It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Los Angeles Artist Alex Schaefer's Painting Of A Burning Bank Brings Visit From LAPD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Los Angeles Artist Alex Schaefer's Painting Of A Burning Bank Brings Visit From LAPD

Los Angeles-based artist Alex Schaefer, 41, recently learned just how problematic it can be to have your work misinterpreted. A painting of his, which depicted a Chase Bank on fire and was “was intended to be a visual metaphor for the havoc that banking practices have caused to the economy,” according to the LA Times, has prompted a police investigation.

It all started when Schaefer was painting in front of a Chase Bank when the police rolled up and 'told [him] that somebody had called and said they felt threatened by my painting. They said they had to find out my intention. They asked if I was a terrorist and was I going to follow through and do what I was painting."

This would almost be funny if it didn't serve as evidence of how thoroughly we have devolved into a Banana Republic and become a parody of ourselves. :shk:
edit on 2-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
He's very good. Looks like the real thing. Maybe that particular bank peeved him the wrong way.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
my personal take on this story is that the cops are obligated to respond to any complaint, so I can't very well classify the incident as police harassment. Sure, the person that called the police overreacted. However, I must say, I would probably feel a bit nervous going into that bank knowing there is a strange guy sitting outside painting the bank going up in flames. There are just too many crazies in this world for it to not throw up a caution flag.

I suppose that the bigger picture here is that the artist was not arrested; therefore, no big deal.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

In an odd way, the authorities have done this artist a BIG favor. Now his work will be known in a way most artists dream.

While I imagine he might enjoy the result, I doubt he liked the means.

edit on 2-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

What a fearful, thin-skinned and small minded culture our nation has become.

If those who lived through so many eras had been anything like those of today, we would have never even made a run at independence, much less succeeded in a revolution. We would have never overcome a civil war, a great depression or two world wars.

Hows does a country like ours fall so far?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Aggie Man

In an odd way, the authorities have done this artist a BIG favor.

Now his work is known in a way most artists desire.

I was thinking the same thing. In fact, I suspect that the artist knew very well that his actions would draw a visit from police and that it would be a good way to get his name out there.

Keep an eye out for the "Burning Bank" collection, coming to a gallery near you.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I don't see any logical reason to call the cops on a guy who is painting. When did painting become a crime? How can a person get so worked up over the painting that he/she calls the pigs in?

They have worked the propaganda machine well, it would seem. Paint a metaphorical statement and get a visit from the frakking pigs. All because some ignorant fool freaked out. Over a painting.

How sad we have become. Besides, what he depicted is what we really SHOULD be doing, metaphorically or not. The banks need top go down hard. I feel sorry for the person who called the pigs in on this, what a ignorant and brainwashed fool.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Originally posted by redoubt
What a fearful, thin-skinned and small minded culture our nation has become.

Hows does a country like ours fall so far?

Completely agree.

I have been asking that question for years.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
IS it just me or does the actual pic of the real bank in the background look like a drawing and not a real pic? The building to the left looks real just the bank looks different lol. And why couldn't the person who was worried just have walked up to him and asked what the intent was instead of calling the police to do the same?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm going to get a t-shirt that just says "thinking bad thoughts" and see how long it takes for the paranoia laden moron mass to get me harassed or detained.

Why do I have to share my only life with such stupid people? And for the love of Pete why the hell do such stupid people have so much clout?

There was a group who were arrested during Irene for rafting. They were charged, no lie, with having no common sense. Shouldnt that same excuse be used to confront the idiot who called the cops to report a painter?

Or, maybe he called on himself for that popularity boost? Wouldnt put it past anyone to do that sort of thing.
edit on 2-9-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

And why couldn't the person who was worried just have walked up to him and asked what the intent was instead of calling the police to do the same?

Oh no no no, that's not possible, according to the Nanny State propaganda. We American citizens are not capable of rational thinking anymore so we need to get the government involved in every little detail. Having a rational conversation, asking the guy what's up, would go against all the programming and is not to be tolerated. By the Gods, man, can't you see in the picture how obvious it is that this guy is a evil terrist committing thought crimes?

Can't have them types around, painting pictures. Rabble rousers like him should be imprisoned and tortured, don't ya know?

Doubleplusungood.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
What is with this art policing? How are they going to investigate this anyway? Ridicilous.
Long Beach Police Trained To Detain Photogs Not Producing Photos of "Esthetic Value"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I liked this part:

"They asked if I was a terrorist and was I going to follow through and do what I was painting."

Sounds to me like the cops weren't taking this seriously and were making fun of whoever made the complaint.

This "if you see something, say something" BS is getting ridiculous. They've got people looking over their shoulders every minute, petrified that there's a terrorist lurking somewhere.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The real question would be what would the authorities do if the bank does burn?

Perhaps this artist is slightly psychic and is expressing an internal prophetic vision. Would the artist be charged with arson?

We really do live in a ridiculous world and I do hope whomever the person was that "felt threatened" calls the cops on the Obama Administration for threatening to steal SSI from the older folks, a more legitimate reason if you ask me!

I seriously hope the building burns now! I wonder if it does burn if they will come 500 miles away because of me saying that? LOL Burn baby burn!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Working for law enforcement, i can see the two sides.

One, you can never be too careful of people's intentions because let's face it, we really don't know what someone is capable until they snap. That guy looks like he's very sweet and nice but none of us personally know him.

However, the guy does have the freedom to paint something in the street as long as he is not causing any public nuisance (which i believe someone must have though he was a nuisance). He wasn't screaming or attacking anyone, just minding his own business painting. With that cute hat on his head.

My guess is that this was in a $$$$ area where these kind of calls tend to happen. If this was in South Central, Compton, etc. i'm sure there would have been no call made to the police.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
not surprised. today, the average person sees a gun, and flips out thinking you're a shooter about to go on a massacre. it's pathetic.

from the way people are fearful, you'd think hundreds of buildings have been bombed and shooters are hiding in every bush.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoony
I don't see any logical reason to call the cops on a guy who is painting.

The only one I can think of is that it was the bank that called, and the bankers have a lot of influence over the police.

The officers had Schaefer fill out a form, and he thought that was the end of it. On Tuesday, however, two plainclothes detectives showed up to his house and asked "Do you hate banks? Do you plan to do that to the bank?"

Seems a bit weird for detectives to follow something like this up later. As the artist said to the first cops, if he was planning to do this to a bank he wouldn't be on a public sidewalk painting his intended target.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Nice painting.
Here's a utube of him.

And a link to an Art Gallery.
fredericsterngallery.com...

edit on 2-9-2011 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
It is no longer coming,....it is here!
We live in a police state people.
The longer we keep saying "it's coming" the longer they are getting away with actually doing it.
It isn't coming....IT'S HERE!!!

We are not free!
We are free to what the God Damned government tells us to do,
but we are not free!!!
When a guy can't even paint a damn painting without being harassed by the local gestapo, when a man is facing Life in prison for taping a public servant, then we have arrived.
Welcome!

Welcome to AmeriKa.
You are free to do as you are told.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Haha good one, seems I forgot the new rules again.
I am sure the thought police will be here promptly to realign my thoughts for me!! I guess I will be having to take those pills again as well. And another trip to the camp for me, damn and I was doing so good.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join