It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much is too much for bus fares?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Okay, this may cause some sort of problems for those who are of lower income, and its been kinda striking an issue with me because some people in Guelph do like protesting, sometimes violently over certain things, and this may be an issue if you get people who are low income, those supporting them etc.

But recently Guelph Transit has decided to raise fares up to $3.00 a ride, the second most expensive in Ontario, www.guelphmercury.com...

The thing that makes it too expensive for most people is that they don't connect their transit to other nearby cities, though Oakville is the same price, they connect to Mississauga, Toronto does as well but they are way bigger than Guelph and they charge $3.25 as does Ottawa.

Are they trying to get people to not ride the bus? destroy public transit in smaller cities? or cause some sort of civil unrest (like a rich vs poor thing which also is an issue in Guelph)

They recently did makeovers of the busses, and 70 busses in the fleet, and doing the new logos on them is going to cost $40,000 each and ending up buying a $70,000 hybrid vehicle.

I kinda find it interesting how much by city is wasting money

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Here in Dallas it is $4.00 for an all day ticket( local).$7.00 for an all day system pass. $1.75 for a single ride.

Hey, I would pay $3.00.
edit on 2-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
once the fair goes past about $4.00 bucks or so, return, its not worth it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Yea some people would but Guelph isn't the richest area in Ontario either, if auto sales dry up for whatever reason then that will cause unemployment here to skyrocket if Linamar or other places are forced to close, a few during the 2008 recession had closed already.

I think if another recession his this is going to kill transit in the city.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
mike lopez says we as americans should have a rail system and no indavidual cars like we have no mike lopez thinks that we should be able to pay 1 dallar to a buck 50 with all the gas thats just sitting in cars that only move one persone we could streatch out our suplies farther then now

vote mike lopez he punches nazies in the face

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Australian bus and train fares are among the highest in the world......

and it does'nt guarantee you a seat and many times you are left standing for a 40 min journey.

As for our trains......Sydney must have to be the filthiest in the world; each year train fares rise, and each year the trains just continue to get so damn filthy. The cabins get cleaned up after a full days run but even the cleaners don't do their jobs right.

The only time I see a cleaner on the trains is 2 weeks before election time. Inbetween, they wait until the trains arrive at Central at night and they just remove empty food packaging and newspapers.

I should post some of the pictures I have of Sydney trains....vomit, splatter of milkshakes, dropped food, rubbish.....it's disgusting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Me and a mate, in Perth WA, bought all day tickets one day, because we knew we'd be out all night - Friday night, etc...

Trains run till 2am, so we think it's all good.

$7.50 a ticket each.

This is at 8:30pm just before we head out. We do our rubbish firday night stuff, and it's about 12:45 and we're at the main Train station. Just as go to get on,

"Tickets please.."

sure, we show them, all days, purchased at 8:30pm this night.... Expired? WTF?

Expired at Midnight... "But the trains run till 2am? "

"Doesn't matter."

So they wouldn't let us on at near 1am, on a friday night. Never again we got all days.

Not to mention if you buy an all day before 9am, it's invalid. After 9am only. Lol.. Because workers were taking advantage of it.

Don't even ask about the zoning... You can go from the city, take a 45 minute trip up a line, and get off for $3.50. 3 Zones. But go one more stop, it's $4.75 or something. A zone change. Zone 4.

And the really stupid crap is, if you live one stop away from it, you still pay a 4 zone fare. just to go 1 stop.

Hrrrrhrhr trains... I hate them.

join