It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nothing Separates Us Except Belief

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Without interpretation, without discernment, without a brain, we are all just a collection of a various assortment of atomic particles bound by the laws of physics.

Then organized intelligence gets introduced into the equation, and suddenly we are aware of differences.

However, it is possible to be aware of only similarities, at which point you realize we are all one thing, and the only differences that exist are the ones you choose to see.

What if the Earth was an organism in and of itself and individual lifeforms were individual cells attempting to claim individuality. With a focused perspective, there will be more differences, but from a broader perspective, there is just the Earth as one single information-generating organism.

So if you believed you were the Earth, would you not understand that everything you see is actually you experiencing you from a different angle?

How would you behave if everyone was you? Would you do anything differently than you have been doing it all along? Would you cause violence? Would you have hatred? Would you do anything that would harm someone else at all?

If harming someone else is equal to harming yourself, would you do it?

What about if you don't even love yourself? Then would you?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb

What if the Earth was an organism in and of itself and individual lifeforms were individual cells attempting to claim individuality. With a focused perspective, there will be more differences, but from a broader perspective, there is just the Earth as one single information-generating organism.

So if you believed you were the Earth, would you not understand that everything you see is actually you experiencing you from a different angle?

How would you behave if everyone was you? Would you do anything differently than you have been doing it all along? Would you cause violence? Would you have hatred? Would you do anything that would harm someone else at all?

I'd love everyone as if they were myself, and treat everyone with kindness. When you do something you know you shouldn't, you punish yourself right? So this theory doesn't imply we need to be easy on criminals, but rather we should love them and treat them with kindness as well. They are us on a different path. You help show them the way.

About the Earth being alive...just look at the stones that come out of the Earth. It is definitely alive.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
We are all one but we are not all the same. Individuality was intentional otherwise we would all have the same finger print. Trees would all be the same height. Etc Etc.. Someone/Something intended it to be this way.

I am not certain of the whole "soul" thing..because what about people with 2 heads and one body..or someone not mentally "there". Do these people have souls? Do they have a spirit? Are the spirits technically healthy but the mind is whats sick there for they are trapped? Its deep questions like this that make the argument of all are together in spirit/soul that I find hard to ingest but the idea that we are all "the same basic organism" then yes.

Sadly..There are weak and strong minds out there. Weak and Strong physical people out there. So long as both exist there will always be misery for the strong prey on the weak. Priests played with the minds of surfs and kings and kept them ignorant to the word. Politicians lie and prey on the voters because they wish to preserve power and status. Those with money whom have earned it honestly vs those who have not. Those who believe they are capable of going out and getting their's vs those who want it given to them via hand out.

We are stuck sadly...because human nature is human nature and until we have something which binds us at the hip and makes us forget our differences for the next generation or two things will not change. Welcome to what the hippies of the 60's wanted bro..All you need is love remember? When we became monsters in the media for raising stern hardened children and gave way to liberal thinking well...The rest is history.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

If it came to survival, does talk like "treating others as you would yourself" even come into play? You can beg someone, or you can hurt them to get what you want in order to survive. My guess is if begging doesn't work, you do what you have to. Equality can only exist in the idea of opportunity; as soon as it is realized that another is abusing their share either intentionally or unintentionally, actions will be made to balance things out.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

If it came to survival, does talk like "treating others as you would yourself" even come into play? You can beg someone, or you can hurt them to get what you want in order to survive. My guess is if begging doesn't work, you do what you have to. Equality can only exist in the idea of opportunity; as soon as it is realized that another is abusing their share either intentionally or unintentionally, actions will be made to balance things out.

You missed the third option - Convince them that working together would greatly improve both your chances of survival. Unless of course you were referring to mugger victim scenario but that can be resolved by just letting them have what the want. There are situations where removing the threat would be of benefit, but that is only when there are multiple victims that would benefit.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jamjar

Yeah, Im not doubting discourse as real weapon. Nor am I saying in this day in age is something like survival the kind of issue that is first brought to attention. I think comfort is a more relevant subject. I'm really arguing in theory about separation and equality, and that harming one an other is a short-cut the can't be overlooked for belief's sake. Harming isn't killing. Yeah, pain is a horrible thing, but used wisely can do a great deal more persuading than the hope that you can communicate the severity of your needs through words alone.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by smithjustinb

Then organized intelligence gets introduced into the equation, and suddenly we are aware of differences.

Actually i would say when "organized stupidity" is introduced to the equasion... we get things like racism, and bigotry...among other things...

Sadly belief isn't the only thing that seperates us as a species...

though it is one of the major factors.

new topics

top topics

join