It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truthers: How Conspiracy Theories Spread

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Not sure which forum this should go in, actually, but I was en route to obligations today and heard this was a story coming up on WBUR's "Here and Now"....
here's the link.hereandnow.wbur.org...
The interview did not bring ATS into it, but it did say that millions of people are "bypassing mainstream news" and going to alternative (Conspiracy) sites for their daily updates.

You can listen to the interview (17 minutes worth), at their site.

The guest talks about how "you can't win an argument with conspiracy theorists", and it seemed to me really weird...he is specifically addressing the 9/11 "truthers" movement, but listening to it really made me think about ATS and "we" who are unwilling to accept the "reports and studies."

Maybe no one cares here, but I thought it was worth putting on here....
hereandnow.wbur.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
more bull# to cover up.. that the whole point of a conspiracy too.. if it is they will cover up any ways necesary.. and 9/11 truther probly have more evidence they they have"studies" that probly never happend.. also ppl have been caught taking part and admitted when they didnt know they were being recorded

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Here are a couple comments from the article (it was in May) about his book:

Some of Kay’s most illuminating passages center not on what conspiracy theorists believe — even to dignify it with the word “theory” is probably to grant them more legitimacy than they deserve — but on why they are attracted to such tedious rubbish in the first place. He divides them into different camps, including the “cranks” and the “firebrands.” Cranks are often reacting to male midlife crises — combating conspiracies, Kay says, offers a new sense of mission. Cranks, he adds, are frequently math teachers, computer scientists or investigative journalists.

But, they also think "we" are nujobs:

Once upon a time such people would most likely have operated in relative anonymity. But with the emergence of the Internet, Kay says, they have established their own cult followings, along with the sense of superiority that is created by seeming to enjoy direct access to what actually makes the world tick. Kay writes: “Many true conspiracy theorists I’ve met don’t even bother with Web surfing anymore. . . . From the very instant they first boot up their computer in the morning, their in-boxes comprise an unbroken catalog of outrage stories ideologically tailored to their pre-existing obsessions.” As Kay sees it, the Enlightenment is itself at stake. His verdict could hardly be more categorical: “It is the mark of an intellectually pathologized society that intellectuals and politicians will reject their opponents’ realities.”

Hmmm. Well, if anyone is interested, listen to the interview.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
This thread reminded me of one thing thats been bothering me: often when I am discussing something with someone on ATS, and I use a study to support my claims that goes contrary to their beliefs, they dismiss it saying that the University that conducted the study is somehow corrupted by the government , NWO , Reptillians ect... i feel like it is kind of disgraceful..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I've read and heard enough about this book to know that it's just more "appeal to authority" BS. It won't change any minds. And if it does, those whose minds it changes--well, they're too weak-minded and impressionable for us to care about anyway.

Much as I hate to see devious crap-peddlers like this prosper, I don't care how many copies he sells. It amounts to mental gymnastics and legerdemain with the truth, and in the long view he won't delay the truth coming out, when does come out, for 5 minutes longer. He's an intellectually dishonest showman with a shriveled little soul. There's a special circle in hell for people like this, and I'll be sure to gig him in a sensitive spot with my trident when I see him there....

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
1)A conspiracy theory is a belief which explains an event as the result of a secret plot by exceptionally powerful and cunning conspirators to achieve a malevolent end....
DICTIONARY.COM
2)
a theory that explains an event as being the result of a plot by a covert group or organization; a belief that a particular unexplained event was caused by such a group.

3)
the idea that many important political events or economic and social trends are the products of secret plots that are largely unknown to the general public.

SO IN THIS CASE THE GOVERNMENT IS A GOOD OLD CONSPIRACY THEORIST...
BUILDINGS DON'T FREE FALL LIKE THAT UNLESS....=)

WTC7 and the PENTAGON proves it was an inside job without a doubt.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Like it or not, the truth movement has increased over the years. They've tried to discredit us by labeling us as "truthers" is just another way of radicalizing a group in order to paint them as extremist in some way. Reality? We just want another independent investigation. Actually, we've had independent investigations without the co-operation of the government. And the implications are grave. Want to end all of the various conspiracy wildfires? Stop ridiculing us and listen. Of course that won't happen.

I've said it before, the government's story is also just a conspiracy theory. It just places a foreign group as the conspirators instead

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I find it interesting also that this broadcast (Here and Now), is sandwiched between NPR programs. NPR had, for a LONG time, been my main source for news and seemed far superior to MSM. It's formatting and reporting appear to be aimed at people uninterested in commercial TV (myself included). But then I learned that the Brookings Institution, one of NPR's favorite "research and policy" sources is a cardholding Bilderberg participant.

It fascinates me how using tone of voice, somber silence as a background, lack of catchy tunes and blatant adverts can make a discussion seem so "real" and above reproach. But then, what better way to deliver one's message than in a calm, quiet, scholarly, unemotional tone?

Shouting and ranting and waving one's arms doesn't lend much to credibility in our society, and to me that is a sad state of affairs...

Nowadays, my main news-watching comes from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, although I regularly browse both alternative and MS news like bbc, CNN, etc. I keep my mind open and use my own common sense to try to grasp the state of the world. But you know, at this point I am unconvinced of anything I hear anywhere, and that is really disheartening.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I was watching the 9/11 special on fox last night they for some reason thought they needed to put the simpsons in there about the episode were he holds a magazine that says $9 11 im pretty sure ya'll have seen it.. they try to debunk yet,... but what about all the all movies????? Then i turn it to gay MSNBC and some how this little white American reporter (im american too) well he managed to sit down with two main al qadi leaders in a nice little room and discussed how islam recognized that the Devil was not a threat to Islam anymore it was America.. Im sitting here thinkin how does a reporter get this interview when they hate America so much and the Gov. is supposely after them. Do they Expect us to believe that, i mean obviously people are asleep but seriously come on!!! WAKE UP!! Thats just like the reporter who sat down with Osama ya right lol. Maybe Obama. This is a Joke.

new topics

top topics

join