It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A hot issue on the campaign trail: theology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Rick Perry dived right in. The Texas governor, now a Republican presidential candidate, held a prayer rally for tens of thousands, read from the Bible, invoked Christ and broadcast the whole event on the Web. There was no symbolic nod to other American faiths, no rabbi or Roman Catholic priest among the evangelical speakers. It was a rare, full-on embrace of one religious tradition in the glare of a presidential contest. Looks like another raucous season for religion and politics. And yet, there was a time when all of this was simpler. Protestants were the majority, and candidates could show their piety just by attending church. Now, politicians are navigating a landscape in which rifts over faith and policy have become chasms. An outlook that appeals to one group enrages another. Campaigns are desperate to find language generic enough for a broad constituency that also conveys an unshakable faith.
news.yahoo.com...

My question is; Has religion become too prominent an issue in current and recent past politics?
I do understand that "faith" is an important issue for many, however an equal amount of people don't care one iota about candidate X or Y's religion or how pious they appear to be.

Why can't a campaign simply be about the issues? Religion is steadfastly becoming less and less of an important factor in elections, why do some, if not all candidates seem to be pushing that much more harder to show they are more religious than the other guy/gal.

IMO religion and theology do not belong in a political debate. the current theological slant in most American politics, does a disservice to all Americans. Obscuring, important political issues and distracting from fixing this broken system.

I would state, "separation of church and state."
though that has NEVER been the case in running for office in this country it seems. I do not care if they are Mormons, Catholics, Baptists Muslims or Jews or any other religious flavor. integrity and a plan that will build the country rather than divide it are much more important than how a candidate prays.

What do you think ATS, has fake religious piety hijacked American politics?
edit on 3-9-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Pray on your own time.

Thats all I have to say about that.

I hate how people try to lead other people into believing what they believe when it comes to spiritual issues.
I hate the whole "recruiting" if you will, of the believers.

I believe in my own God, not yours.

Secondly-

Rick Perry is not even in my mind for President. He just doesnt cut the mustard, just the same ol same old "tell it how you want it to be" politician. I dont know much about the man,truthfully; but what I have seen so far doesnt impress me one bit. He is NOT the type of leader that we NEED right now.

Our country is divided enough without having religious whackos out there runnin the show.

Ron Paul - 2012.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
let me state now that although i think Perry is an idiot, this is not an anti-Perry thread, this is about religion and politics and the diversions that all politicians usse to distract us from important issues.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

To answer your question, yes.

This campaign is about the issues, and about separation of church and state.

The issue; We are too broke to be in wars we cannot afford, we are too broke to afford inept, meddling, land planning departments like FEMA, we are too broke to continue with the Federal Reserve Bank. which was brought into being to avoid economic crises.

Another note on the Fed, if that was their job - and it was - they have failed miserably over their entire existence. We have actually had more crises since the Fed came into being than we ever had before the Fed. We are very late in firing these overpaid clowns and they (the Fed) are late for the door.

Now there is only one Presidential hopeful who is fully addressing these issues, and there is only one candidate who is talking common sense instead of courting all the special interests. A quick look at all the rest shows you that the other candidates will give us more of the same old business, and we are too broke for anymore of that either. For God's sake we are a bankrupt nation!

Vote for Ron Paul - well I had to or someone would have suggested I was talking about Michelle "Corn Dog" Bachmann.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Has religion become too prominent an issue in current and recent past politics?

Absolutely, in my opinion, religion has become WAY too important a selling point for candidates. I don't really care about what religion a person is. In fact the more religious a person is the more I am likely to NOT vote for them.

The problem is, these people tend to use their religion as a basis for their politics. Which I feel is wrong. Why should I elect someone who cannot separate their religious belief from their secular responsibilities?

Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe that a person should be able to believe in whatever religion they so choose. It's not my problem or concern what deity you pray to. When it becomes my problem is when you start shoving that religion down my throat. I don't want sharia law in this country, and likewise, I don't want cannon law in this country either, and frankly we have WAY too many laws based on the bible as it is.

Christmas should be stricken as a federal holiday, so should any holiday that has anything to do with religion.

Why can't a campaign simply be about the issues?

It should be. Simply about the issues and not how pious the person is. We aren't living in a theocracy, we are living in a Republic. I fear that many of these candidates are trying to turn this into a theocracy to start a holy war with Islam (Especially the TEA Party candidates)

What do you think ATS, has fake religious piety hijacked American politics?

You know it has. It's a disgrace to our constitution and it's in my opinion blasphemous to whatever god these people purportedly serve. If you serve god, then you cannot serve the American public. If your loyalty is to your religion, then in my opinion, you aren't fit to defend the constitution and the law, it's just a matter of divided loyalty.

In my opinion, a person who uses religion as a selling point for them to get elected isn't fit, worthy, or qualified to be in office. They should be shunned from politics and welcomed in their church instead.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

i think that is why things like Perry's "Prayer revival festival" or whatever it was called, bugs me so much.
Not because it is religious, but because it is an obvious publicity stunt and a slap in the face, really, to people of faith.
using the lure of faith, a strong lure, to draw people together with the SOLE purpose of recruiting political acolytes, is shameful pandering.

Any christian politician that pushes their religion to the fore as a main part of their "electability," to me in fact, is a glaring example of their contempt for Christians. Jesus, said his followers would be no part of the world as he was no part of the world. He was offered kingship and refused, his main job in his own opinion was to teach.
The louder they praise God, the more they prove they are pharisees not Christians"

I am nonreligious however i respect the right to believe. Call me a hopeful atheist. I do not believe there is a God, however, i do hope i am wrong.
edit on 3-9-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join