reply to post by templar knight
I don't want to make it seem as if i don't support sharing. i encourage anyone and everyone with a story to tell it to us on ATS.
I believe that some people have gone a little too deep "down the rabbit hole". We can all freely admit that there are a great number of people in
the, for lack of a better term, "conspiracy world" that are just plain nuts. There are no two ways about it. IT's these people and their outlandish
claims that muddy the waters for those who are seeking truth.
Too often people speak about "theories" and "conjecture" as fact.
ex "We all know politician x and the government have been using x chemical on people and the nwo is using these people to infiltrate schools and the
media" (silly example, but bear with me). When things like that are presented as a "given" or "fact" it damages the research, the researchers,
and the credibility of those who are actually speaking out and exposing "conspiracies".
In my estimation you have at most 5% of posted items worth checking out. The other 95% are regurgitation, conjecture, lunacy, or trolling. The
important information that we are trying to share. The very reason for ATS to exist, is drownd out by nonsense.
There very well may be Reptilians or the illuminati (or whatever other thing/group you can think of) but trying to get to the truth is near
impossible. Not because of the "all powerful" government or "All powerful" corporations, but through poor communication on our parts. We ALLOW the
"water" to be muddied.
Now, some will claim it's all "disinformation agents" and so forth who are responsible. There may be "D.I." out there, but I think we ascribe all
too much importance on most of what we say. IF we are talking about it then the information is out there already, Unless there happens to be a
credible, first person account given for the first time HERE on ATS (which I doubt happens very often at all.) We need not worry about "D.I."s.
So many posters and users are quick to call anyone who contradictts their claims as a "D.I.". Hell, I've been called such just because I don't
believe every story that I'm told and express my point of view.
If anyone is to blame for our "issues" on ATS it's ourselves. We, collectively, don't do a very good job vetting our sources or those posting.
Obviously we can't check out every single claim made but we CAN approach all reports with the eye of a Skeptic. How often do you read a post that is
way "out in left field" yet it gets 100 stars and everyone is agreeing with the post. That's confirmtion bias. They are looking for and noticing
only what supports the belief they already have while ignoring anything that contradicts it. It's rampant on ATS (and many other such sites).
Too many of the stories here are the result of and use anecdotal evidence, testimonial evidence ("someone told me..."), "appeals to authorities"
(citing authoritative figures like commercials saying Dr. john Doe says...), hasty generalizations (using incomplete data or partial knowledge to make
a claim of "fact"), the "clustering" illusion (apllying meaning to random arguments to "ignorance" (like saying we CAN'T know for sure because
it's being withheld from us), Pragmatic fallacy (Thinking something works based on anecdotal evidence
, communal reinforcement (when people in a
community-like ATS- believe someting because others say its true. The most dangerous example, in my opinion.), "pareidolia" (seeing something in a
random background; Jesus' facce in your toast.), Shoe horning (trying to force "evidence" to fit a theory/fact) , post hoc fallacy (assuming one
thing happened because of another; a black cat crosses your path and the next day you fall and break your leg.), FAITH (belief regardless of
evidence), guilt by association, Spotlight fallcy (judging something based on the "popular" aspect of it. Like California is full of surfers when
surfers make up a small percentage of the whole.) and, of course, wishful thinking.
I highlight these terms to make a point. DO NOT BE QUICK TO BELIEVE A STORY. We are all guilty of this behavior. It's in our character to do so. In
order for this site and "conspiracy theorists" as a whole to "work" we need to approach ALL of this information that is shared with an eye towards
In other words
ATS USERS SHOULD BE SKEPTICS.
Skepticism is our number one tool in discovering truth.