dark.

Humans on the other hand, need houses, humans make the enviroment adapt to them, human babies are too weak on their first day of birth, they born naked, hungry etc, it takes humans at least 18 years to be somewhat self sufficient.
We need shelter to live, we can't live in the open, we'll die, wolves will kill us, predators will kill us, the cold will kill us, we can't hunt, we have to kill cattle etc.

Animals are born perfect, survival of the fittes, if they're disabled theyre left to die, humans on the other hand we have variation, some are disabled, some are smart, some are dumb, does the animals in the wild have this?

Humans aren't a natural part of this ecosystem, mother nature is not our mother, but a cold hard bitch who wants us dead.

Thoughts?

edit on 3-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

I think that if you spent some serious time, alone, with nature. You would feel quite differently. Go to your nearest nature reserve, or if you are in a more rural area, just anywhere where you are in a natural habitat, and walk out to somewhere that the likelyhood of running into other people is quite low. Once there just sit down, look, listen, and feel.

Try to become conscious of your environment, sort tapped in, to where it becomes sort of an extention of you. This is sort of like how your keyboard sort of becomes an extention of you when you become a proficient typer. I think that if you take this excercize seriously, and perform it, you will come to a realization of just how much you do belong to nature, and the earth, and just how nurturing your mother, of whos body you are born, is.
edit on 4-9-2011 by renegadeloser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeAreAWAKE

I, for one, am confident that I, me personally, could survive with as little as my bear hands in most of the climates on this planet. The only exceptions are the harsh desert, and the tundra, and even the harsh desert would be doable, though I would need at least a good hat.

I'm also confident that I wouldn't have to rely on my bear hands. Making something like a stone knife is not that hard, I think that if they tried, the average person could make one, with no prior knowledge, over the course of a day. Shelter is maybe a days work. Many edible animals can be captured with your bear hands. In las vegas where I live, sort of on the outskirts, there are small, edible lizards in vast abundance. There is water in the ground here also. If you go near the base of the valley and dig, you hit water before going all that deep. maybe 15 ft. Also throughout the majave desert there is ground water, which is easy to find because wherever there is water in the ground, there is greenery on top of it. This is true at least in the majave desert.

During this time of year there are dear in the mountains to the north of us, which can be trapped. Once you have trapped a dear you have quite alot of food. If you know how to dry it out/smoke it, this can feed you for weeks. Also the tendons and bones of dear can be used to make a bow and arrow.

The only issue at hand is that all of this requires alot of work. The lucky thing is that humans are social animals, and thus, all of this work can be divided, and accomplished, in relatively short order. Your average man, who lives in a rural area, and is a hunter/outdoorsmen, would be able to manage in nearly any circumstances. Your average big city guy, who has never been in the wild, and sees it as this sort of feroscious monster, would probably not.

However, this is not because the City Dwelling person would be incapable of surviving. Quite the contrary, if he just went for it, and actively pursued avenues of survival, he (or she) would probably do fine. However this city person has had his eyes blinded, he believes that he needs technology, therefor he does simply because he believes it. He would be ide, passively awaiting his death, waiting for the power to turn back on, and the grocery store to restock.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I brought this up a few pages past but it got ignored so I'll say it again.

Humans obviously don't have some charateristics of other animals which would make survival more likely. Sure we can use animal fur and fire to keep warm but a built in fur coat would be handy in the wild. We aren't as strong as some apes either. We can't run as fast, sense of smell is weaker, eye sight isn't as good and we don't have sharp teeth or claws.

A smart and physically fit animal has a better chance of survival than a smart and weak animal.

So why LOSE these charateristics which would help us hunt?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

On the other hand, modern inventions have helped us come out of the Dark Ages. In the Colonial Times, our fearless leader George Washington had to read by candlelight, which had to be hand dipped in those days. If not for the candle, our colonial ancestors would have had to go to bed at dusk or walk around in the dark. Now we have the light bulb and the freedom to do what we want when we want. Do we want freedom or au naturel? I love nature but I love advancement.

There is a downside, of course, to the light bulbs at night. Our circadian rhythms are geared toward light and dark. It is known that our pineal gland produces melanin and the dark triggers it and light inhibits. Seems our pineal gland is responsive to the variance and was an adaptive thing.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We do but not all of us want to be like Tarzan

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
I brought this up a few pages past but it got ignored so I'll say it again.

Humans obviously don't have some charateristics of other animals which would make survival more likely. Sure we can use animal fur and fire to keep warm but a built in fur coat would be handy in the wild. We aren't as strong as some apes either. We can't run as fast, sense of smell is weaker, eye sight isn't as good and we don't have sharp teeth or claws.

A smart and physically fit animal has a better chance of survival than a smart and weak animal.

So why LOSE these charateristics which would help us hunt?

We ARE physically fit when raised in an environment that demands it. It's only in our pampered civilized society that weakness is supported. Not only that, but we have excellent endurance. This allows us to track our prey to exhaustion, going in for the kill with tools and other devices that our intelligence allows us to craft. Being as strong as an ape requires more energy. Why squander energy when our brains compensate for our relative physical weaknesses? We don't need the sharpest vision, the thickest hide, the strongest limbs etc. when we have our brains to compensate. Evidently our intelligence has served us well so far.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join