It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joy Division - Beautifully Terrifying

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I made a post during a turbulent time here...it was blown up by me cause I am stupid. This band, for me, relays the idea that art is not meant to be beautiful. Through art, one can explore the mysteries of life. There is no good and bad in art, it is all necessary. Often, to me, the most difficult and painful expressions mean the most. This was a troubled band from the start - you all know Ian killed himself...but regardless of your ideas of him, the beauty of human pain came from the music...can anyone see this is beautiful?
This is my story in song...

Before they were big: This song screams inginuity to me...

See, when people destroy art they are actually destroying the true ability to freely express one self. To destroy a symbol of an idea means nothing.

Anyone else?

CJ
edit on 2-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
personally my favourite Joy Division song is Transmission:

www.youtube.com...

Originally posted by ColoradoJens This was a troubled band from the start - you all know Ian killed himself...but regardless of your ideas of him, the beauty of human pain came from the music

Listening to Dead Souls can make my hair stand on end sometimes:

www.youtube.com...

One day we will all be dead souls...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by GrassyKnoll

Thanks for that grassyknoll...I love transmission too...JD is not an everyday listening band for me, but it brings with it memories I'd love to forget, and never forget, if that makes sense...
This again, to me, is almost pretty...

Why? I like a lot of music but this is speaking to me tonight...bummer I can't drink...

CJ

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
A brilliant band gone before their time. Ian Curtis' voice was so tortured yet so sadly beautiful. Not a bad legacy for only 2 studio albums.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by coyotepoet

Agreed. No matter how they are ultimately brushed (depressing) - to me the voice screams human needs...

CJ

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Great band!

If you haven't seen it yet, check out '24 Hour Party People'....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Ha -awesome - I've never seen that before - thanks! I'll have to check out more now..

CJ

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Beautifully tragic with whispers of what was to come.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Thank you Suspiria, the eternal was the first JD song I heard. At the time I thougt, wow these guys are depressing! They still are but I have grown to know and appreciate the beauty through the sadness. Too short in their time.

CJ

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

It's a top move, mostly about Tony Wilson and Factory Records, but JD play a big part of course.

All a true story and fascinating.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Speaking of history, here are a few examples of how Joy Division has influenced music...

this is just too cool for words...

just a sampling...

CJ

top topics

join