It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police grab $2 million worth of cars after Canadian street race

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Wow, Cannonball Run.. I hope these aren't there parent's cars.. All seem to be under 21. I had a 1983 Corolla when I was 20.\
Story here from cnn

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is the part that causes concern for me:

That's because police didn't actually catch them in the act and acted only on witness accounts. They weren't caught on radar, video or seen by a police officer, Superintendent Norm Gaumont, RCMP officer in charge of traffic enforcement for the Lower Mainland, told the Surrey Now newspaper.

Police didn't catch them in the act, no radar or video surveillance and no police actually saw them do anything....only witnesses.

How is it ok to seize property and lay out fines based only on witnesses?

No court, no trial, no nothing.

Lesson of the day: If you don't like someone or agree with what they do, you now have the power of judge, jury and executioner.

edit on 2-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
So I guess if I can get together a group of my friends as the witnesses and stage a crime with no credible evidence the police have no other choice but to take lawful order onto the person whom we desired?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Here is a list of the cars

•2007 Ferrari 599
•2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
•2010 Lamborghini Gallardo
•2009 Lamborghini Gallardo
•2009 Audi R8
•2012 Nissan GT-R
•2010 Nissan GT-R
•2010 Nissan GT-R
•2010 Maserati Turismo
•2010 Maserati Turismo
•2011 Mercedes SL63
•2011 Mercedes SLS
•2005 Aston Martin DB9

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by atoptreetops
So I guess if I can get together a group of my friends as the witnesses and stage a crime with no credible evidence the police have no other choice but to take lawful order onto the person whom we desired?

I guess we have to watch who we cross because it looks like we can now be guilty without a trial based on what our neighbors say.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

"Each driver will be charged with Driving without Reasonable Consideration and receive a violation ticket with a specified penalty of $196. Additionally, these drivers will be responsible for all associated towing and storage charges," according to the RCMP press release.

I think they'll get their cars back but that this was more of a warning about don't go racing in public streets, and that is a message I condone of.

If you want to race, get your racing license and do it on a track where no innocent bystanders can't be hurt or on the one place in the world where you can max out your car, The German Autobahn.

Near where I live 2 people died by crashing into a tree recently because of illegal street racing, the place where it happened is less than six feet away from a road for cyclists, and I use that road regularly.

GM

Edit - This reaction at that website says it all;

RS II love media marketing! Take the attention grabbing headline , pull out the hype and you have the truth: "12 rich kids get speeding tickets". At least this helps answer the question of why more and more people don't trust the media.....

edit on 2-9-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
reply to post by jude11

"Each driver will be charged with Driving without Reasonable Consideration and receive a violation ticket with a specified penalty of $196. Additionally, these drivers will be responsible for all associated towing and storage charges," according to the RCMP press release.

I think they'll get their cars back but that this was more of a warning about don't go racing in public streets, and that is a message I condone of.

If you want to race, get your racing license and do it on a track where no innocent bystanders can't be hurt or on the one place in the world where you can max out your car, The German Autobahn.

Near where I live 2 people died by crashing into a tree recently because of illegal street racing, the place where it happened is less than six feet away from a road for cyclists, and I use that road regularly.

GM

Edit - This reaction at that website says it all;

RS II love media marketing! Take the attention grabbing headline , pull out the hype and you have the truth: "12 rich kids get speeding tickets". At least this helps answer the question of why more and more people don't trust the media.....

edit on 2-9-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

I understand the warning and yes I agree it is dangerous but my point is that they were found guilty on the spot based solely on "witnesses".

No officer caught them, no radar and no video. Just "He said-She said" evidence.

This isn't what we want as a course of law because if the offense were more serious, what next? Imprisonment?

Because someone said something and that's good enough so we don't need a trial?

This is possible based on the incident.

edit on 2-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

So? when someone breaks into your house when you aren't at home, your neighbour calls the police, but the police is just too late, they find the burgles and they can't find anything that proves the argument of your neighbour call, does that make the call of your neighbour invalid? even if he would be alone as witness against several burglars?

In this case there were multiple witnesses, Imagine in the both example that several of your neighbours witnessed the burglary.

Police in British Columbia say they impounded $2 million worth of high-end vehicles this week after witnesses reported the 13 cars racing on a metro Vancouver highway at speeds of 125 mph (200 kph).

What would you do as a police officer, believe the witnesses, or the suspects?

I still think they made the right call this time.

GM

edit on 2-9-2011 by Grey Magic because: Edited to add the not at home situation to the burglary example, missed it.

new topics

top topics

join