It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Locked my keys in my car... best way to open it

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
If you haven`t gotten it yet, hers how i got into my `94 Cutlass 2-door.

My baby!

Your going to need a wire metal coathanger a stiff piece of metal for prying the door open a little, a flat head screwdriver, and a flashlite depending on the time of day or how long it takes you.

Your going to take your flat head and try and work it in between the door and the rubber seal just enough to get that coat hanger in there and press your unlock button. It might scratch your paint but you couldn`t see it unless the door is open and then you just go to autozone or related store and get some touch up paint. Ive gotten into my buddies `03 GT hundred of times.

Pics please!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
you have an iphone? im sure theres an app.. or, perhaps call the dealership.. I'm sure they gave you something for replacement keys. plus.. you only have one set of keys? i got a wrx and it came wit 3 sets of keys and 2 vouchers for 2 more sets of keys.. so... i mean if your only option is physically attempting to break in, then.. i'd attempt the trunk, cause those locks are easiest to replace. granted your back seats fold down.

you dont happen to have on star? they'll do it for ya.

good luck. if you havent gotten in yet.
edit on 3-9-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I used a metal hobby ruler to get into my car when i did the same thing.

Went straight down to the key shop and got a new one made there and then

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
My dad used to do it all the time...
The bent clothes hanger thing always worked.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If you ahve insurance they need to replace the front windshield at no cost if it is broken.... damn neighborhood kids throwing rocks.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

smash the windscreen?? not to sound horrible but that has to be the most unnecessary and difficult solution to the problem.. (for many reasons)

hey op did you get into your car? what method did you use?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
Is a new driver's window cheaper than a locksmith

I broke my back window, the small one just behind the back door. It was worth it. I always forget my keys, sometimes when I'm late, I say F it, I'm breaking the window again lol

Broke my back window 3 times, fixed it for around 80$.

Sometimes insurance companies provide that service also, once when I locked my key inside, my friend's insurance company came and opened it for me. Newer cars are much harder lol..

Good luck, break the window and record it too, don't forget. That's what I did
for the memories, grab a fat rock, boom.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Call your local police department.....

They are pretty good with the ol' slim jim.....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

cut the top of a tennis ball and place it tight over the key hole then give it a good slap with you hand,the vacuum caused will pop the lock.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I've always been able to get into locked cars w/ a coat hanger.

On old cars you would try to grab a rod or cable down by the arm rest to pop the door handle.

At some point in the late 80's they started putting shields on them to foil that trick.

On the newer cars you want a hook about 2 inches from the end of the hanger. Aim it to come up under the lock knob in the top of the door and push upwards.

On import cars same trick but you want to actually go under the glass and push on the actual locking tab in the top of the door (they're usually rectangular instead of the round type US cars use). Some US cars use these same locking tabs (because they source them from the same places the Japanese do).

I can get into any car in less than 1 minute w/ these methods.

The key is to watch the locking tab for movement as you move the coat hanger around. This will tell you when you're in the right place.
edit on 3-9-2011 by ecoparity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Either buy a slim jim a wire coat hanger or a locksmith.

Or I suppose you could get a rock....

that's about it.
edit on 3-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Price of the Emergency Roadside Service through my Insurance provider (USAA) $1.50 cents per month or less than $20.00 a year.

This year I have had them respond to...

A flat tire - sure I can change my own tires but I sat in the car and read my book instead 45 min latter the young dude shows up and in 5 minutes changes to the spare - cost of service I signed for $110.00. Actual cost again $1.50 per month.

Locked keys in car while it was running in the driveway (thank you Ford for adding locks that auto lock after 45 min of sitting at idle - very helpful!!!) 45 min later locksmith arrives and in 2 minutes the car is open. Cost I signed for $80.00 - actual cost...well you get the idea.

Buy the service.....it is almost priceless

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
if u have to break a window, break the small triangle one on the side in the back and reach in or use a stick to hit the unlock button.
door windows are expensive and time consuming to change.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
Price of the Emergency Roadside Service through my Insurance provider (USAA) $1.50 cents per month or less than $20.00 a year.

This year I have had them respond to...

A flat tire - sure I can change my own tires but I sat in the car and read my book instead 45 min latter the young dude shows up and in 5 minutes changes to the spare - cost of service I signed for $110.00. Actual cost again $1.50 per month.

Locked keys in car while it was running in the driveway (thank you Ford for adding locks that auto lock after 45 min of sitting at idle - very helpful!!!) 45 min later locksmith arrives and in 2 minutes the car is open. Cost I signed for $80.00 - actual cost...well you get the idea.

Buy the service.....it is almost priceless

i used to have a beretta when i was younger that would lock itself if u slammed the door too hard(bad switch)

it happened to me at a store one time, left the car running, shut the door too hard... and CLICK..

lol needless to say i had all the tools i needed right at me feet... (a chunk of the parking lot through the small back window)

the funny part was the people coming in and out of the store that saw me break the window and get in and drive away lol
edit on 3-9-2011 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-9-2011 by spaceg0at because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jstanthrno1

I've opened my car and helped others open theirs with one simple tool you can find ANYWHERE...

1 coat hanger will do this job admirably.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Call a policeman or lock smith. They usually have dealer keys. Cost was around $35.00 USD.

For the future so this never happens again... Copy the car key and put it in you wallet if you are a man, or change purse if you are a woman. I tried lock boxes on the car, but they always seem to bounce off onto the road. Secondly, always make it a rule to lock the car when your keys are in your left hand. This way you can't leave them in the car. If your car locks with a key lock remote, always lock car when keys are in your left hand. Never lock the car using the door lock and your finger, always use the remote. Rituals help prevent diasters.
edit on 3-9-2011 by frugal because: sp

edit on 3-9-2011 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Stick a coathanger through the hole in the door that the door handle hinges use. Jiggle it and try to find the control arm that locks the door.

Saves possibly bending your door frame or ruining the rubber seal.

Or hit a spark plug with a hammer and throw one of the shattered pieces of ceramic really hard at one of the windows - believe it or not it works!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
AAA

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Moms with multiple little kids do this more often than normal people. I used to have a whole extra spare set of keys. I found that this didn't help at all, I just kept losing those too. My mother found a spare set in my dad's old house coat I had worn when I was visiting her. Those keys were lost for a year or so. My kids would take the keys and pocket them in their coats, and a set was lost for six months that way. My husband found a set of keys in the yard once covered in dirt. Apparently, they fell out of my coat pocket while gardening. I firmly believe
the older you become and the more responsibilities and distractions that happen the more frequently these events happen. Good luck to all.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Coat hanger between window seal and hook onto door lock assembly

or

spread door from body and push the door unlock switch with a rod

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join