It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PeerBlock: Do I need it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
OK, I'm not especially paranoid. However I have seen this program recommended and am considering using it. Here is the blurb.

PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries! They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.

And best of all, it's free!
Source: www.peerblock.com...

I need information from some of you IT/net tecchies. If I am already using a good firewall (I can U2U which one but not broadcasting it) do I need this kind of protection?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

You'll really only want something like this in the event that you're doing semi-questionable things online (torrent downloads of copyrighted material and the like, as far as I'm aware). Even then, Peerblock is not perfect as new IPs, etc., can alway be out there keeping tabs on things.

However, every little bit helps, so Peerblock definitely can only help and not hurt, in my opinion. Since you say you're not all that paranoid, I wouldn't worry about it unless your in the downloading realm and dealing with things you haven't paid for but would have to otherwise.

PS - Yes, I run Peerblock sometimes
It's also interesting to see the various entities trying to reach out and touch you as it displays the IPs.

edit on 9/2/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The basic reason for using it is to keep computers from collecting information about your system and browsing behavior. There are many groups, some legitimate some not so legitimate that will collect your browsing history and sell it or use it for devious purposes. Most people (like myself) use such programs to keep ISP's from being able to track downloading copyrighted materials. It is useful from both a security and privacy standpoint and a simple firewall will not provide the same sort of protection in most cases. I use it on my personal computer and have not been shut down by my ISP since like I have before for downloading copyrighted materials. In short its not a bad idea to run PeerBlock or a similar program. Better safe than sorry right?

lZEROl

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I guess I might be a little paranoid or I wouldn't be asking.

I think I will run it to see who's been giving me the eye. Is there a simple way to get information on an IP?

reply to post by lZEROl

Are you saying that firewalls only protect specific ports and if a port is open then any IP can access your system?

To both of you. Although I used to big on the filesharing scene (emule and Shareaza), those days are behind me. However I still access some stuff without paying and also have other reasons for wanting to stop spying so think this is a move for me.

Does anyone have a good reason for me not to use this program?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   

I think I will run it to see who's been giving me the eye. Is there a simple way to get information on an IP?

Well, Peerblock itself will show the name of who owns the IP that's trying to connect (you'll see a lot of school names pops up, some government agencies, etc.), but otherwise I guess you'd probably have to check whois.com or related sites to further look into IP details...not anything I'm too familiar with, I just get a kick out of seeing all the attempted connections on Peerblock itself.

Take care, and be safe out there.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Peerblock basically loads lists of IP addresses that you download from the web and then blocks those addresses, you can choose different lists, for example one list contains all government ip's another will contain anti piracy companies etc etc The lists are kept up to date by groups that work for free.

Now there is a problem with that of course which is that if a government agency or anyone want to get around peerblock they can see all of the IP's on that list just by downloading it and use an address that isn't on there.

If you have peerblock on while using skype you will get some VERY surprising people accessing your computer, lots of gvmnt ip's from different countries as skype uses p2p technology to work so other people messages are being routed through your connection.

Peerblock might actually make you more paranoid I think

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Firewalls block ports, but some ports are required to be opened for internet browsing and various other activities. Peerblock will keep a known list of IP addresses from communicating with your computer on such ports.

Dependant on you firewall rules and exceptions some ports may be turned on or turned off except for certain applications. Its possible to setup custom firewall rules that only allow certain IP's and you can even go a step further and only accept packets from IPs that you have sent a packet to first.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by lZEROl
Dependant on you firewall rules and exceptions some ports may be turned on or turned off except for certain applications. Its possible to setup custom firewall rules that only allow certain IP's and you can even go a step further and only accept packets from IPs that you have sent a packet to first.
It sounds simpler to use PeerBlock than that rigmarole. Can I choose to block an IP I select with PeerBlock?
edit on 2/9/11 by Pimander because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Yes you can make your own custom lists if you like

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
My advice: Use PeerGuardian. I highly recommend that program, although, I'm sure peerblock would probably be ok to use. I just know the prog I use, updates their lists OFTEN.

There are many IPs that try to connect and read you regardless of whether you are dl'ing torrents or on a p2p....You can never be TOO safe... So yeah , my advice, protect yourself

ETA after reading next post: With peerGuardian, if a trusted site is blocked, all you have to do is click to allow it . PG is pretty much on the ball with their lists though. ..
edit on 2-9-2011 by SeekerLou because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Been through this a million times back in my days as a file sharing admin. Its quite simple, "they" use domestic ips. Once upon a time there were server farms who's role was to distribute fake files while logging all connections from clients.

Cue blocklists. Users would submit bad ip blocks and once verified these blocks would be added to various blacklists, usually maintained by folks such as BiSS. Problem is that once a block was established it was rarely removed and once these ips were reassigned the block would remain even if they could now be considered "legitimate" peers.

The industry clocked on to the use of these blocklists and started data gathering from ips assigned to domestic users. It was practically impossible to distinguish a good peer from a bad one and to this day that remains the case. To cut a long story short, they are about as useful as a chocolate tea pot.

posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerLou

Just a note here... "Peerblock" is "Peerguardian", im am not sure why although i recall some time ago being notified that they had changed the name of the software when it said there was a newer version available to download.

So far as the program itself goes, it works very well and I have it installed on numerous systems that i maintain.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by imtheweasel
reply to post by SeekerLou

Aha..but of course, thank you.

I still use Pg2 and so far it is still being maintained
Had forgotten about the new

So.... THank you for the info-reminder! I'll definitely be updating soon..it's only a matter of time before they stop the updates on the peerguardian one..

I see you like it too: Gr8!
Again, ppreciate ya! I'll be getting the Peerblock soon!

posted on Dec, 2 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Using a program to block ips doesn't make that program a panacea of the whole thing here
because it is not the program itself to block the ip but the ipfilter loaded by it .
So the core of the protection is only and exclusively the ipfilter .
That's why I use only a real ipfilter , very updated and with a fine support :

p2pblocklist.net...

and form what I found on the net and by talking with its creators these guys are the people up in the days
to discover and promote the use of ip filtering .

top topics

join