It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to truly do what I want to do and find peace/happiness in the world today?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Thank you so much for your response!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

Plenty of entrepreneurs; small business owners; writers and movie makers live without dragging themselves to a "God I hate this place" job.

I am one.

If it was "easy"; everybody would do it.

Absolutely.

Anyone who wants to take up the entrepreneurial or freelance life should know: it is ten times harder, for the average person, than making a living from full-time, formal employment. People dream of working for themselves because they think they can make their own hours, only take on jobs that interest them, spend more time with their families, travel, etc. Fat chance. The demands and uncertainties of the freelance life keep you tethered to the grindstone far more effectively than any employment contract. Why? Because you know that if you step away from the plate, or mess up, or don’t deliver on time, not only do you lose that pay cheque but you also lose an element of reputation, and that makes finding the next job harder. Besides, if you work for yourself, you have to take care of administrative details, taxes, conforming to legal and environmental regulations and all the rest of that stuff, too. Freelancers and independent entrepreneurs are rarely off duty. We work when the work is there: weekends, holidays, even nights when the deadline starts to loom. Plus, we have to stay cool, look competent and trustworthy, learn to massage clients’ egos and accommodate their eccentricities, and more.

If anyone thinks all that is easier or automatically more fun than working for somebody else, they’d best think again.

What makes you "different"?

And that is exactly the right question to ask.

The only reasons to work for yourself are that you have a unique skill that’s valuable enough to earn you more in the independent market than in the job market, or a great idea that will make you millions, or you are such an anti-social person that working as part of an organisation is literally impossible for you. If you want to work for yourself in order to find ‘peace and happiness’, forget it.

At least for the first ten or fifteen years.

If, by then, you’re still in business, chances are you’ve made a success out of your independent enterprise or freelance career. This means you’re good and you can start picking and choosing when, where and on what you work. At that point, it starts becoming personally rewarding.

Just don’t expect it to happen overnight.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kolumbus

Become a street musician. I played all over Europe and the US as a young man. I also took other jobs to get by and didn't limit myself to just busking. When I reached my late twenties I apprenticed to a group of designer/craftsmen and learned how to make things; and traveled all over the place selling my wares; from sterling jewelry to fine art. In my late thirties I became a fly fishing guide and outfitter and pretty much settled down in the southwest Rocky Mts. Now I am a film maker/actor/screen writer/producer. Follow your passion; what you may lack in financial rewards you more than make up for it in personal satisfaction. Peace and happiness is more than possible in today's world, but it takes a concerted effort to develop the mindset, the passion, the courage, to not weaken and fall into the grind. Living the counter culture, hippie lifestyle has it's drawbacks and dangers but the rewards are indescribable. No limits, no rules, no excuses.....

Good Luck amigo

edit on 3-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
How about seasonal work at vacation destinations?

Two of my children do seasonal work and travel...one works as a white water river guide in Appalachia in the summer, The other works in Glacier National Park in the summer.

They then come home for a month in October...then it's off to Vermont to work at a ski lodge until March-April...

Then home for a few weeks and then back off again....

Once you have enough skills...for instance, as a river guide you get training in CPR, field medicine, swimming, rafting, customer skills, water navigation, and even cook...you can transfer those skills to another river outfit and continue to build a resume. Start in the southeast and eventually move to rafting Colorado or Alaska.

Unfortunately....the pay is minimal and contractual... and every season you have to prove yourself all over again. Plus, you don't get to develope roots anywhere... which works for some people.

One fella at the rafting outfit was 72 and showed no signs of stopping... in the off season, he stays in a cabin...and not the fancy kind, but a real chink log cabin and lives off the land and odd jobs and doing small engine repair.

Anyway, this is what they are doing and it sounds like something that might work for you.....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
A wise man once said "If you do what you love you will never work a day in your life."

Another wise man once said "To give up trying would indeed be our greatest mistake."

Yet another wise man once said "I know... that's why I said it."

whew... okay that was a lot of wise men... where's all the wise woman at? ohyeah that's right... behind every great man is a woman... and behind the fall of every great man is usually another woman...

okay enough amusing nonsence... Couple of friendly suggestion to consider...

1. check out the military... If you are strong willed enough to survive the brainwashing and maintain a semblance of your previous personality it can be a doorway into a much greater and successful world. Some of what they teach is very worthwhile. (I found this to be true.) And you can often travel if you want to. And you can do it without starving or bumming off the generosity of others. There are many downsides but those are the upsides.

2. Save up a few bucks or ask your family for it... and then get some basic camping gear, good boots and hit the trail... there are thousands of miles of maintained wilderness trails in America. Everything from the Appalachian trail to the American discovery trail down to the Pacific Crest trail. You could hike america for months or years.

If you are church going man you may want to schedule stops at related churches near the trail for hygeine and hospitality. (although most hikers absolutely reek during the first few weeks eventually all the toxins in your system get leached out and you stop smelling horrible... just a little "musky" but it's usually tolerable.) Also suggest your family hold an open bus ticket in reserve for you for when you want to go home. Remember travel light, travel safe. (btw this isn't my personal experience but that of a very close friend of mine.) (I've always wanted to try this but life hasn't allowed it.)

3. Absolutely make every effort to go to college. At least get an associates degree and try to get a bachelors if you can. Without it your options are limited. If you join the military be sure to invest in the GI bill... it is worth it. And it's okay if you can't handle the challenges of collegiate life. However, based upon your writing and attendance at ATS I'm guessing you are capable of learning.

Remember college isn't about actually learning anything; it's all about getting good grades and eventually a diploma.

No matter what you choose my adventurous friend... "Fair Winds and Following Seas."

("When the squishy hits the fan run for the hills... and then watch for the fish... it will always tell you which way to go.")

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I am the same way. I'm also fairly young and I have escaped the system entirely also. I will soon be successful in hiphop or form money in some sort of creative fashion. Keep your head up and stay running from today's current illusion of life and death. Your soul creates the ulltimate plan for you. Spread love and peace in any way possible and it will come to you. Also, keep indulging yourself in 5th knowledge and anything that seems to be "hidden" from you...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join