It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bees now disappearing worldwide, UN report warns.!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I know there were several posts about the bees disappearing but now we have new evidence of the smoking gun.
Please read the two reports below or visit the links.
I personally have not seen a single bee this summer and I am an outdoor person trust me.It worries me - in my childhood I remember being stung by bees a few times and seeing them all over the place.Does anybody else notice the complete absence of the bees from the environment?

"March 21, 2011 - For several decades, colony collapse disorder (CCD) — a mysterious condition where entire bee colonies die for seemingly no obvious reason — has been inflicting bee populations across both Europe and the US. But scientists from the United Nations (UN) say the phenomenon is now a global crisis, afflicting bees across China, Japan, and Africa, as well as in other places.

The report, issued by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), explains what many NaturalNews readers already know — mainly that without bees, there will be no more food. Bees are one of nature’s primary pollinators, and over 70 percent of the world’s food supply relies on them to grow.

“Human beings have fabricated the illusion that in the 21st century they have the technological prowess to be independent of nature,” said Achim Steiner, UN Under-Secretary-General and UNEP Executive Director. “Bees underline the reality that we are more, not less, dependent on nature’s services in a world of close to seven billion people.” One such mode of “technological prowess” is the flagrant and irresponsible use of genetically-modified organisms (GMO). GMO technology is heavily reliant on the use of toxic pesticides and herbicides, which several recent studies have pinned to the widespread bee deaths.

In January, a leaked document revealed that the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) actually knowingly approved a bee-killing pesticides known as clothianidin. This Bayer CropScience chemical has been identified as a primary instigator of CCD, and yet it has remained freely available on the market since 1993 "
LINK

and a second article showing a possible link between electromagnetic waves and bees disappearance

"Scientists may have found the cause of the world’s sudden dwindling population of bees – and cell phones may be to blame. Research conducted in Lausanne, Switzerland has shown that the signal from cell phones not only confuses bees, but also may lead to their death. Over 83 experiments have yielded the same results. With virtually most of the population of the United States (and the rest of the world) owning cell phones, the impact has been greatly noticeable.

Led by researcher Daniel Favre, the alarming study found that bees reacted significantly to cell phones that were placed near or in hives in call-making mode. The bees sensed the signals transmitted when the phones rang, and emitted heavy buzzing noise during the calls. The calls act as an instinctive warning to leave the hive, but the frequency confuses the bees, causing them to fly erratically. The study found that the bees’ buzzing noise increases ten times when a cell phone is ringing or making a call – aka when signals are being transmitted, but remained normal when not in use.

The signals cause the bees to become lost and disoriented. The impact has already been felt the world over, as the population of bees in the U.S. and the U.K. has decreased by almost half in the last thirty years – which coincides with the popularization and acceptance of cell phones as a personal device. Studies as far back as 2008 have found that bees are repelled by cell phone signals.

Bees are an integral and necessary part of our agricultural and ecological systems, producing honey, and more importantly pollinating our crops. As it is unlikely that the world will learn to forgo the convenience of cell phones, it is unclear how much they will contribute to the decline of bees, and their impact on the environment."
Link

What are your personal observations and opinions in regards with the bees disappearing?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Maybe those stupid little chemtrails everybody has complained about are responsible for spraying those chemicals....And not trying to "hide Nibiru" and other crazy stupid conspiracies that conspiracy nerds come up with?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I know they are on the decline, but take a look at what plants you have growing in the area. Bee's are attracted more to some than others - It may simply be that they don't fancy what you or the neighbours gardens have to offer. Plant more bee friendly specimens.

I think I must have all your bee's this year. I have a bramble patch for juicy berries for my preserves and I can't get near it for bee's.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
You might want to check out the movie "The Vanishing of the Bees" as it deals with this directly actually showing you some of the bee keepers affected by this, and what they suspect is the cause, as well as the French who already banned the suspected pesticides.

Basically when you think of pesticides, or at least when I thought of them, I thought of the type you are spraying directly on the plants, which is the traditional method.

But this is no more, now they actually have pesticides residing in and on the seed itself, which keeps the pesticides in the plant for its entire life, in the leaves, fruit, seeds, and pollen.

As you know, bees collect pollen, this is how we pollinate crops to actually grow food.

The french noticed that months after having their bees pollinate crops with these pesticides, they suffered CCD, but bees kept far away were fine. Within a year of banning them, the bees bounced back.

It's quite alarming to know how dependent we are on these critters

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I had no bees last year or the year before but this year we have quite a bit of them.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

It may also depend on where you live as well.

Around where I work there are a lot of industrial corporations, and every day that I walk to the metro rail I see at least 4 or 5 bees on the sidewalk just twitching seemingly unable to fly.

But I do also think there is a little fear mongering when it comes to this subject, as there is with almost all other parts of the environmental debate.

Great post though OP I have always expected that pesticides were contributing to the problem.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I know they are on the decline, but take a look at what plants you have growing in the area. Bee's are attracted more to some than others - It may simply be that they don't fancy what you or the neighbours gardens have to offer. Plant more bee friendly specimens.

I think I must have all your bee's this year. I have a bramble patch for juicy berries for my preserves and I can't get near it for bee's.

True ... I've had lots of bees for the past few years all around my cotoneaster
(they love it)
also try to not grow the double bloom ornamental varieties of you favourite flowers , try to go for the original non hybridised versions.
Bees can't use / get to the pollen on the double varieties and they are becoming more popular with gardeners because they look fuller

*edit*
also if you see a bee on the ground looking confused , either pick it up and put it on a flower or give it a few drops of sugar water ... A lot of the time they have simply ran out of fuel (I forget how long they can fly on a full belly but it's not long)
Once they run out of fuel they can't keep warm or fly to find more food , it's sweet to see them drink from the flower or sugar water then instantly fly off on their business

edit on 2-9-2011 by Isolation because: Added Bee help info

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I have bee hives all around me, but I am out in the countryside.

This summer alone, my 7yr old daughter got stung 5 or so times, my 4yr old son got stung 5 times (during 3 incidents), and my wife got stung twice.

I didn't get stung though because I know better than to go messing with bees. Oh and I wore long sleeves and pants so I had shielding when I am outside in the dirt messing around.

If you told me all the bees are dying, I would have to say this:

"I would hate to see how bad the bees are when they are flourishing!"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I think the UN is reporting on Bee Colonies perhaps. That is what they keep track of anyways, it would be nearly impossible to keep track of wild bee colonies anyways.

But you can easily keep records of industrial bee colonies.
So I bet this is just the die offs of industrial bees. We probably don't take care of them right anyways.

Diseases and poisons like pesticides or what-not, stuff like that, can wreak havoc on an industrial bee colony.

So I would expect they are talking about the decline of industrial bees. Not really the wild ones, because if you go outside they are all over the place (at least if you have flowering plants around).

I'll go check the article in depth and see if it differentiates between industrial and wild.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
electromagnetic, interference,,??

May 30, 2011

www.youtube.com...#!

a very enlightning discussion,,

pbs special,,
or something,,

electromagnetic, interference,,??,,changes in our enviroment,,? solar enviroment??

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its most likely due to the changing magnetic field of the Earth or increased activity of the Sun which is screwing up these Bees, me thinks.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
How about the leaked EPA document linking disappearing honey bees to Bayer pesticide.. A little too quickly forgotton about... These peeps should be charged.............
edit on 2-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Declines in managed bee colonies, seen increasingly in Europe and the US in the past decade, are also now being observed in China and Japan and there are the first signs of African collapses from Egypt, according to the report from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).

Ok I underlined the keyword. That is from the original first source the OP linked.

This is about "Managed" Colonies. Not wild ones.

This is about how mankind doesn't know how to take care of our animals anymore, and we are becoming poor farmers due to our reliance on the chemical corporations.

So, many of our farms are collapsing.

Look on the bright side though folks... Most of these wild bee colonies are thriving. There was a ton of wildflowers this year also, so tons of food for them too.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
How about the leaked EPA document linking.. disappearing honey bees to Bayer pesticide.. A little too quickly forgot about... These peeps should be charged.............

If it was really a pesticide that killed a managed bee colony, the bee keeper should be reimbursed by the corporation selling the poison and have his bee colonies replaced all expenses paid by the corporation.

That's just my opinion.

Also, that's what we call "good business" and how to build repeat customers. When you take care of them.

I bet 100 $ that these farmers will be left high and dry, and no one will take care of them. Pity...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
did the bees say "So Long, and Thanks for All the Pollen"
if so, its getting serious....

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Declines in managed bee colonies, seen increasingly in Europe and the US in the past decade, are also now being observed in China and Japan and there are the first signs of African collapses from Egypt, according to the report from the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).

Ok I underlined the keyword. That is from the original first source the OP linked.

This is about "Managed" Colonies. Not wild ones.

This is about how mankind doesn't know how to take care of our animals anymore, and we are becoming poor farmers due to our reliance on the chemical corporations.

So, many of our farms are collapsing.

Look on the bright side though folks... Most of these wild bee colonies are thriving. There was a ton of wildflowers this year also, so tons of food for them too.

"This is about how mankind doesn't know how to take care of our animals anymore",
u a city boy right?

all beekeepers and farmers,,don't know how to take care of there animals anymore?????

is that right?

such a blanket statement,, your better than that,,
do the math.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

But I do also think there is a little fear mongering when it comes to this subject, as there is with almost all other parts of the environmental debate.

Well in this particular topic today, I wouldn't say it's fear mongering.

There are problems though.
1) Poor reporting, misleading.
2) Misunderstanding difference between industrial bee colonies and wild bee colonies.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Genetically re-create the bees again. Farm breeding of bees on a wider scale.

Move along now. Nothing to fear. We are an advance race now. There are more to worry than bees which is still within human control today. Time better spent of worries and comming out with solutions over THAT which mankind has no control or tech over.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I have a huge beehive in a tree outside my balcony. I was planning to have it remove but i feel sorry for the little guys. Especially after reading this, i definitely won't !

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

I did do the math.

We let Monsanto and the chemical conglomerates do our farming for us now...

I honestly don't know of any farmers that do it the old ways anymore really. Maybe a few people with their personal gardens but that's it.

You can't hardly get away with farming naturally anymore anyways, there are a handful of gov't agencies that will bring the law to bear on you and press regulations upon you forcefully.

And had you actually read my posts, you would know I don't live in the city.

I didn't say all farmers, I said it in a vague generalized sense which leaves room for the exception that the rare farmer types do in fact use 100% non-corporate means to grow their crops safely. It's exceedingly rare.
edit on 2-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join