It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The strangest weather ever recorded...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
After hearing of one of the most disastrous and freak Hailstorms occuring in Uganda I was intrigued as to how this hailstorm occured. As I was searching for this information I came across the most incredible historical hailstorms;

A new form of cloud seeding? In 1687, hail fell in England containing the seeds of ivy berries.

On 17 July 1841, a shower of heavy rain and hail in Derby, England was accompanied by hundreds of small fish and frogs, many of them very much alive.

Bucharest, Romania reported a rainstorm on 25 July 1872. But along with the rain fell myriads of small black worms that littered the streets.

Scientific American, in 1877, reported that a rain of snakes, some up to 18 inches long, fell over the southern part of the city of Memphis, Tennessee.

A thunderstorm that occurred in Germany on 9 August 1892 resulted in a heavy fall of rain...and hundreds of fresh water mussels.

In Spain, in 1902, a rain shower was observed in which the rain drops, upon touching the ground, gave off a crackling noise and emitted electrical sparks. The event lasted for less than ten seconds.

The term hailstone is a bit of a misnomer since no “rocks” are involved. However, in Sweden in 1925 a large chunk of limestone did fall from the sky, smashing into myriad pieces upon impact.

A thunderstorm near Vicksburg, MS in 1930 resulted in some rather interesting hailstones. One had a solid piece of alabaster 3/4 inch across. Another was a live 8" long gopher turtle, entirely encased in ice.

In December, 1933, huge hailstones were reported to have fallen around Worcester, MA, containing fresh, frozen ducks inside! Daffy weather, indeed

In 1953 the town of Leicester, MA was deluged by a fall of toads. Children were able to gather them up by the bucketful.

A peach of a storm. In 1961, a portion of Shreveport, LA was pelted by small, unripe peaches during a passing thunderstorm.

I was blown away by this information, especially the rain fall in Spain 1902, I am currently investigating this occurence and will post more about it. Dont hold your breath though, I imagine its not going to be easy finding out about some rain in 1902
wish me luck

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Its an amazing planet ! And it will always amaze and surprise the humanoid bi pods... Nice work !

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
how does rain pickup these objects is an act of god or falling from outer space from another planet.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
I read about similiar events in the book 'Lo!' by Charles Fort. Some of his other books also mention unusual events.

Fort started the book largely where he left off in The Book of the Damned: mysterious falls of animals and strange materials, flying stones, poltergeist activity, etc., and incorporated these strange phenomena into his new theory on teleportation, saying that teleportation from the Super-Sargasso Sea can explain these phenomena.

Lo!

If you have not read the book, you might enjoy it. Charles Fort wrote about many unusual events. There may be a free copy online somewhere.
edit on 3-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: add text

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by teotwawki77

Yes I am positive that God thought it would be a good idea to freeze Ducks and then drop them from the sky, sounds much more reasonable than Space Ducks

But i see what your getting at, it is incredible that these types of freak anomalys can occur. I do wonder at how they happened......

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This thread. The stuff you mention. Just blows me away. How in the world? The only thing I can guess is these reports.. they just can't be true. It is just too hard for me to believe any of them.

I sure hope you find some sort of proof, because this interests me very much. When I get back home today from work, I'll be doing some research myself... Very odd stuff.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

This article explains what I feel is occurring, if not from tornadoes, then from very strong updrafts. I think if the updraft was strong enough it could grab many of the objects in the OP and transport and distribute them over a wide area.

LONG-RANGE DEBRIS TRANSPORT AND FALLOUT

On the afternoon of May 7, 1995, a series of tornadoes produced significant damage (up to F3 intensity) in north-central Texas and south-central Oklahoma. Beginning the day after this event, press releases were distributed to news media along and downstream of the tornado track to alert residents to be on the lookout for transported debris. Fifty-two reports of long-range debris transport were received. (Here "long-range" refers to debris which was found greater than 8 km [5 mi] from its source.) Forty-three items were traced back to their point of origin, and trajectories outside the storm environment have been estimated using local VORTEX soundings, WSR-88D data, and fall speeds calculated from the actual debris collected.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well its not as strange as raining animals from the sky but still don't forget colored snow in Russian Siberia.
-In 2007. snow was orange > Source
-In 2009/2010, snow was yellow > Source
-in 2010. snow changed its color to purple! >Source

Also it has been reported that snow on Antarctica can get colorful too (green, red...). Thanks to algae from ocean.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I love stories of weird weather! I collect strange tells for the area around where I live (Eastern Tennessee). This thread reminded me of a book I have that has the story "The Day It Rained Blood and Gore".

It happened in Wilson County, Aug 6, 1841. "Blood" & bits of flesh fell from the sky. One reporter that investigated, stated that the bloody rain covered 40 to 60 yards wide and at least 600 to 800 yards long. The event was documented by several newspapers & samples where given to Professor Troost at the University of Nashville. He confirmed the flesh was animal flesh & the "blood" was red dust & "some gummy substance". Unfortunately the university took a beating for being involved, and they retracted their report. Despite this this event is generally believed to have happened.

There is also another story of it happening in Bath County, Kentucky on March 3, 1876.

I did a google search to see if I could find it posted online.... no luck, just a reference in another article about blood & flesh rains in California.

Accounts of flesh and blood raining down from the heavens have been recorded since the days of antiquity and witnessed by people from all over the world. Today, meteorologists and aerobiologists can explain the cause of many of these red rains as dust particles or bacteria. But what about reports of flesh falls? Pieces of flesh and gore have been known to fall from the sky, even in the days before powered flight. Some of the best examples of these events occurred in California in the 19th century, where eyewitnesses not only saw flesh and blood falling, but in some cases were even pelted by bits of meat. Source

The book I referenced from: Strange Tales of the Dark and Bloody Ground by Christopher K. Coleman

OiO
edit on 3-9-2011 by OneisOne because: spelling

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

From this FAQ page:

Sometimes you see pink or yellow stuff stuck to everything in a photo of tornado damage--what is that stuff? Insulation. The pink insulation from the walls of a home has draped trees as much as 50 miles from the point where a house was torn apart.

I suppose the same can occur if this happened say over a dairy farm, or other sort of area that contained animals in quantity. Seems that the description of how it rips apart insulation, one could suggest that flesh could be as well dispensed over a wide area if the animal was ripped apart by the powerful winds?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Red rain in Kerala, India

The Kerala red rain phenomenon was a blood rain (red rain) event that occurred from July 25 to September 23, 2001, when red-coloured rain sporadically fell on the southern Indian state of Kerala. Heavy downpours occurred in which the rain was colored red, staining clothes pink.[1]

Yellow, green, and black rain was also reported.[2][3][4] Colored rain had been reported in Kerala as early as 1896 and several times since then.[5] It was initially thought that the rains were colored by fallout from a hypothetical meteor burst, but a study commissioned by the Government of India concluded that the rains had been colored by airborne spores from locally prolific terrestrial algae.

Source

This story was very strange, at least to me. I do not think it was an alien life form, like the title of this video, but you can see what it looked like. I did not know that it could rain different colors. The rain was found to be organic, but was terrestrial in origin. I thought it was strange that it stained people's clothing, never heard of that before.

Weird Red Rain in India

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by digitalbluco
This thread. The stuff you mention. Just blows me away. How in the world? The only thing I can guess is these reports.. they just can't be true. It is just too hard for me to believe any of them.

I sure hope you find some sort of proof, because this interests me very much. When I get back home today from work, I'll be doing some research myself... Very odd stuff.

Its not 'proof', but there are some good reports considering that most of these occurences happened in the 19th Century;

Monthly Weather Review, Jan. 15, 1877
43)

That, in Memphis, Tenn., Jan. 15, 1877, rather strictly localized, or "in a space of two blocks," and after a violent storm in which rain "fell in torrents," snakes were found. They were crawling on sidewalks, in yards, and in streets, and in masses--but "none were found on roofs or any elevation above ground" and "none were seen to fall."

Falls of fishes, June 13, 1889, in Holland; ants, Aug. 1, 1889, Strasbourg; little toads, Aug. 2, 1889, Savoy.

Fall of ants, Cambridge, England, summer of 1874--"some were wingless." (Scientific American, 31-193.)(47) Enormous fall of ants, Nancy, France, July 21, 1887--"most of them were wingless" (Nature, 36-349.)(48) Fall of enormous, unknown ants--size of wasps--Manitoba, June, 1895. (Sci. Amer., 72-385.)(49)

London Times, April 24, 1837
51)

That, in the parish of Bramford Speke, Devonshire, a large number of black worms, about three-quarters of an inch in length, had fallen in a snow storm.

In Timb's Year Book, 1877-26, it is said that, in the winter of 1876, at Christiana, Norway, worms were found crawling upon the ground.(52) The occurrence is considered a great mystery, because the worms could not have come up from the ground, inasmuch as the ground was frozen at the time, and because they were reported from other places, also, in Norway.

Scientific American, July 12, 1873
4)

"A shower of frogs which darkened the air and covered the ground for a long distance is the reported result of a recent rainstorm at Kansas City, Mo."

As to having been there "in the first place": [79/80]

Little frogs found in London, after a heavy storm, July 30, 1838.

Hope this helps

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Here's a couple related threads with info for those that are interested in this phenomenon:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I wonder where "Raining Cats and Dogs" REEAALLLY came from!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is definitely a good way to spread different animals across the world without them having to swim lol

I'm guessing it's this sort of thing happened in the past that helped spread certain animals to islands etc, sort of like seeding the world with animals haha. Would that make sense?

Also would this be a fun way to die?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by dario86
Well its not as strange as raining animals from the sky but still don't forget colored snow in Russian Siberia.
-In 2007. snow was orange > Source
-In 2009/2010, snow was yellow > Source
-in 2010. snow changed its color to purple! >Source

Also it has been reported that snow on Antarctica can get colorful too (green, red...). Thanks to algae from ocean.

Do NOT drink the yellow snow.

----

To OP: Amazing thread, thank you for sharing. I'll be sure to pass this information on to as many people as possible. Especially Spains situation, haha.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You plan on sharing a link, or is this a secret lil gem that you wanna keep to yourself??

reply to post by teotwawki77

Originally posted by teotwawki77

how does rain pickup these objects is an act of god or falling from outer space from another planet.
Well, since rain [color=SkyBlue]falls, it could not possibly 'pick up' anything. That would be a different type of weather phenomenon, that took the objects up, such as a tornado. They later fall down along with the rain.

The droplets of water that fall from the sky, those that we call rain, where do they come from? Were they up in the sky all along?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hey, I got one more for your list :

"A 3 hours hail storm"

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Rain of worms in cajun country, 2007:
www.kplctv.com...

This type of thing is actually quite frequent. I've seen other stories like the above just in the last 5 years or so. Sometimes the waterspout/tornado theory may work, but many times that theory is just as farfetched as saying UFOs or God did it.
I second the Charles Fort recommendation. His books are awesome and chock full of things like this.

Strange things are afoot....or that mad fishmonger is one really busy dude (Fort reference).

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Many of these could really be anything from a large scale meteor hitting water, do an EM storm in space coming into contact with the Earth.

Not really sighs of anything all that strange, just one of those. I guess, crazy days.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join