It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Free vegetable seeds provided by various organizations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
So I wanted to begin a new thread on the topic of free vegetable seeds so that it didn't interfere with a separate topic.

Free seeds to cultivate as you will. I first heard about this on a local news station not long ago, and began hearing more and more about it through various other outlets. I was baffled because why would farmers, a notoriously government-taken-advantage-of group, offer something such as this? All it would mean for them in the long-run is less profit, right? And with seeds in general coming with a pricetag, why would this hand-out be happening? Apparently it took off years ago and some people are really taking advantage of it. It's part of an umbrella project originally provided by non-profit orgs. and the gov't (now including some farmer's associations) - with the premise of keeping everyone in America from going hungry. There is no need for proof of hardship, unemployment records, or any such documentation. Not even an annoying e-mail distribution list. You mail them an address, they mail you seeds (or you head to a distribution center where you pick them up), it's as simple as that.

I believe following these social programs, certain farmers/groups realized some potential advantages of getting their produce out there for "free". Just like samples in a food court, they'll let you try them (or try your hand at growing them at least), and when you realize the quality of their food perhaps you'll take the easy route and buy directly from them. It also helps get their name out there and market them. I think that's probably what is driving a lot of it today.

Anyway, with the price of fresh produce these days this can be a really great opportunity. You really can't get anything better than a fresh home-grown vegetable out of the ground, both for taste and satisfaction for your accomplishment. Plus if you're like me, you absolutely love anything outdoors, even if it means gardening or just spending time in your yard.

Unfortunately in doing some more current research, I'm seeing many of the various organizations that were flourishing not long ago now have "waiting lists" - some of which span up to a year! Some have back-logs of promised seeds to 50,000+ families. It appears that just like any other untapped market, someone gets wind of it and it goes huge. But a lot of these organizations are great and offer not only vegetable seeds, but standard plant/tree seeds, flower seeds, etc. Some even use "waste seeds" that were just going to be thrown away anyway.

For the survivalist...you can't get much better than this!

Here are some internet sources for free vegetable seeds:

www.dinnergarden.org...
www.freecycle.org...
wintersown.org...
america-the-beautiful.org...
www.humeseeds.com...

There are plenty more out there, you just have to search for them.

EDIT: Please note I have not tried these programs or gotten seeds, but I did hear about it - and for some reason continue to hear about it. So I wanted to put it out there for anyone who really needs it, or at least wants to try it out, and see what everything thought?
edit on 2-9-2011 by Ajax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ajax

Do you know if the seeds are GM seeds? I was just sitting here thinking about stocking up on some seeds just to have our own supply on hand. However, I am not a fan of GM seeds.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Interesting! Think they have any free hemp sees as well?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Everyone should always have seeds on hand... you can grow them just about anywhere as long as you have access to water.

The thing that really bothers me, however is the "Food Safety Modernization Act" where they can come destroy your crops when "THEY" think you are growing more than you can use, thus "taking away from the US economics."

www.fda.gov...

I grow a limited supply of veggies every year (I live in a 4plex and have limited space) so it is possible anywhere.

For free hemp seeds....... dunno what to tell you
sorry!

Spring time, a lot of places give veggie seeds out,(not hemp) at least here.
edit on 2-9-2011 by freespirit1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hope4Good

You stole my thunder.

I only use non-gmo seeds in my garden because I know I'll get seeds from those plants for next year. That way if I am not able to buy them, I have a free supply.
Alot (but not all) of gmo seeds are sterile so you are dependent on the seed companies. Also, I dont want to spread gmo contaminated pollin to infect the clean stuff.

~Neysa

top topics

join