It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with these exponentially rising prices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well? What is the actual, accepted by the majority reason for them? Although it pains me to say, I have a few tenuous links to the "upper class" as people call them. I've never actually spoken to them, but I know people who have - therefore what I tell you is probably exaggerated (hyperbole as the media call it) but it's EXACTLY as it was told to me, not the exact words and I suppose it is subject to my personal interpretation so - oh yeah, it's actually quite hard not to do that, OK never mind, here is what I made of these comments.

They, I'll refer to them as "they" plainly because I don't really get them... speaking as a "person", They... seem to have a certain rhetoric between themselves, and that is that prices are rising in line with earnings. Now, some people will scoff at that, and rightly so. Who here (in the UK) are actually NOT struggling financially, that actually work? I know that'll get people wound up because a lot of people aren't working because they're not physically capable, have too many external responsibilities, have mental issues, just can't get a job or whatever. As much as this will offend you, I have ALL of them issues (despite the first, I am actually fully physically capable to work), and if you just can't seem to get a job then you're either doing it on purpose or the area you're looking for work in is saturated and you need to look farther afield (there's your travel cost and actual hours of life to be included in your calculations there).

So, a serious discussion. I am a software developer, yep good title sounds brilliant. It's OK I suppose, pays me more than jobs that don't involve me solving decent puzzles daily etc, I enjoy it. What I don't enjoy is the paranoid "I don't know how to write software therefore you are ripping me off and I need to watch your every move" management that seems to plague my industry and the lazy arse people who just think sitting there for 7.5 hours per day; you know having an actual, physical presence with their mound of meat just sat there on facebook or whatever, whom I have to call my "colleagues".

I'm one of the ones who have "made it", I have a degree (which I'll be paying for until I'm at least 42), I have a job with a title that makes people go "oooh, you must be important" and I STILL have to deal with these #ing CHILDREN who get to play "boss". And while we're at it, I HATE the word boss. As far as I'm concerned, the people I work for are not my boss; they're merely other humans I'm being paid to help them achieve their mission. Maybe I should actually become a freelance contractor...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
What are you talking about? The title here appears to have no relationship to the body of your message. What exponentially rising prices? I can't think of a thing that has rise by a factor of ten in the last few months. French bread is still $2.99 a loaf and has been for several years. Gas has certainly gone up, but hardly exponentially.

Then you talk about how stupid your boss is. O....K.... Not unusual, and yes, you should probably work for yourself. People who don't understand software development have no clue what is involved. They just think it "happens" automatically. Been there myself.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If you're a software developer and still struggling financially, then no wonder people are having so much trouble. Of course software developers don't get paid tons and tons of money, but they make a pretty penny compared to most folks.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hahahaha, I agree - I did go off on a tangent and started ranting! That's all it is really, just a rant.

You know, part of me thinks its the circles I am in, at least 90% of the people I know ALL complain about how hard they're finding it to just "live" in England. I'm struggling financially too, but I do spend quite a lot on things I actually don't need, and I have no kids yet (for this actual reason). That remaining 10% spend a lot of time with rich people, and by rich I mean people with a LOT of disposable income, i.e. 100k+/year and X amount in dividends and basically I want their massive area of open land, huge house, Jaguar / Bentley and "what the hell are people whinging about, I'm WELL happy with my life" attitude they seem to have.

How do I get that?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Terric

The exponentially rising prices are due to the exponential fall in our economy and exponential increase in debt. Look at the exponential price of gold. That is a good indicator of how much your money is worth now.

Also look at the exponential decrease in jobs and manufacturing around you. Look at the exponential rise in imports, or the exponential decrease in exports. We are being destroyed at an exponential rate

Edit~I hope your job gets better, but I doubt it. Why pay a programmer/developer 100K plus benefits when you could hire someone else overseas for 3k who will be happy for the job?
edit on 2-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terric
reply to post by schuyler

basically I want their massive area of open land, huge house, Jaguar / Bentley and "what the hell are people whinging about, I'm WELL happy with my life" attitude they seem to have.

How do I get that?

Fake it? No, really. You're never going to own and live in Longleat and hopefully y'all are over the fact that the guy who does is bat-poop crazy anyway, but my technique is to (a) Be content with less, so that 900 ft.sq. bungalow looks like a mansion to me and it butts up against some parkland so it looks like I live on a lot of acerage. Then I buy an older Jaguar or Bentley. The older ones are down in price - exponentially! I had a Mk II, for example, that has the same dash as an XK-E. Very cool and the envy of those rich pr, I mean, friends, too.

Of course, since you are in soffware development, you could write a terribly popular ATS app for the iPhone and make millions!

top topics

join