It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked my keys in my car... best way to open it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2Faced
Try to find a metal wire that is as thick and as rigid as an antenna. Bend the first 2 inches in to a hook, stick it between the rubber and the window and try to locate the bar that is attached to the mechanism that opens the door. Jiggle the hook under it and pull up. It is not an acurate method, but it usualy gets the job done.
edit on 3-9-2011 by 2Faced because: Might only work on older models!

Just wanted to say this way saved me because we don't have a lock smith where I live I stuck a screwdriver in between the door and body up at the top and back of the door and used a hanger bent so I could then hit the unlock button it took about 2 minutes and I was in and on my way to work and wasn't even late thanks to my buddy that works at an custom auto body shop. Just be careful not to scratch the paint or poke any holes in the rubber seal, good luck

edit on 3-9-2011 by FarBeyondDriven69 because: ops

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

It doesn't take a genius to actually steal a car. It takes a genius to steal one and not get arrested.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'm a locksmith and felt the need to clear up a few things.

1. The method I use most is the air bladder and long reach tool. A rubber or wooden wedge + wire are essentially the same thing. If you were to actually pry the door far enough to get your arm in, the door would never be the same, not to mention the chance of crushing your arm, I'd pass on that idea. In your case with no power to the vehicle the unlock button will obviously not work so you will need pull on the inner door handle itself. (Most newer Fords will unlock and open by simply pulling the handle.)

2. Picking the lock or "jiggling" it is my 2nd most common tactic. Most newer cars are very difficult to unlock with conventional lock picks but I have opened many with random keys. If you have a friend with a Ford vehicle there is a good chance that you can open it by jiggling that key. Apply slight turning force while jiggling the key in and out\ up and down. I have opened quite a few Fords with my van key. You might get lucky with this method. The more worn out the lock cylinder is the better your chances are.

3. Slim jims and in the door tools mostly work on older cars. I rarely use them.

4. Breaking windows is a LAST resort (if you were stranded in the middle of no where) and although it seems logical that the small rear corner pieces of glass would be the cheapest, they are usually the most expensive.

5. Setting off the airbags is the dumbest Idea I have ever heard. They are extremely expensive to replace and there are usually many other parts that need to be replaced as well including the seat belt tensioners. Not to mention that it would never work in this situation because the OP's car has no power.

6. There are some cars that use air pressure to lock\unlock so I think that is where the tennis ball myth comes from but I still don't buy it. The key cylinder is not part of the system.

7. Getting a spare made is the best advice I've seen in this thread. What you need to get is a "mechanical" spare key to save money. Your ignition key likely has an RFID chip in it and is needed to start the car. Chipped keys cost a lot and need to be programmed but you can have a mechanical key that will turn all of the locks to get you back in. You can even put it in one of those magnetic key holders and hide it somewhere on the under body. Even if someone found it the best they could do was get into the car but not steal it because it would not pass the immobilizer. We sell mechanical copies for about $2.50.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I can fix any car problem with just three items.
1. A paper hand fan
2. A tube of lipstick
3. A small cardboard sign that reads "Help"

Wear a nice dress, apply the lipstick, and sit on the hood of the car fanning yourself.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

ONSTAR -- cant tell you how many times they remote unlocked me over the years!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Thestargateisreal

Thanx for that Thestargateisreal, if I try it, I will remember your words of wisdom

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
most newer cars, if you jump on the roof the doors will unloock, or use packing straps, (thing plastic straps that wrap up cardboard boxes) make a loop and slide it through the door then pull it up or down to unlock said door.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Here is something that may help the next time if your car has a key fob that unlocks your doors or electric locks., Find a wiring diagram for your car and track down the wire that goes to your door locks.
Run a wire from this wire down to somewhere like a fender well or bumper.
Run another wire from your battery to the same point and tape the ends of both.

If you lock your self out all you have to do then is untape the wires and touch them together.
If done right your electric lock system will pop open and you can get your keys.

I put a switch on mine and taped it up to hide it all i have to do is untape the top of the switch and flip it and all my doors unlock and i can get to the switch for my trunk from inside the car.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Make friends with someone who has AAA

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristoBuddha
If you have a Tennis Ball around you can open it this way.

this does not work..

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
well you said locksmith didn't work for you. okay but try this locksmith he did a wonderful service with feasible when i am in same situation

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Spare Key. Duct Tape. Flat spot under car. 100% effective.

posted on Jan, 25 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by IkNOwSTuff
Saw a really cool trick on a movie called 3 days later last night.

U heat a key and poke a hole in a tennis ball so the size is about the same as the keyhole on your car, you put the hole on the tennis ball over the keyhole and whack the tennis ball a few times.

Dont know if this actually works or not but it looked cool and convincing.

P.s how do we know you arent gonna use this info to break into others peoples cars?

That doesn't actually work. At least according to Myth Busters. I remember seeing them do a segment on it.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Wow forgot about this thread!!! The guy came with the air bladder and a long pole to pop it open. Took maybe two minutes.

About a month ago my dumbass locked my keys in my truck!! I was at work so I made a wedge out of some wood and looped the end of some bailing wire and was able to snag the door handle. Such a fool.

Walmart wanted $60 each copy. I explained over and over that I just needed a door key and not a key with a chil but they said it didnt matter, thats what they had to sell me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The best thing I've come across to unlock car doors is the handle from a 5 gallon pail. The metal is solid enough so it won't bend when you're trying to use it. the natural curve of the handle allows you to manipulate it easily, and the end that hooks into the bucket makes the perfect hook after you bend it with pliers.

I keep one in my car. For when other people need help, obviously.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
My trick is when i buy a car with electric door locks is to get a wiring diagram and find the unlock wire for the doors and wire a switch from a power supply to it in a hidden place under the car.

Then if you lock yourself out all you need to do is reach under the car and hit the hidden switch and open the door.

Since only you know where the hidden switch is you have a secret way to unlock the car.

Another way if you don't have electronic door locks is to learn how to slim jim a door before you lock your self out And maybe even remove the anti slim plate some cars have and then hide a slim jim somewhere you can get to from the outside of the car.
Never remove the anti slim jim plate from the drivers or front passenger door if its a 4 door. thieves go for these door but if you know its a back passengers door you can still get in without the thieves getting lucky. few thieves will even try a back door.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I locked myself out once at the pizza place. had to call the police. He had a Triangular piece of wood that he wedged in between the door frame and just kept banging till it opened, No damage either!

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunken
4. Breaking windows is a LAST resort (if you were stranded in the middle of no where) and although it seems logical that the small rear corner pieces of glass would be the cheapest, they are usually the most expensive.

Those small windows are INDESTRUCTIBLE!!!!! I locked myself out, tried to use a hammer to break it, and it just bounced off. I whacked that window over and over, and all it did was spark.

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Do this all the time, but it will require damaging your car. Good luck mate

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Get something flat and sturdy....preferrably a big screw driver. Stick it in the part where the door closes...and pull on it, opening it about 1/4 inch (enough to put a hanger through, and pull out your keys). When you pry the door open 1/4'....go fishing for your keys. Make sure you put a little hook on the end of your hanger, so that you have something to catch your keys with. You may have to bend the hanger, to get the right angle, to where your keys are located. If you can't reach your keys, try to press your automatic door locks.

For future reference: Go to Autozone, and buy the little hide-a-key box; which has a magnet on one side. Then, make a copy of your key. Put the key inside the box, and stick it underneath your car. Somewhere the magnet will attach, without falling off.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join