Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Los Angeles Artist Alex Schaefer's Painting Of A Burning Bank Brings Visit From LAPD

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Look at all the free publicity (Alex Schaefer) got. He scored!...I certainly don't feel sorry for him.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

But that's Cali, not America.

Everyone knows they're retarded compared to the rest of the country.
edit on 2-9-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I’m going to try and make this short because if I get carried away with all my feelings this post will be the length of War and Peace.

1st let me say as a LEO with as much experience as many of you have been alive, this action is wrong on so many levels.

The police are doing their jobs and probably are thinking “here we go again investigating another BS complaint. As far as the plain clothes detectives go, I am sure they are following Department policy. (CYA) This man has every right to do what he is doing.

2nd My problem with this incident is not the police but our society which requires the police to conduct these kind of BS investigations. For god’s sake what is wrong with the bank manager putting his loafers on (he’s probably light in them anyhow) and walking across the street and talking to this guy. WHY WHY WHY does the general public request others to fight their battles. Men are being demasculated. We need to stand up and take care of our own and not rely on Govt representatives to do it for us. If the public finds this kind investigation good or for there safety or to say something really stupid such as “well if he has done nothing wrong then he has nothing to fear” then you deserve to loose all your freedoms and serve no useful function in our society.

Our freedoms are being trampled upon due to the weak the fearful and the high maintenance men (if you can call these males that) and women in our society.

What is disgusting is not the actions of the police but the inactions of the complainants.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Im confused as to why mods even keep threads like this up. There is literally NO conspiracy behind this and really no reason to believe so.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
my personal take on this story is that the cops are obligated to respond to any complaint, so I can't very well classify the incident as police harassment. Sure, the person that called the police overreacted. However, I must say, I would probably feel a bit nervous going into that bank knowing there is a strange guy sitting outside painting the bank going up in flames. There are just too many crazies in this world for it to not throw up a caution flag.

I suppose that the bigger picture here is that the artist was not arrested; therefore, no big deal.

I do'nt have the article, because I heard it from someone, but the're cutting police budget in LA, and they will no longer respond to burglary alarms, car accidents, and some sort of domestic dispute?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Now I've got "Dream Police" stuck in my head.

Cops investigating, I've got no problem with. I do hae a problem with harassment, which this guy pretty well aborted the chance of that happening by making himself too public a figure while doing his best to remain innocent in behavior.

I did notice the other link about the photographers being detained for their pictures having no artistic value when taking pictures of a refinary. I think the key is of a refinary--you loiter around a refinary, the po-po is going to check you out, at the least.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I liked this part:

"They asked if I was a terrorist and was I going to follow through and do what I was painting."

Sounds to me like the cops weren't taking this seriously and were making fun of whoever made the complaint.

Nope, as ridiculous as it sounds, back in school some of my classmates went to the US for a year and were asked a similar question in a form they had to fill out...
Someting like 'Do you plan any terrorist activities in the US?' or so.

We were always joking, that, if you answered yes, you'd get a list with ugly buildings alongside your visa.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
They were probably only responding to a stupid complaint but it still wasn't really needed - time of waste and sources.

It was a good painting but it doesn't mean he was showing any intent to go and burn a bank.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Did they really ask if he was a "terrorist"? My oh my, we're still floating about in 2001 aren't we?

Last I checked, if you set fire to a building, you were an arsonist. I hardly think burning down a Chase bank would "terrorize" the populace. In fact, they'd probably like it a bit. Something to think about.

Terrorist. Yea, good luck with that.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Two words.

Publicity Stunt.

I know people on ATS can see through this, Right?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Why is potential arson now classified as terrorism? It seems like terrorism is now any domestic crime targeted at a corporation or government. Previous to 9/11 this was referred to as arson, not terrorism. I wish the cops would use some common sense when approaching citizens. I bet if a called and reported the makers of Grand Theft Auto as making threats against police officer, the police would do nothing. But a guy painting a picture, is now suspect. We live in a backwards world.

It does sound like nobody was arrested here, and for this I commend the police for not overreacting.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Sir are you planning to burn down the bank? Well der gee officer I was planning just that but thought it would be fun to paint this here picture of it first...

IDIOTS!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by SyphonX
Did they really ask if he was a "terrorist"? My oh my, we're still floating about in 2001 aren't we?

Last I checked, if you set fire to a building, you were an arsonist. I hardly think burning down a Chase bank would "terrorize" the populace. In fact, they'd probably like it a bit. Something to think about.

Terrorist. Yea, good luck with that.

Spot on brother. The true charge is arson.

Damn its good to know that some people still think.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Ya never know....could have been a publicity stunt. Perhaps the artist called to report himself as 'suspicious' while he was painting it, knowing he'd at the very least be questioned by the police. In face it seems like an Idea I might come up with myself if I were a painter!

Actually that's not too far fetched....the band Negativeland heard about this kid that murdered his parents with an ax and decided to piggy back onto the story by claiming they were under investigation because the kid had supposedly done the multiple murder because he had gotten into an arguement with his parents, who didn't want him listening to a particular Negativeland song.

Of course in reality they had no connection to the story whatsoever....but the media ate it up, and gave them free publicity, as well as giving them an excuse to cancel their tour dates (which they needed to do anyway for lack of funds) because they were under 'investigation'!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   
With that hat, I'm not surprised someone called the cops.

Great painting though, and some good exposure for the artist if nothing else.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

thats a damn cool painting reminds me of somethin youd see on the cover some 80s punk album like dead kennedies or somethin. The 5-O coming thinking hes a terrorist is rediculous haha.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
I think that art speaks a million words because the pen is mightier than the sword, and the banks have a guilty conscience, unfortunately for the artist , he let them know who painted it and if they choose to burn their bank hes first in line in interrogation

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Welcome to the police state, comrades! See you in the gulags.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I personally would enjoy sitting on the curb with a full pack of cigarettes getting to know this guy. However, the majority of ATS is far from normal (self included) and I could very easily see how someone could get riled up by a painting such as this.

Remember... Most people believe 9/11 was done by terrorists (or Saddam).

Most people have been conditioned to be paranoid and fearful of anything resembling traces of terrorism.

Based on my own observations, the majority of the ATS population are intuitive and greatly misunderstood by society.

In the eyes of society, you are wrong, weird, paranoid, crazy, but likely a genius. Just smile, nod, and walk away.
edit on 3-9-2011 by NewWorldDisorder because: Your reason for the edit (must be filled out):

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Chances are, the ones that called the cops were the banks themselves. But then again, people will call cops for any sign of "threat" these days

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join