It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Sensational!] Red Mercury Mentioned in leaked Diplomatic Cables

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I remember there was a flurry of media coverage about Red Mercury after the fall of the soviet union. Caused a bit of a flap over the possibility of suitcase nuclear weapons. It was in the MSM, I remember a Channel 4 news story on it. Then it was discredited and all went quiet.

One wonders if the stuff actually does exist. If it does, and it is capable of being used to start a fusion bomb without radioactive materials then its very scary indeed and the soviets were fools to create it. If ever a genie deserved to be locked quietly in a bottle it would be this.

Imagine if Iran or North Korea could make it. Nut-jobs the world over would line up for their own personal apocalypse in a suitcase.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nikola014

Nope.

I wasn't going to make the thread until I realize some of you are interested in this stuff. I figured I'd deal with the usual hassle for the people who want to know about red mercury and the latest news on it.

I do this for free as a service to a community which I care about.

*And another thing: it is Sensational....

....A mythical substance being treated as real by the US government - by golly, that IS Sensational.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
While this new revelation is indeed intriguing, I can't help but remember the latest Star Trek movie where a mysterious substance called Red Matter was used to create black holes which in the movie was used to destroy the planet Romulus and the planet Vulcan.

It is within this movie that I find a similarity to this Red Mercury. While the properties are somewhat different, I still find it intriguing that such a substance even exists even if the current government denies it does.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out the Red Matter-Red Mercury similarity as being a good example of once again Hollywood, using predictive programming to show us something that is potentially a real substance while denying that it does exist.

Here is a link that will summarize and explain the movie synopsis while mentioning the Red Matter that made the movie plot so spell binding.

Enjoy the link that will explain the movie and the Red Matter that I refer to.

en.memory-alpha.org...

Thanks again for the thread.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull
reply to post by Exuberant1

Thank you very much.

I don't think we need to worry about legal ramifications. The whole world is viewing these and the media is ignoring them. Speaks volumes.

I would expect many fake stories to pop up claiming to be from the cables over the next few weeks.

Hey man, I got it. I know where your coming from. But I told you how to find the cables, and two minutes would have confirmed everything and no members would be at increased risk.

You especially have to be careful when you start doing the moderators work for them, as there is a good chance you could drive a legitimate scoop away from the site by handling something in a manner which their is already a procedure in place for. For example, the mods would have handled the issue off-thread using u2u and then the OP would update his up with the links and wouldn't feel so discouraged.

Alot of people have very thin skins these days (tell me you've noticed), so you risk losing those folks when you do the mods work for them. That being said, if you think you are being deceived, I hope you use google instead of alerting ze mods every time.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The reason the myth exists is talked about here:
wiki.answers.com...

It's like a cheese trap for mice

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

no where does the US govt claim or admitt that " red mercury" is real

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

no where does the US govt claim or admitt that " red mercury" is real

That's the whole point of the thread

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonnywhite
The reason the myth exists is talked about here:
wiki.answers.com...

It's like a cheese trap for mice

Or ATS members..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If you want to read the unredacted cables here's a link: cables.mrkva.eu...

The ID for the two cables in question are: 07BUJUMBURA479 & 07BUJUMBURA515

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Mercury oxide is red and more than likely what they are talking about.
Only conspiracy theories tag another idea on to that phrase.
And as such would not be talked about in an unclassified communication.
Spoken of to be nonexistent as the War in Laos once was perhaps.
Red Mercury is name drop. We do not know from where it came from or
who has it or any diagrams of its use. Its like a UFO name drop that has
nothing of substance.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne

You can't know that.

Anyhow the fact is Red Mercury was talked about in Diplomatic Cables. So now we know that.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I might have seen some documentary on the substance being gathered in Russia.
I heard of the substance in connection with Nazi efforts on WMDs for 3,000 mile
range V3s or 4s perhaps only because we are told Germany had no Uranium
in time. This substitution of material seems unlikely as Nazis were not in Russia
to find any Red Mercury. Unless they went elsewhere as who expected yellow
cake Uranium to be in Africa. Perhaps a distraction by Nazi intelligence was to
hoax a neutron bomb of red mercury with a test in Libya by Rommel's Troops
in North Africa. This would only add the the already known secrets of weaponry.
The payload of choice for the super V2's was a WMD which silos in France
were ready for launching. The WMD had to come from somewhere for the V2+'s
so the mystery is turned to red mercury cause there was no Uranium.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
Spoken of to be nonexistent as the War in Laos once was perhaps.
Red Mercury is name drop. We do not know from where it came from or
who has it or any diagrams of its use. Its like a UFO name drop that has
nothing of substance.

Only conspiracy theorists and mainstream Pravda... below is an abstract of a 1993 article in Pravda:

Yeltsingate

Primakov, director of the Russian Foreign Intelligence Service, along with Burbulis, First Deputy Prime Minister and President Yeltsin are accused of suppressing all information about the 'red mercury' (identified as Hg2Sb2O7), while selling it abroad for hard currency. The memorandum prepared by Primakov for Burbulis outlines the huge potential for exporting 'red mercury,' a super-conductive material used for producing high-precision conventional and nuclear bomb explosives, 'stealth' surfaces and self-guided warheads. The memorandum also provided market rate for one gram of the material (from $320 to $380).

Primakov has advised Burbulis that the 'red mercury' was being illegally exported through various intermediaries in Eastern and Central Europe (e.g. the Hungarian company Ferrometa KFT). Primary end-users are major aerospace and nuclear-industry companies in the USA and France along with the nations aspiring to join the nuclear club, such as South Africa, Israel, Iran, Iraq and Libya. On the basis of the memorandum, President Yeltsin signed Decree No.75-rps 'On the Promekologiya Concern' on 21 February 1992, which gave that company exclusive rights to storage, transportation and exports of 'red mercury.' The annual export quota for Promekologiya was set at 10 tons. Apart from that, the company was exempted from taxation. Sadykov, President of Promekologiya, responded with a letter urging tight regulation over unsanctioned 'red mercury' exports, conducted mostly by former KGB operatives and Communist Party apparatchiks. Sadykov also emphasized that his company has already received over $40 billion in orders from various major companies abroad. On 20 March 1993, President Yeltsin nullified the decree 'On the Promekologiya Concern,' allegedly in order to prevent any public scrutiny of the operation.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Why the hell is the Catholic Mission buying 12g of Red Mercury?

It probably does exist, it's totally feasible.

Definition 4 - product of nuclear reaction, highly volatile, doesn't require fission reaction to set off a boom, etc.
Sounds about right.

We won't find out for like a decade or longer though, because a substance of this nature is extremely dangerous and would have 10x the security that typical nuclear materials would have.

Great find though. According to these cables it does in fact exist.
edit on 3-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

www.google.com...

www.rense.com/general57/red.htm - Cached Sep 24, 2004 – Sam Cohen, the physicist who invented the neutron bomb, sheds a little ... by their implosion of a shell lined with Hg2Sb2O7 saturated with Pu, ...

top of the list but it is at rense.com
which sends us here
www.manuelsweb.com...

we also have
www.google.com...

Antimony Oxide Mercury ( Sb2o7hg2 ) www.aaaoe.com/product/show2/?doid=88221&msd=&s... - Cached Antimony Oxide Mercury ( Sb2o7hg2 ), Sales leads, Trade Leads, Wholesale, Import, Export, Marketplace.

and

[PDF] Polish Weekly Eyes Potential Proliferation of Soviet Biological ... dtirp.dtra.mil/cbw/news/ng/ng_17jul05_1.pdf File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View mercury (RM 20/20, chemical formula Sb2O7Hg2), the basic material for producing cheap, miniaturized neutron bombs. Red mercury is a kind of highly thick gel. ...

With that much coverage its got to be harmless except for the mercury which is
harmful in many ways.

In lighting the electrically excited vapor gives off UV rays.
So is a UV bomb going to scare us or are neutrons pumped out by the K Capture
of Tesla but that is neutrinos.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Red Mercury is code for nuclear materials obtained from former Soviet weapons labs.

At least that's what I've been told.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Could be a code word.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

So what do you think this Red Mercury stuff is?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Well, its seems to me, that it doesn't matter if its real or not, anyone seeking to purchase it is obviously seeking to blow something up. So any mention of it would be important to the government as we would want to watch these people.

Probably why it was mentioned in the cable, because its not the material thats important its the intent behind what they wanted that raised a red flag and merits mention in the cable.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Anyhow the fact is Red Mercury was talked about in Diplomatic Cables. So now we know that.

And I think thats the key here.
Diplomats write these things, not scientists.

So all we have here is a diplomat is repeating a story he heard from two "walk-in" subjects.
Chances of aforesaid diplomat knowing anything at all about nuclear science = 0%.
Reporting the story back to head office.
To his credit, the diplomat doesnt believe there is any validity to their claims.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join