It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tip in restaurants..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
it annoys me when a service charge is automatically added to the bill. Tips should be earned, not expected.

In the UK the tipping rate is 10-15 %. depending on service. I'll always tip 10, unless there is already a "service charge", and if it's good, 15. Tipping 20% in the UK would be way over the top, it's expensive enough here as it is!

Of course in the UK minimum wage applies, so I guess the situation is different.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
We can adda gratuity to a bill of over 8 people. I use that on a as needed basis. Mostly with teenagers as they have to concept of tipping. And usually i wont tell them its on the bill either. Its written plain as can be, but the stupid kids never check it, so i get double, which usually winds up being what the normal tip would have been anyways. Its an insurance policy. also if your service was terrible, talk to the manager, and they will remove the grat.

[Edited on 23-8-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Some people still tip even though there is a service charge is a service charge tips??

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
yup teenagers are pretty dumb in that regard. however, there is nothing better than getting 7 snotty kids who order every pain in the as_ thing on the menu, drink pop like their getting paid to, then leave you 80 cents for a tip. sorry kids. aint gonna happen.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
Really? So after you sit in my section for an hour, take up a table, mess up everything, I give you EXCELLENT SERVICE and you choose to grace me with 2 dollars, I need the lesson?

Uh, thats your job though? Its not really everyone elses fault that you choose to work for someone who is only going to pay you $2.13 an hour.

Really, I have nothing against tipping (Although it isn't a huge thing down here in Aus). But it is kind of arrogant to pretend that people owe you something for getting the meal and service that they paid for. I feel that tips should be earned, not expected.

Sheesh, no wonder waiters get such a bad reputation.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:21 PM
link   

yup teenagers are pretty dumb in that regard. however, there is nothing better than getting 7 snotty kids who order every pain in the as_ thing on the menu, drink pop like their getting paid to, then leave you 80 cents for a tip. sorry kids. ain't gonna happen.

How is it that you are in the hospitality industry. You might want to look into a job that either pays enough to keep the anger under management, or lets you vent more often. You seem to be forgetting the most important concept...
[size=+2]The Customer Is Always Right
If these "snotty kids" and "cheap" people that seem to stumble into the place you work, despite the risk of getting hated for not tipping, didn't come in and buy stuff you would be OUT OF WORK! Do you understand this concept of business? No customers means no income, so be thankful for the "cheap" customers, and extra thankful for the ones who tip.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
[edit on 28/8/04 by COMSEUR]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Really? So after you sit in my section for an hour, take up a table, mess up everything, I give you EXCELLENT SERVICE and you choose to grace me with 2 dollars, I need the lesson? For the most part society is good in this regard. Its a small segment that cant understand it. Your the same people who sit in a car dealership all day argueing over the price of the car. CHEAP ! If you have to ask how much it is, you cant afford it. Now noone says that you have to tip, but dont complain if your meal is terrible.

If thats what your talking about you may want to be more clearer in the future, you didn't state your case, you just said get off yourself and drop a tip, you really sounded like a superficial barbie doll server, your case above makes more sense.

And Generalizing me into that category is quite wrong actually, we tip very well, except if the server is a #ing jackass... Don't even start name calling dude, tipping is a gratuity, you sound like a spoiled rich kid who demands more then what they should get, apparantly your a excellent server if people will wait 15 mins just to get you, good for you, my argument isn't about you personally, it's about servers in genera...apparantly your a cut above, which is why your argument seems to be alittle bit stuffy. If your going to start demanding bigger tips from people, make a button or something and let people know just how fabulous you are...... Then under it mention how much much you would like in tips because you think your well worth it.
It shouldn't be a problem since you think people should know about it.
Your regular's are regular's because they appreciate your service, some people don't... Maybe your regular's are making your head too big... I

Anyway, don't mean to be a prick, just stating my case. Point being, I think it's ridiculous for servers to demand tips, they shouldn't be in that job their job is to serve not demand, if you want to demand, become a lawer or something.

I'm sure your services are fabulous and from a senior server I can see your point. But majority of servers are young teenagers and adults trying to save money for college and their too many around here that are out to lunch and very very ditzzy/snotty/bitchy/grumpy... just all around bad people skills.
But we always get the manager if they can't do their job professionally, and request a new server.

is that if everything went well, your meal was good and so was the service, take care of the guy. He took care of you.

That's the point I was trying to make also........But apparantly your stuck in tipping mode and should be tipped alittle more then average joe server is... Like I said, make a button or something to let the world know just how special you are...

[Edited on 23-8-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm always generous with my tips....I used to work in several kitchens and I always heard the wait staff moaning and complaing about their tips...Plus I would occasionally get tipped out myself, so I know how good it feels to get a good tip...

If the bill is like $75 and I got really good service - I'll give them like $20....Or if it's $40....$12 tip....even if the service is not so good I usually will give at least what is expected plus an extra dollar or two. If they're horrible tho....I'll either let someone else tip or leave them some pennies and nickels just to let them know - servers hate getting small change!! Some even hate getting quarters....But for the most part that never happens - Tallahassee thrives on hospitality and most people do it right around here

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Sublime, I'd be interested in how YOU tip when out. It has been my experience that service industry people don't tip so well themselves. I took an order to a customer about 6 weeks ago, she payed me with her TIPS. Got a lovely 15 cent tip. The thing is, tips are not obligitory, I don't bitch if I don't get one but if your going to bitch about it, you better back it up by actions.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Ok, Ok, I need to clarify somethings. Yes I am always gratefull for what I receive. When I go out the tip starts at 20% and goes from there. I never tell anyone that I am a server, because then they expect a good tip no matter the service. I dont expect that, so why should they?

What I am talking about are the jerks that leave 2 bucks no matter what, and then say "its not my problem". Listen jerk, stay home if your that miserable or go to McDonalds. Part of what your paying for IS the service. Someone to talk to you, make you laugh, serve you exactly what you want in a timely fashion. If that is done step up, will ya? No, you don't HAVE to, but remember, you reap what you sow. When you return, we do remember.

And the whole "customer is always right" thing is the biggest misconception in business. try this on "perception is reality" Ask any business and theyll tell you the BS about the customers right thing. In small matters, we dont want to argue, but when you feel the whole meal should be free because you had to wait a while for your well done steak, it is not going to happen.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Heres how I deal with cheap people such as yourself. First, after you sit, I stop by and tell you, "Ill be right there", then after Ive checked every other table, gotten everyone refills, napkins and whatever, then I come by you.
You ask me for a coke, ill give you a diet. or half and half. When you tell me it aint right, Ill make ya wait some more. Your order will sit in my pocket for a good 10 minutes before I even think of putting it in. And God help you if you special order anything. Hope you got some free time. You wont see a refill unless you throw that empty glass at me. ANd whenever you need more dressing or napkins, I will always reply with "OH ya! Im sorry , Ill be right back." dont hold your breath. And dont be surprised if "No onions" means your gonna find just one little slice in there "Oh Im sorry sir, must have slipped in, it happens"

Pretty much, I will do anything in my power that is legal, to ensure you NEVER COME BACK. While your lack of tipping may hurt me for the moment, I will forget all about you 15 minutes after you leave. However, you will NEVER FORGET that time you came to eat here.

well, if you really do these things then you need a lesson in how to do a job and do it to the best of your ability !!!

Theres a thing and it's called integrity. Incase you don't know what that means, I'll tell you... it's basically donig the right thing when no one is around to make sure that you do the right thing.

You think that you are really getting back at people for not tipping by doing these things, you're not, you're hurting business. I guarantee you that if I get service like this, I tell people about it, not just one or two but everyone, and I know that they are telling people... you're only hurting yourself.

You need to grow up, if you're not making the kind of money you want to, then find other work, it's out there, you just have to be willing to do it.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ive put this quote to use many times:

I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Mr.Pink in Reservoir Dogs

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Ive put this quote to use many times:

I don't tip because society says I have to. Alright, I tip when somebody really deserves a tip. If they put forth an effort, I'll give them something extra. But I mean, this tipping automatically, that's for the birds. As far as I'm concerned they're just doing their job.

Mr.Pink in Reservoir Dogs

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
My husband and I always tip 5 dollars no more no less, but again I live in the south and that is more than enough.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 05:17 PM
link   
As far as I'm concerned, the system has been put in place to shame the customer into paying part of the wage that the owner doesn't want to pay. I'd be pissed at the owner not the customer.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Stop....this makes me laugh.
I have been a bartender at the same rest/bar for over 6 years now and NO I don't need to go out and find a job for more than 2.13 an hour.
Everyone is soooo misinformed.
First of all, someone who goes out to eat at a rest. is someone who doesn't want to stay home and cook. Obviously! So, you are going out and are paying for food, right? You don't want to cook or tip, go to fast food. You want to sit, relax and be waited on, go to rest.
Now, YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET!!
The funny thing to me is that first impressions are everything. Servers are not ignorant people and can tell what type of person you are and what type of tip youre likely to leave. So, you get bad service, well....check out your first impression. Few instances, yes, service is bad...don't tip. But unless you have a rookie waiting on you, you will get good service.
I am confidant that every time I get a tip it is 20%+ Some times I may not, but that is what I expected from that person on the first impression, so they get what they pay for. Get the idea??
Ask yourself, What was your best experiance at at rest.??
Now, what was your worst?
Why?????
Let me tell you why, THE SERVER!!!!!!
You subconsciously give that server more control than you seem to think.
They make or break your night and it's true.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
I was on the cooking side of the business for 10 years , I have seen what servers go through when they get stiffed by a party of 5 with a $ 300 dollar tab , it not only defeats and humiliates them , but also takes cash out pf their pockets due to the taxes that are based on their gross sales .

I personally tip 20 percent on the food total but none on the booze because of the extreme mark up (sorry servers) I think the booze should be seperated from the servers gross sales im my case , but many get the usual 15 percent on top of the total .

This is just me , and my knowledge of the industry and the booze side of the profits (which keep many places afloat)

Even with the worst service I have ever had , I tipped the ammount that made it a break even for the rudest server I have ever seen .(this happened only once , 5 bucks on a 40 bill , and I got a free dessert for my complaining , and was also the only time I have ever complained )

Unfortunately , many european service has all the wages included in the price , they don't use the servers income to suppliment the bartenter, host , bussers , cooks income . This leads to many tourist not knowing(or selectively ignoring) our tipping practices .

Parties of 6 or more .... add it on . Less people than that , it would be rude , and you can only hope for the best .

People should be (and I believe are) aware of the way restaurants do buisiness and how they pay folks . If you don't feel like paying an additional gratuity of 15-20 percent on top of your total , then go to McDonalds or cook your lazy ass self a meal at home

posted on Sep, 24 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I worked as both a waitress and a cook while I was in college. I think I learned more valuable lessons there than in class. I also think every one should have to wait tables at least once in their lives, like jury duty.

After years as a mom and caregiver for my elderly parents, I cherish every moment that I get to sit and have someone wait on me!! My schedule does not allow for much 'real sit-down restaurant' time, and though my budget is limited, I always reward good service. I almost always get good servers, sometimes great ones.

Once on my birthday we went to an early dinner, when the restaurant was not crowded. Our waiter served the inexpensive special like it was the most expensive item on the menu. He was so totally charming and entertaining-- even though he probably thought he would be getting a relatively small tip--we left him a $20 tip on a $12 ticket.

IBM

posted on Sep, 25 2004 @ 02:51 AM
link   
Hmm im waiting for Esther to show up and comment on this thread. I think she is a waiter or something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join