It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MLK Monument Statue's Quote is Inaccurate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Martin Luther King Memorial statue criticized by Maya Angelou and others (video)

www.examiner.com

There is much heart-felt criticism of the quote on Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s monument.

The quote beneath a stern-looking Dr. King says:

I was a drum major for justice, peace and righteousness.

The actual quote given by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. in a sermon was:

If you want to say that I was a drum major, say that I was a drum major for justice, say that I was a drum major for peace. I was a drum major for righteousness. And all of the other shallow things will not matt
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Breaking Alternative News Guidelines -- Copy the Exact Headline
edit on 9/2/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/2/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This monument was reported to have been at least ten years in the making, involving many people. How is it that the misquote was allowed to happen? Besides a misquote that makes MLK sound arrogant - which he wasn't - there is much controversy now about the monument being made by the Chinese with Chinese materials and artists when there are so many Americans and American materials readily available. Is there anything Washington, D.C. can do right anymore?

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 2-9-2011 by ChicagOpinion because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/2/2011 by semperfortis because: Fixed Links

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   
I live practically across the street from this monument. People are very upset here in DC.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ChicagOpinion

Lowest bidder syndrome?

If they used anything, it should have been this quote that goes above and beyond...

“I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will
have the final word in reality."

-Martin Luther King Jr.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Americanist

Lowest bidder syndrome?

If they used anything, it should have been this quote that goes above and beyond...

-Martin Luther King Jr.

I am inclined to agree except I must suggest that 'lowest bidder' may not be the cause of the misquote... instead it's the idea that MLK'S statement needed to be "dumbed down."

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
My goodness, I swear, some of you people are just way too sentimental on things.
Will the monument matter if the Earthquake sucks it down in the ground? Like the other week? Or, a Hurricane knocking it over?

Really, that is like the most important thing in your life right now?

Aye..Aye.. The insanity of this world.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
My goodness, I swear, some of you people are just way too sentimental on things.
Will the monument matter if the Earthquake sucks it down in the ground? Like the other week? Or, a Hurricane knocking it over?

Really, that is like the most important thing in your life right now?

Aye..Aye.. The insanity of this world.

What an odd post.
So the "truth" doesn't matter because the words may not be visible tomorrow?

Is that what you're saying?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

yep, move from the past, get over it already. Live for today and prepare for your future.

That monument won't mean nothing in your future. Just a decoration. That's all it is.

Just like my gravestone is a decoration. Be surprised if I can even afford that.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

There's always the choice of cremation... Oh, and be very cautious of double negatives in the next life.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The statue is quite frankly horrible and although Martin Luther King wasn't perfect, he certainly deserves something better. The statue looks like something from the Soviet Union. Not to mention the fact that it was done by (if I remember correctly) a Chinese architect as apparently there wern't any suitably qualified black architects. Perhaps it didn't have to have been done by a black architect but it would have been fitting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Lowest bidder syndrome?

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Yea I like that better, I don't like the other quote at all.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I agree that is a far better quote than the one they chose. Infact there are a wealth of poignant and thoughtful MLK quotes which are far superior to one which was chosen.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It says exactly what "THEY" want it to say.

The whole place is designed to be experienced, like a temple.
It even has pillars of running water and a bay to reflect upon.

The next one they commission will be made of everyone's guns and weapons which they will melt down into one giant statue.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Manhater

Oh, and be very cautious of double negatives in the next life.

lol, What do you mean by that? Never heard that one before.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well considering this statue was made in china, we're lucky that quote is in english, and with correct spelling. i'd bet there is a little silver made in china sticker on there somewhere.

Im sure it will fall apart in a few years, considering all the crap that china pumps out is just that, crap.

because we dont make anything in america anymore.

top topics

join