It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are Americans so Vengeful?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by m1991

Originally posted by Qemyst
Guns ABSOLUTELY can kill people. So do knives. So do rocks, pieces of wood, swords, a video game controller, a fork, a sharpened spoon, a high heel shoe, a regular shoe, bombs, a rope, a bike chain, a pipe, a broken beer bottle, a sharp piece of metal, a pencil, a pen, cars...

I feel that all of the above things should have MUCH stricter rules on them. Many of the items can be used to bludgeon someone to death, or inflict lethal stab wounds, or blow someone up... I'm sure i missed some things. Oh yeah, wrenches, screwdrivers, a saw... uhh... Probably still missing some things.

Cheers
edit on 2-9-2011 by Qemyst because: (no reason given)

Yes. But not nearly as lethally (and as impersonally) as guns.

What's impersonal about being bludgeoned to death with a pipe? Strangled with a rope? Stabbed? Obliterated by a bomb (which are so easy to make)? All those things seem pretty lethal to me. Just as lethal as a gun.

I'm serious. I demand that those things have strict regulations put on them.
Matter of fact, I demand that killing someone be illegal. That way, people can't kill people. That'll show anyone who has their heart set on killing someone to think twice!

I also demand that "COMMITTING CRIMES IS ILLEGAL" signs be put up in public places, that way when someone is thinking of committing a crime, they will see the sign and really think twice.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by mythos

well for those of us who study world history and looked at the history of europe,asia and the rest of the world

the us does not come even close to being "barbaric" as they have and that is a fact.

Oh really?

I guess taking the land from the native people is nothing?

I guess enslaving millions of Africans is nothing?

I guess bullying the whole planet with our nukes and armies is nothing?

-=sigh=-

Natives lost a war. Now, I don't agree with it but, how many other countries in this world have had similar incidents. I am pretty sure we can find plenty of examples.

America enslaved Africans? Last I heard it was the Dutch and the local African tribes that were the enslavers. Now people in America bought said slaves but never hear much about American ships running over and rounding up Africans.

Bullying the whole planet: I agree partially with this post. Once again though you make it sound like it is just America that does this. Please research this more because there is more then one country bullying people.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by radosta
Do a very cursery review of history and tell me that people aren't inherently violent. "Evil" is a value judgement. Look at other members of the primate family. The ones most closely related to us are also very violent and have class hierarchies. Are chimpanzees evil? We are what we are. Animals controlled by our biological impulses. Philosophy and automobiles won't change that.

What, so, no revolution ever worked? The Enlightenment was an illusion? "I Have A Dream" didn't change ANYTHING?

The fact human beings are blessed with such a high form of intellect allows for a secondary kind of evolution that can turn us away from our violent past. In a biological level, yes, there is a 'mean streak' in humans, but we are evolving out of it, and I really feel like we are destined for greater things.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azdraik

reply to post by mythos

well for those of us who study world history and looked at the history of europe,asia and the rest of the world

the us does not come even close to being "barbaric" as they have and that is a fact.

Oh really?

I guess taking the land from the native people is nothing?

I guess enslaving millions of Africans is nothing?

I guess bullying the whole planet with our nukes and armies is nothing?

-=sigh=-

Natives lost a war. Now, I don't agree with it but, how many other countries in this world have had similar incidents. I am pretty sure we can find plenty of examples.

America enslaved Africans? Last I heard it was the Dutch and the local African tribes that were the enslavers. Now people in America bought said slaves but never hear much about American ships running over and rounding up Africans.

Bullying the whole planet: I agree partially with this post. Once again though you make it sound like it is just America that does this. Please research this more because there is more then one country bullying people.

I'm not saying America is the worst ever. I'm just saying we're not even somewhat more humane than Europe, Asia etc were even in deep history.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It would be fair to say that none of us are of sound mind. Yes including myself.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qemyst

What's impersonal about being bludgeoned to death with a pipe? Strangled with a rope? Stabbed? Obliterated by a bomb (which are so easy to make)? All those things seem pretty lethal to me. Just as lethal as a gun.

I'm serious. I demand that those things have strict regulations put on them.
Matter of fact, I demand that killing someone be illegal. That way, people can't kill people. That'll show anyone who has their heart set on killing someone to think twice!

I also demand that "COMMITTING CRIMES IS ILLEGAL" signs be put up in public places, that way when someone is thinking of committing a crime, they will see the sign and really think twice.

Cheers

Smashing a person to death, strangling them, stabbing them, those are all far more personal ways of killing someone than a gunshot. It takes a special level of madness to murder with your own hands, with their blood splashing on you. Anyone can shoot a gun.

The bomb thing ... for one thing, bombs are illegal and should be, so that kills your point (no pun intended), another thing most murderers don't use bombs unless they are political terrorists or the like.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

....I'm serious.. I feel threatened with the aforementioned items not having strict regulations on them...... Cheers

Qemyst, I've been lobbying for them to introduce laws protecting us from video game controllers for years, but it has been an exercise in futility.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I am easily confused, and it has happened again, with mythos being the trigger for said confusion. Please clarify the impression I've gotten from your work here, if you'd be so kind.

Originally posted by mythos

reply to post by mythos

as a country founded on freedom and democracy it should hold itself to a higher standard than the rest of the world.

it is of the OP's perspective it does not. having studied my history, sadly, i cannot disagree with the OP.

I can only take that to mean that if the US should hold itself to a higher standard than the rest of the world, thenthe US should hold the rest of the world to a lower standard than it holds itself. So, mythos, as unpleasant as it sounds, your argument seems to be that the US can look at a country like Somalia, or China, or Haiti, or the rest of the world, and say "Poor little country, it's ok if you do terrible things, we won't hold you to a very high standard. You're not in our league."

I know you don't mean that, because that is the attitude that gets Americans disliked. So, please, what do you mean?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

I'm just saying we're not even somewhat more humane than Europe, Asia etc were even in deep history.

You need a history lesson then.

Start here,
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 043030p://bFriday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by m1991

I'm just saying we're not even somewhat more humane than Europe, Asia etc were even in deep history.

Explain.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Qemyst

Qemyst, here's a prime example of shoe violence that could have been much worse. UNfortunately, the victim knew how to duck and weave:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by m1991

Explain.

Read above post.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I can only take that to mean that if the US should hold itself to a higher standard than the rest of the world, thenthe US should hold the rest of the world to a lower standard than it holds itself. So, mythos, as unpleasant as it sounds, your argument seems to be that the US can look at a country like Somalia, or China, or Haiti, or the rest of the world, and say "Poor little country, it's ok if you do terrible things, we won't hold you to a very high standard. You're not in our league."

I know you don't mean that, because that is the attitude that gets Americans disliked. So, please, what do you mean?

I think what he/she means is Americans always go on about how they're the nicest people on Earth. So I mean, shouldn't we start acting like it?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

reply to post by m1991

Explain.

Read above post.
en.wikipedia.org...

Sure. Of course, Asia is something like 5 times bigger than the United States in area, something like 13 times bigger in population, and has a history that is something like 30x longer.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Why are Americans so Vengeful?,

Does road rage count?

I am tired of driving 65 to 75 miles to work everyday and have to follow a 78 year old person doing 35 in a 55 zone.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by m1991

Sure. Of course, Asia is something like 5 times bigger than the United States in area, something like 13 times bigger in population, and has a history that is something like 30x longer.

No comment, have a nice day.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I'm glad I live in a country where almost no one carries guns, knives and the likes unless they are going hunting or fishing. Yeah, not even the police.

I walk outside, day or night feeling perfectly safe. Yes, even now, after the Utøya incident.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Amen to that....I believe I said that 2 pages ago...

Bottom line, I believe the OP is young (20) and that this "Conversation" is now pointless being that he isn't entirely sure how he feels.

The OP's comments: "No one has shown me proof Americans are not vengeful" shows this is a pointless debate.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

My Thoughts Exactly

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   

reply to post by m1991

I have a comment on this point. Were did the imagrants that came to the U.S. come from? follow the history. just because the land mass changes does not mean the history just stops for no reason.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join