It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychic Ponders Randi's $1M Challenge

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
nz.entertainment.yahoo.com...

The challenge has been around for several years but now a Canadian psychic is considering taking on a $1m offer to prove her skills.

Toronto-based Nikki told CBS News she has faith in her abilities and would take the challenge, if she was available.

"I am the real thing so I don't have to worry about this stuff," Nikki said.

If you are unaware, James Randi has a million dollar challenge for various enthusiasts of the supernatural to prove themselves once and for all. Few people take the challenge even after agreeing to do so. Nobody has ever proven a single claim about the supernatural and claimed the prize.

So the "real thing" psychic considers taking the challenge. I'm no psychic but shouldn't she know through precognition whether she passes the test?

My personal psychic prediction: she refuses to take it. If she does and subsequently fails, within three days she'll begin declaring that the testing was rigged.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
She sounds like a nutter, she probably does belive herself.

Thing is if she fails, will she go that last bit over the edge and get put in a mental home?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i have seen into the future and she fails
now wheres my million bucks

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What if she does prove she is psychic and wins the million dollar reward?
My psychic abilities indicate that if she does in the next few days she will be reported missing

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
james randi test does not accept applicants who are proven . former remote viewer Ingo Swann , one of the best in world and use to work for CIA has applied for the test , but randi refuses to accept him

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
hahahaha! if this is the psycic im thinking of, shes always on a morning show for 102.1 the edge in toronto, so funny, they make fun of her so bad.

yupp!
102.1 the edge

edit on 2-9-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-9-2011 by OUNjahhryn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by USAisdevil
james randi test does not accept applicants who are proven

What supernatural abilities have been proven?

Can you provide a link to the peer-reviewed proof?

Thanks!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by traditionaldrummer

There is such a thing as Psychics. Maybe she is one of them.
Who knows?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

james randi test does not accept applicants who are proven . former remote viewer Ingo Swann , one of the best in world and use to work for CIA has applied for the test , but randi refuses to accept him

Nonsense, Randi would test anyone as long as a reasonable protocol can be arranged.

By the way, no one has "proven" supernatural powers, and while he worked for the CIA, his department was closed down due to lack of success. Ingo Swann is simply a con man, and a liar.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
There is such a thing as Psychics.

Sure there are.

The question is whether they have some supernatural abilities or not. So far it seems to be "not".

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Ill keep an eye on his website. He posts challenges and outlines protocols....the protocols is when things start to fall through, especially when the challenger realize how stringent they are and there will be no way to fudge the results, then they try to negotiate different ones. Should be interesting, and maybe the only one to win

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by humphreysjim

check Hal Puthoff and his experiments related to ingo swann. Secondly check the book psychotronic Golgotha written by russian scientist turned human rights activist

en.wikipedia.org...

www.skepticalinvestigations.org...

secondly its biophysics not supernatural powers. Crystals in the pineal gland can enable psychotronic phenomena

edit on 2-9-2011 by USAisdevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

Thank you.

It seems Swann failed more often than not and even at tests he suggested.

Also, he was evaluated by Randi and seems to have failed.

I'm not convinced Swann has demonstrated any extraordinary powers.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

again Randi did not ever test Ingo Swann . he made claims about ingo abilities on basis of secondary data . and Randi has no scientific training or understanding of physics .Randi dares to accuse physicists of fraud. speaks a lot about how credible Randi is.

-------------------------
The first thing I noticed was that Randi never gives any indication that Targ and Puthoff have any scientific credentials or accomplishments. The casual reader could be forgiven for assuming that they are not "real" scientists at all. For the record, Targ is a physicist credited with inventing the FM laser, the high-power gas-tranport laser, and the tunable plasma oscillator. Puthoff, also a physicist, invented the tunable infra-red laser and is widely known for his theoretical work on quantum vacuum states and the zero point field. (see The Field, by Lynne McTaggart, for an overview of Puthoff's work in quantum phyics.) If these two are "Laurel and Hardy," at least they come with good résumés. Randi, by contrast, has no scientific training.

Randi starts off by telling us how Targ and Puthoff took a professed psychic, Ingo Swann, to Stanford University, where, they said, Swann used his psychic abilities to affect the operation of a magnetometer. According to Randi, "the report was all wet." He knows this because he contacted Dr. Arthur Hebard, "the builder of the device, who was present and has excellent recollections of what took place." Hebard, Randi says disputes the Targ-Puthoff account. He is quoted as saying, "It's a lie. You can say it any way you want, but that's what I call a lie."

This is pretty compelling stuff. But is Randi's version of events accurate? Let's take a look.

First, he seems to make a rather basic error when he says that both Targ and Puthoff were present for this experiment. As best I can determine, Puthoff conducted the experiment, which took place in June, 1972, without Targ's assistance. Targ had met Puthoff prior to this time, but their work together apparently did not begin until a few months later.

-----

and randi makes all kinds of claims about reputed physicists.

----------

Randi's take on this series of experiments is withering. He skewers Targ and Puthoff as "bunglers." He reports that their experiments were conducted in a chaotic atmosphere conducive to cheating. He says that a hole in the wall of Geller's isolation room enabled him to spy on the scientists during their ESP experiments. He says that Targ and Puthoff falsified the results of the tests by omitting failed experiments that would have lowered Geller's averages to the level of chance. Further, he says that the scoring of Geller's performances was mishandled, generating higher scores than Geller deserved.

The question naturally arises: How does Randi know all this, since, as he admits, "I've never even set foot on the sacred grounds of SRI [Stanford Research Institute, where the experiments were conducted"? He explains that he was given inside information by "an individual" who claimed to represent dozens of SRI scientists. This group, which worked in secret and even adopted a code name (Broomhilda), passed the information to Randi.
---------

Randi never entered SRI and makes all kinds of claims?

again i repeat , Randi has never accepted Ingo to come for the challenge, he has rejected his application

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by USAisdevil

Well, I do know that "SRI" has a notoriously bad record (and is NOT a part of Stanford University). The "researchers" at SRI have been fooled by magicians posing as psychics a number of times.

And though many may find Randi's assessment incongruent with that of the "physicists" (same ones that got fooled my magicians?), it does show that Swann left enough doubt in his so-called proofs that even a layman could identify it.

Personally I just don't see the evidence supporting that Swann's alleged extraordinary abilities have been established. I can't say he wasn't "for real", only that he didn't appear to have left any conclusive evidence to prove his claims.
edit on 2-9-2011 by traditionaldrummer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

again I repeat James Randi has no scientific training or understanding of physics. and Randi has a track record of lieing.

Playfair writes, "[Randi] turned, in a later book, Flim-Flam, to the professional photographer who had made the film, a Stanford employee named Zev Pressman, with an extraordinary series of unfounded allegations.... "Pressman flatly denied all of Randi's allegations in two public statements, neither of which was even mentioned in the 1982 re-issue of the book. 'I made the film,' said Pressman, 'and my name appeared with my full knowledge and permission . . . Nothing was restaged or specially created . . . I have never met nor spoken to nor corresponded with Randi. The 'revelations' he attributes to me are pure fiction.'" It is true that no mention is made of these "two public statements" in Flim-Flam's 1982 edition - the edition I own. For corroborating testimony, I turned once again to the indefatigable Scott Rogo, who investigated this claim just as he had looked into Dr. Hebard's testimony and the infamous hole in the wall. Rogo writes, "I spoke directly with Mr Pressman on 5 January 1981 and he was quite interested when I told him about Randi's book. He denied that he had spoken to the magician. When I read him the section of Randi's book dealing with his alleged 'expose' of the Targ-Puthoff film, he became very vexed. He firmly backed up the authenticity of the film, told me how he had taken it on the spot, and labeled Randi's allegation as a total fabrication. [His own descriptive language was a little more colourful!]" Rogo also reports that Puthoff showed him Pressman's signed affidavit. How could Randi's conversation with Pressman be so different from Rogo's? The truth is, Randi does not appear to have had a conversation with Pressman at all. Take another look at the quote from Flim-Flam. The key words are: "Most damning of all, Pressman said to others at SRI ..."

"In case one thinks that it was just a case of our opinions vs. his opinions," Puthoff continues, "we chose for the list of incorrect points only those that could be independently verified. Examples: [Randi] said that in our Nature paper we verified Geller's metal-bending. Go to the paper, and you see that we said we were not able to obtain evidence for this. He said that a film of the Geller experiment made at SRI by famed photographer Zev Pressman was not made by him, but by us and we just put his name on it. We showed up with an affidavit by Pressman saying that indeed he did make the film."

There is no way for me to verify Puthoff's statement that he tape-recorded Randi's concession of defeat "on all the points." This has to stand as an unsupported assertion, just like Randi's own arguments. But it is possible to take a closer look at Puthoff's last two claims.

So what are the qualifications of Randi ? hes not a scientist..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by humphreysjim

check Hal Puthoff and his experiments related to ingo swann. Secondly check the book psychotronic Golgotha written by russian scientist turned human rights activist

en.wikipedia.org...

secondly its biophysics not supernatural powers. Crystals in the pineal gland can enable psychotronic phenomena

Puthoff is a credulous crackpot, and "crystals enabling psychotronic phenomena" sounds like a bunch of pseudo-science hogwash to me.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Randii refused to test me also. I said I would weigh (forfeit the million) in advance. I still have the rejection letter.

I simply wanted to be tested on influencing a random number generator at a distance.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OUNjahhryn

Wow...she pretty much struck out on all counts...not a very good psychic...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A true intuit will never reveal their abilities to the world, because they are without ego.

Nothing to prove to anyone.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join