It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to tip in restaurants..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
OK people, this is a wake up call. I've been a server for years now, and it pays fairly well. I am in school, so the hours and cash work well. For the most part, the public is awesome and they take care of me pretty well. I've been in the same location for a while, so I get to know my peeps pretty good.

However, there is a large segment of society in dire need of some social-etiquette. A "normal" tip is aprx. 15-20% of the bill. If you and your significant other are out to eat, have a $47.00 bill and think 5 bucks is cool, its not. Allow me to explain. A server makes less than minimum wage. I currently earn $2.13 an hour. Working around 70 hours, I take home about $40.00 every 2 weeks. At the end of my shift, I am charged a fee for having a busser on hand, a hostess on hand and to "tip" out the bar. If I have sold $6-700 worth of food that night, from tips I have to return $18-20 back to the restaurant. I hate this and can't understand for the life of me why it is legal, but it is what it is.

Now to break it down another way, think of it like this. When you leave, say $5 on a $50 tab, the server only keeps about $3. Please understand, that I'm not trying to sound ungratefull or anything. When I get a lousy tip from a family and I wasnt expecting it, I wont let it piss me off. I tell myself "Hey, maybe this guy has been laid off forever, and just got back to wrk. This could be his first check, and heys takin the family out. They dont have alot of extra, so be happy you got anything"

However, I dont feel that this is the case. I think alot of times, people are just cheap and dont care. Well, I'm here to tell ya, that we work our as_ses off for you people, never get a break, endure 8 hours of maddness and insanity to give you the illusion of perfection. A couple extra bucks wouldnt kill ya, and it always comes back to you.

The customers we love are the ones that just round up. This seems to be comprised mostly of smokers. Smokers are just better customers. They are more patient and relaxed. I also dont have to deal with the screaming kids alot. But we do make fun of the moms and their babies sitting in smoking. That looks great. Any rate, I'm gettin off course here.

If you wanna make a server happy, just follow this guideline. Trust me, you will love your time at the place, unless you've got an idiot serving you, or your just a miserable person. OK now get a pen and write this down.

1: Remember, that we are people to. I am here to serve you. But I do have more than one customer. Please be just a tad patient. If time is that much of a factor, go fast food or wait untill you can relax. However my other customers can not have inferior service, because you demand all my attention.

2: Not all male servers are gay. Guys relax allright?

3: I'm not hitting on your girlfriend/wife. I'm being polite, I'll make eye contact with you as well..

4: We do not think its cute when you let your child throw food on the floor and step on it. Nor do other customers. They tell us.

5: Leave the baby at home. Noone wants to listen to your screaming kid all night. You had the baby, not us. There are places that cater to kids. Accept the fact that people are annoyed by the crying. Parents usually go out for a night AWAY from the kids.

6: Please don't try 4 seperate checks because you have 4 coupons. They dont allow it. We have to cover the cost of the food. I've had people try to use a $10 off coupon on a $7 item. We won't pay you to eat here. And please don't take it out on your server, we dont make the rules.

7: When using the coupon, please tip the amount BEFORE discount. The 3% tax I mentioned above is applied to the amount before coupon. We get really screwed on that. And, hey! you just got 10 bucks off, would a couple xtra kill ya? Its just good karma.

8: Dont try and hide the coupon untill the end of the meal.

9: Forget it, just burn the coupons, we hate em...lol

10: If all went well, use this as a good tip guide: If the bill is $20-25, leave em 5 bucks. $25-$30, 5 or 6. $35-40-$8, $40-50-$9 or $10, so on and so forth. We remember people. You take care of us, we take care of you! Good tippers often find themselves with free softdrinks and soup and salads often....

Now if your one of the "I dont care, Ill leave him a dollar" well, whatever. Your a jerk and Youll get what you deserve, but on the whole, I dont think people are that bad. Ive had customers that loved the meal, talked, joked and shook my hand. Then put a $5 dolllar bill in for a hundred dollar meal. Not to sound ungratefull, but umm......5 bucks? maybe they dont know. Well, now you do!

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I agree 100% with what you're saying sublime4372. As someone who once worked at a restaurant I understand too well. People are just #ing cheap. I always leave %20 Tip on every restaurant I go eat, always. Not only will it make the waiter happy and will serve you great the next time you come but it's the right thing to do.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Hey..if they dont tip you well then spit in there drinks and rub there food on your feet the next time they come in.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
Hey..if they dont tip you well then spit in there drinks and rub there food on your feet the next time they come in.

LMAO!! eeeeeeeewwwwww dude that's just wrong.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Just think...i restrained myself with taht post...shoulda seen it BEFORE i actually thought about what i was saying.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
You know, all the time Ive worked in restaurants, Ive never messed with anyones food. Thats bad karma

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This whole tipping ordeal reminds of that Seinfeld episode where Jerry's parents took an organisor to a restaurant and used it as a tipping calculator. That was lol. lmao

As for the tipping thing, I don't spend any time at restaurants and if I did it would be more like to get take out. But if I did I'll keep this tipping thing in mind but I seriously don't see it being legal to charge someone $2/hour. Someone with minimum wage would get paid a lot more than you would. lol

In Canada they have these job expos where employers look for full time positions. I strongly suggest looking into it.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372
The customers we love are the ones that just round up. This seems to be comprised mostly of smokers. Smokers are just better customers. They are more patient and relaxed.

Yeah baby! Smokers and drinkers make this old world go round!

It's so true in a service environment. I can see it in a server's eyes. When you're smoking when they walk up, they take it down a notch and seem to relax.
But on the flip side, if it's a bar/restaurant and you turn down that "cocktail" they get this hurt puppy dog look, like "are you sure"...then a little devil look like "come on, you know you want one" ...

I know it's just about driving up the bill, but it's funny. I tip like God anyway. Always have. To the point I usually piss off anyone I'm with and start an argument.

I can't help it. I know servers and bartenders and stuff, but I got it mainly from delivering Pizza in blizzards during school. Here's a tip...if there's a couple feet of driving blinding snow on the road, your driveway is iced over and straight uphill, and it's midnight...I don't care if your pizza took an hour. It's not free. And you will tip me. Or I will be back.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I always leave 10-15% depending on the size of the bill.
I think everyone should leave at least 10%.
If you don�t, well that is your choice,
fair enough, but then you�re a cheap b*stard...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I always try to leave a "good" tip, however, I base my tip on the service, not the amount of the bill, well not completely, I use the bill as a guide line...

Why should I tip 15-20% on a check that might be $50.00 in one place, when In a different place the check might only be $25 - $30, if the service is the same ?

I base it on service and have been to my share of places where the service is not what is should be.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Remindes me of the sopranos episode I saw the outher day where chris smaked the waiter over the head for whineing about the tip he left lol made me laugh crule but hey its tv lol.

I never tip I know you guys need the money Id say find a better job Ive been there and done that before you start so I know how it go's I will only tip the waiter if I really think he deserves it call me an azz but thats just me
all comes down to when i was in London long story to tell but thats anouther time

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
I can't help it. I know servers and bartenders and stuff, but I got it mainly from delivering Pizza in blizzards during school. Here's a tip...if there's a couple feet of driving blinding snow on the road, your driveway is iced over and straight uphill, and it's midnight...I don't care if your pizza took an hour. It's not free. And you will tip me. Or I will be back.

That is funny. If you've read my blog you know that what I'm doing right now, why I'm posting intermitantly. Weekend job is pizza delivery. Believe it or not, it's about the money. I make plenty with my full-time job, just can't turn this down. Most people tip, some don't. So what is the benefit of tipping. Few people screw with the food, although I have heard about it in the past. You tip, the pop that shows up with your order will be cold, I will reach into the back of the pop cooler, over the ones just put in there. I have 2 orders, in different directions, which one is getting their pizza first? Duh!

BTW, getting the kids to pay for it or paying by credit card? C'mon, we aren't stupid.

BTW 2, I always tip well.

[Edited on 22-8-2004 by intrepid]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
[edit on 28/8/04 by COMSEUR]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I try to tip generously, but let's be honest here. I'm not always going to tip 15%. My big thing with the 15% rule comes up when I eat somewhere really nice. It's not any harder for a waiter to bring out a $30 steak than a $6 burger, but should they get more because I chose to eat expensive food? Mainly if the service is good, and I don't have to ask several times for refills, then expect a good tip.

What makes me laugh the most is when you eat in a group and the automatic 15% rule kicks in. When you get your bill the tip is already in there, and the waiter ask "Do you need any change?" I feel like saying "Listen you ill-mannered waiter, if you want to beg for tips, get a monkey
and stand at the corner with your hat out! "(But I don't)

I was a waiter myself for a couple of years in high school. Some people tip, some don't, girls always get tipped better than men, and young guys taking out their girlfriend rarely tip, and waiters always complain about the amount they are tipped. Some things never change.

[Edited on 23-8-2004 by dbates]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I never tip I know you guys need the money Id say find a better job Ive been there and done that before you start so I know how it go's I will only tip the waiter if I really think he deserves it call me an azz but thats just me

Well, first of all, your ignorance in social manners is surpased only by your ignorance of grammer. Puncuation makes a post SO much easier to decipher. Also, that is an exact quote from "Reservoir Dogs" but I digress.

So I am curious, if I ever had the pleasure of serving your generous a_s, what do you think I would need to do to earn a generous donation from you? Would having a woman with you help? Would you be cheap enough to stiff a server in front of a female? I hope not. If you do though, dont wonder later on why you dont get any play from her.

Well, anyrate, we know people like you. We can spot you as soon as you come in. Bon Appetite Sir ! That 5 bucks you cant seem to part with is worth way more than what can happen to your food. Especially if you decide to return to the same place. We remember. We point you out to other servers who have the pleasure of serving you.

Heres how I deal with cheap people such as yourself. First, after you sit, I stop by and tell you, "Ill be right there", then after Ive checked every other table, gotten everyone refills, napkins and whatever, then I come by you.
You ask me for a coke, ill give you a diet. or half and half. When you tell me it aint right, Ill make ya wait some more. Your order will sit in my pocket for a good 10 minutes before I even think of putting it in. And God help you if you special order anything. Hope you got some free time. You wont see a refill unless you throw that empty glass at me. ANd whenever you need more dressing or napkins, I will always reply with "OH ya! Im sorry , Ill be right back." dont hold your breath. And dont be surprised if "No onions" means your gonna find just one little slice in there "Oh Im sorry sir, must have slipped in, it happens"

Pretty much, I will do anything in my power that is legal, to ensure you NEVER COME BACK. While your lack of tipping may hurt me for the moment, I will forget all about you 15 minutes after you leave. However, you will NEVER FORGET that time you came to eat here.

Now the other side of the coin is this : Get off yourself, and drop the tip. Enjoy your night and we 'll take good care of ya. Screw with us, and youll sooo regret ever walking in the door.

[edit on 23-8-2004 by sublime4372]

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
If you make 2.13/hr don't you think it's time to look for a new job? It's not the public's responsibility to take care of you. A tip is a gratuity not something to be expected. If you do a good job, you'll get tipped, if you do an excellent job you get tipped more. Don't expect it, if anybody needs a lesson on etiquette it's you...

See, people nowadays feel guilty if they don't leave a tip even if their server was an a hole, this shouldn't be. but somehow it is. Expecting a gratuity?? please.

I've been a waitress many times before, sure I hated getting tipped poorly, but I can't make them tip me anything, it's rude sometimes sure, but you take the good with the bad, I don't expect a certain amount of money, i'm the one who put myself in that situation. I don't expect people to "take care" of me so that I can buy all the guilty pleasures life has to offer...

2.13/hr is really.. At least in Canada it's 5.45, if you want to make real money go work at strip club, they tip very well... Usually old perverted rich guys are the regular's plus you get to sit and talk to people so you can take a load off. The bar doesn't ask you to tip them, your ass (attendance) is good enough ...

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by sublime4372

Now the other side of the coin is this : Get off yourself, and drop the tip. Enjoy your night and we 'll take good care of ya. Screw with us, and youll sooo regret ever walking in the door.

You just made my point crystal clear: Your the one who needs a lesson in etiquette not everybody else... Rude little boy.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I always try to leave a "good" tip, however, I base my tip on the service, not the amount of the bill, well not completely, I use the bill as a guide line...

Exactly... So do we... We use the bill as a guideline, we figure out how much "technically" the tip should be, then we rate the server on attitude, helpfulness, consistency, ect... The basics of "serving"

They don't have to bend over and lick our shoes but many times we get the sense that some of those server's done want to be there, or they will say they will be right back and don't come back, or if we just get there it takes us 15 mins just to get a waitress to order drinks before our meal...
These are the things that count, also a check in once in a while to make sure we need anything is a bonus, lot's of times, they'd forget to bring utensils and i'd have to wait minutes before they come back..

Anyway, we use the bill as a guideline to, anybody who "expects" a large tip is in a for a big surprise, those are the servers I try to stay away from.... Good for nothin, subbubles.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
$2.13 an hour?

Dude, just get a new job!

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   

If you make 2.13/hr don't you think it's time to look for a new job? It's not the public's responsibility to take care of you. A tip is a gratuity not something to be expected. If you do a good job, you'll get tipped, if you do an excellent job you get tipped more. Don't expect it, if anybody needs a lesson on etiquette it's you...

I expect it because I do give excellent service. Ive done this for 10 years. I have people that will wait 20 minutes to sit in my section.

They don't have to bend over and lick our shoes but many times we get the sense that some of those server's done want to be there, or they will say they will be right back and don't come back, or if we just get there it takes us 15 mins just to get a waitress to order drinks before our meal...

I understand complety. Again the only time that happens with me, is if I remember you and you screwed me last time. My job isnt that complicated. Before your meal comes, Ill fly by, drop refills napkins, etc. I check on everyone, but not to the point of annoyance.

2.13/hr is really.. At least in Canada it's 5.45, if you want to make real money go work at strip club, they tip very well... Usually old perverted rich guys are the regular's plus you get to sit and talk to people so you can take a load off. The bar doesn't ask you to tip them, your ass (attendance) is good enough ...

Well, I am a male, so thats probably out of the question.

TextYou just made my point crystal clear: Your the one who needs a lesson in etiquette not everybody else... Rude little boy

Really? So after you sit in my section for an hour, take up a table, mess up everything, I give you EXCELLENT SERVICE and you choose to grace me with 2 dollars, I need the lesson? For the most part society is good in this regard. Its a small segment that cant understand it. Your the same people who sit in a car dealership all day argueing over the price of the car. CHEAP ! If you have to ask how much it is, you cant afford it. Now noone says that you have to tip, but dont complain if your meal is terrible.

As far as terrible service? well, they are out there. I suggest you talk to a manager. All Im saying, is that if everything went well, your meal was good and so was the service, take care of the guy. He took care of you.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join