It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.1 quake off of Alaska

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Source

A 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck Friday in the Aleutian Islands off Alaska, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, prompting a brief tsunami warning for a portion of Alaska's coast.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the earthquake struck in the waters at about 6:55 a.m. ET. There were no reports of injuries or damage, according to Alaska's KTUU.com.

The tsunami warning was in effect for coastal areas of Alaska from Unimak Pass to Amchitka Pass. It was canceled about an hour later, USGS confirmed to NBC News.

I checked and did not see another thread, but it's rare I get here first. In any case, 7.1, not 5.8.

edit on 9/2/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Ya know the strangest thing happened while I was on the USGS earthquake map the other day. A quake popped up in Utah and about two seconds later it was removed from the site, this happened while I was watching it. But the quake off Alaska has been downgraded to a 6.8, very strange to see a quake of this magnitude up there. I monitor the earthquake map daily and this is the largest one I've seen so far up that way.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Funny i find when i do a search on ats..

.1 www.abovetopsecret.com...

2 www.abovetopsecret.com...

3 www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thank you

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
TheSep beat me to it, lol. It has indeed been posted already --- multiple times. Although, according to Global Incident Quake Map, there was a 6.8 at the same time as well. I also count ten aftershocks so far ranging from 3.9 to 5.1. Not sure how accurate the Quake Map is compared to USGS though.

~V

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Since it was on The Today Show this morning, I assumed it wouldn't exactly be breaking news.

Youknowwhatimsayin?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Well, it isn't always conspiracy. Earthquake detectors get false alerts all the time. It might have been explosion near the seismograph.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaehne

The real problem with USGS and earthquake is that it belongs to TPTB. Some EQ's are often brushed off the list or revised down. Do not wonder why some big ones often do not appear on this website. I do not consider this as absolute, but it is fact and it has happened many times before folks.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
What is really interesting about this to me is the crazy amount of activity leading up to this quake(which was downgraded to a 6.8, btw) in the Aleutian Islands.

I have an app for android called earthquake alert...there have been 6 more quakes in the same region above magnitude 4 since the 6.8, and one at 3.9. All came in the last 6 hours.

All aftershocks?

On the 29th of august, there were also quite a few smaller quakes in the same region.

And many more not in the Aleutian Islands, but still in Alaska.

edit: didn't read all the responses, seems someone already pointed out the aftershocks.
edit on 2-9-2011 by semicolonsmile because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join