It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RBS-no ATM,cash back,online banking or phone!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
OK....this might just be a 'glitch', so please do not start berating me if that is all it is....but if it isn't....then it's serious.

My neighbour has just come round to me to tell me that her friend, who has no overdraft and 'plenty' of money had been round to his cashline....was refused. Popped into his local Tesco to buy a few bits and get some cashback....card refused. Got home to check his online bank account, was refused access to his bank account. Last port of call....phone 'em...."Cannot take your call at this time".

My neighbour, just to see what she would get called RBS (she doesn't have bank account with them) to see just if she could get info about opening account...line continuously engaged.

Could some RBS members please do some more checking. Nat West at the mo seem OK as I have account with them and their online banking is working.

I believe it was the RBS just about 2 weeks ago that announced that they would not allow cash withdrawals from any ATM other than their own, Morrisons and a couple of other places.

I sincerely hope this is not the start of a bank colapse as all the stock markets are in the red since the NYSE opened this am.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Im with Ulster bank , which is a sister company of RBS and I can use the online faclilties ok and it shows im in the black.

Might just be her.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
It's probably some "minor" (minor I mean in terms of global economy, strongly stressing for one person) issue, but certainly a bank collapse would do that. Remember Argentinean "corralito", it began just like that.

edit on 2/9/11 by AboveTheTrees because: ortography

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
They may have just blocked her card for some security reason. For example, this has happened to me before, and it was because I was using my card abroad, and the bank's frauds systems kicked in, and temporarily suspended the card for safety reasons.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

Thank you for your input. I didn't know about the Ulster Bank, but I did know abou Nat West being a sister group.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

Yes, I appreciate that, but he cannot get through to the Bank. He keeps getting automated response of "We apologise but cannot take your call at this moment", and I believe that is on the lost/stolen etc number.
She is my neighbour, he is her friend.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry too much about RBS. They are effectively nationalised at this point. The only way they go down entirely is if the UK is going down too. At that point you'd better hope you have a well stocked larder and are big enough and strong enough to fight off your hungry neighbours.

edit on 2-9-2011 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup
I wouldn't worry too much about RBS. They are effectively nationalised at this point. The only way they go down entirely is if the UK is going down too. At that point you'd better hope you have a well stocked larder and are big enough and strong enough to fight off your hungry neighbours.

edit on 2-9-2011 by justwokeup because: typo

I take it you don't have an RBS account then?

"The only way they go down entirely is if the UK is going down too. " Obviously NOT strictly true, need I remind you of Northern Rock too.

I think it's important that anybody with an RBS account checks this out. There is no reason why this gentleman should have his card declined, but added to this is that he cannot access his online banking and then he gets no response when he tries calling them.
First, it might not be a sign of the bank falling, and that this is indeed just a personal situation for him. But how would you feel if all normal channels of access to your money were closed to you including telephone with your bank.
What happens if this is something more serious and for whatever reason, eg it could be some sort of computer system down, then there are going to be an awful lot of woried people who tonight and tomorrow are going to find they cannot access their money.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
sounds like insolvency rumours to me

"they're at it again"

'lol'.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
EDIT;
I wasn't able to withdraw money all day, and tried to get on to online banking, and it kept telling me to 'try again later'
Had been saying the same thing since about 10am this morning.

JUST got onto banking for the first time today after many attempts.
Everything looks okay.
Have transferred a few pennies across to another account though... just in case.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Deplume because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

I wouldn't tell the internet what bank i'm with as a general point of principle.

In any event, a UK deposit account is guaranteed by the government up to £85,000. On top of that RBS has the additional feature of being mostly owned by the UK government after being bailed out in the last bank debacle.

My point is valid. Any scenario where you lose all your funds in an RBS account also requires the collapse of the UK government. Thats not impossible, but in that event we are all screwed anyway. Don't panic.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Oh my goodness...I am so sorry...this needs to get out....RBS need to be contacted and tell you people what is going on. This does not sound good at all. Did you think it was just a computer glich with the bank? Have you tried calling them?
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Phoning them up isn't working for me still, and I tried the cash machine down the road, and that keeps spitting the card out.
The number I have is supposed to be 24hr banking too.. So they aren't 'shut'
Nothing in the news about it, maybe they are just having system problems?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Just logged into rbs internet banking with no probs, and used my card in Tesco about 40 mins ago. All working just fine

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MissConstrood

Excellent news! All day computer glitch then by the sounds of it.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Neighbour confirmed.. cash machine down the road is on the blink. Keeps spitting out cards. Panic over..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Deplume

Now if somebody could just tell me how to change the headline or add to it "Panic Over"!

Amazing how quickly that situation got sorted here. Thank you every one.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by humphreysjim
They may have just blocked her card for some security reason. For example, this has happened to me before, and it was because I was using my card abroad, and the bank's frauds systems kicked in, and temporarily suspended the card for safety reasons.

I had the same happen to me because of a fraudulent charge while in Vegas this past month a charge from Yahoo mail, three charges to be exact which I don't use Yahoo. Chase and Yahoo had already picked up on the fradulent charge so I had the same results, account locked, reimbursed and I received a new card. So no bank run just yet, unless your friend is in Libya

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
According to a recent letter from my bank RBS we are supposed to be taken under the wing on Santander sometime soon. The letter is around here somewhere. Other half has just gotten some cash from some random atm half an hour ago.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

They're probably not answering phones because of the 31st aug ppi complaint deadline set by the Financial Ombudsman Service which they have struggled to meet and the resulting avalance of telephone enquiries as all the banks complaint departments are difficult to get through to this week

top topics

<<   2 >>

join