It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Sensational!] Red Mercury Mentioned in leaked Diplomatic Cables

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Is it just me here or does anyone else think that Red Mercury could refer to virtually ANYTHING?

I've noticed the Military and Intelligence community just love to play word games. Stargate wasn't really a project ran at Fort Meade, Md...No, it's a Sci-Fi movie. Area 51 aliens? Oh..You mean you played the video game right? Yeah...Whatever Red Mercury may have once referred to or meant a couple decades ago, it could be nothing more than a new home brew of plastic explosive or someone's family recipe for fudge brownies. The cable here only proves the two words are definitely in use, they refer to something and a couple yahoos might have had some at one point. Maybe.

Doesn't sound like much to base a theory or anything else on to me? It's worth at least noting the usage though...in case something that does matter surfaces at some later date, I suppose.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Sounds a lot like mercury fulminate.

used to be used in primers. hairy stuff to make and just a bit this side of nitro.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

To his credit, the diplomat doesnt believe there is any validity to their claims.

The material being referenced in that particular instance was Uranium.

*All I ask is that you read the contents of the OP before commenting.

If you had done that, I wouldn't be making this post to correct you.

edit on 4-9-2011 by Exuberant1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I had always believed that "Red Mercury" was a codename for a nuclear isomer that was produced by the Russians to create "suitcase nukes".

Specifically it was an isotope of Tantalum which could be "charged" in a nuclear reactor and stored the energy and would "dump" it when triggered by a simple X-Ray flash and would then leave Hafnium as a decay by-product or, alternately it was an isotope of Hafnium with similar properties.

This could either be used as a trigger for a nuclear device or as a nuclear device itself.

"Red Mercury" was neither red, nor was it in any way related to the element Mercury.

secure.wikimedia.org...

secure.wikimedia.org...
edit on 4/9/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
reply to post by OccamAssassin

That is what people have been saying for years....

... and until my brother found those papers, people would have had no clue that it was apparently being treated as though it were real.

But nuclear physicists don't write these articles diplomats do.

And they are normal human beings like us. Everyone in your government isn't "in on it".

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by kykweer

And they are normal human beings like us. Everyone in your government isn't "in on it".

You don't say.

Good thing you did though, none of us would have ever figured that out on our own.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
As a mental excercise,I guess the debate has merit...but to be so passionate about something(either way)that has no actual bearing on anything surprises me....if something gets blown up with it,then the people affected will be dead and the doers will be pursued but its existance or not will never cause anything to be done...Im saying that even if it is proved this morning that it exists,nothing will be changed...so as some sort of intelectual excercise to debate it,ok...but lighten up people...NOTHING you say or do will change a single thing about "red mercury" 's existance in The World

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by gandamack2
As a mental excercise,I guess the debate has merit...

Lol there is no debate.

The cables discuss red mercury, case closed.

*Unless someone is prepared to proffer to classified information, this is as good as it gets.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

I was referring to the argument about the "authenticy" of the cables themselves....I understand people being passsionate about a subject but somethimes on ATS people get mean about their viewpoints

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

... and until my brother found those papers, people would have had no clue that it was apparently being treated as though it were real.

Last I checked the staff at most Embassys are usually CIA trained agents conducting intelligence gathering. Diplomatic cables and pouch deliveries are used to send that intelligence back to the CIA or other Govt entities.

If these cables were just "diplomatic chuff" there would be no controversy over them being un-redacted and naming "sources", putting lives in danger etc. Obviously they contain US intelligence data.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Do you think the Red Mercury could be a code name for Element 115?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

Last I checked the staff at most Embassys are usually CIA trained agents conducting intelligence gathering. Diplomatic cables and pouch deliveries are used to send that intelligence back to the CIA or other Govt entities.

If these cables were just "diplomatic chuff" there would be no controversy over them being un-redacted and naming "sources", putting lives in danger etc. Obviously they contain US intelligence data.

Most embassys? Well this is in central Africa, so I doubt america would expect to send and expert on red matter there. I'm sure the matter was investigated by top CIA agents for its a serious security matter, but whether the original cable was written by an actual expert is very arguable (in my opinion).

ETA: I'm not sure but I think wikileaks aren't naming people but they are named on the original cables, wikileaks DID leave out the names for security purposes.
edit on 6-9-2011 by kykweer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
If any of you guys find news stories about this red mercury wikileaks, please post them here.

I'd like to keep track of them and I'm sure many of you would too.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

goo.gl...

Must be a cover up.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by freelance_zenarchist

That link doesn't look legit.

I'm not clicking it.

Do you have another version?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Well it could be a link to install CIPAV on your computer, or it could just be a shortened URL to the google search results you were asking for.

Which do you think is more likely?

For reals though, you probably won't find any news reports coming out about this because these were actually released last year.

www.guardian.co.uk...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 8-9-2011 by freelance_zenarchist because: ♥ ♥ ♥

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Thanks Ex -- interesting topic. *bump*

I look forward to our pro's chiming in on the debate regarding exactly what red mercury is, but until then I think it might be a fun journey to focus on what Muzzleflash pointed out:

WHAT EXACTLY WAS THE CATHOLIC CHURCH'S INVOLVEMENT!!????

(sorry for shouting, but I read Ex's quote from the cable 5X -- and couldn't believe my eyes!)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join