It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The sports facilities are the detention/relocation camps..." ?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Trevor Paglen - Six Landscapes

"Secret Prisons, CIA Fronts, Spy Sattelites, Black Projects -- Oh My!"

Although people around the world are becoming increasingly aware of the United States' global geography of surveillance, covert action, and other secret programs, much of this landscape is invisible in our everyday lives.

The drone war, for example, seems to happen “somewhere else” while surveillance programs take place among the (largely) invisible infrastructures and digital protocols of the internet and other communications networks. Moreover, the state agencies responsible for secret programs strive to make them as invisible as possible.

In this talk, artist Trevor Paglen discusses his work attempting to “see” the various aspects of the secret state. In examples ranging from tracking spy satellites to foraging through the bureaucratic refuse of CIA front companies, Paglen will discuss methods used to identify and exploit structural contradictions in classified programs which render them visible, and comment on the aesthetics and politics of attempting to “see” secrecy.

I just made it a bit past the 19 minute mark where he starts talking about a front company/private airline ("SportsFlight USA") that caters to sports teams and the CIA.

Rendition flights and all that stuff, plus sports teams.

Could be nothing, but I'm paranoid, so...
edit on 20-1-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Papago Park POW Camp

Papago Park POW Camp

So what is left of the most famous World War 2 POW camp in America? Remember, we are talking of a place where over 2,000 people lived in hundreds of building over an area of almost 1 square mile just 60 years ago (Notes: both the total number of prisoners and/or largest quantity at any one time vary considerably according to the source. I have seen these estimates: 1,700, 2,500, 3,600, 4,000 and 5,000).

The answer is: Not much, not much at all...

This map is the reason for this page. It shows the POW Camp superimposed over a modern aerial photograph of the area. I am proud of this map! (Note: It is a large image!)
I was sure there would be more remains if one knew where to look. The problem was to determine where the camp was actually situated. So I took a copy of the 1945 blueprint at the Elks Club, traced the outlines of about 250 buildings, and the roads and wire fences and came up with the image you see here (or will see if you click on the thumbnail icon at left). This is the only true representation of the POW camp as situated in reference to the neighborhood area as it is in 2005. So we have the blueprint superimposed over an image of the Papago Park area downloaded from Google Earth. Finally, I had an idea where all of the camp buildings were situated. Adjusting the sizes of the two images, things lined up quite nicely using the Officers Club and the canal as reference points. The position of the single remaining guard tower (indicated with an (A) on the map) matched perfectly, and the alignment of the City of Phoenix water tank was close. At last I had an idea of where things were. Quickly it became apparent that most buildings were torn down to build the Hyview Neighborhood just east of 64th Street in the 1960s. There is no chance of finding anything there. The Camp Pima compound area is now a big commercial area occupied by Blood Systems Inc, also known as UBS - United Blood Services. Nothing is there, at least on top of the pavement...

imgur.com...

just found it interesting

posted on Jan, 26 2014 @ 04:38 AM
link   
edit on 26-1-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2014 @ 03:44 AM
link   

maps.google.com...

here's the area described in the post - 39.103789,-77.554207

And here's the Loudoun County Adult Detention Center - 39.075193,-77.544701

Mixed right into a big sports complex/airport along with the county magistrate, Loudoun Transitional Housing, Loudoun County Youth Shelter, Loudoun County Juvenile Detention Center, Loudoun County Department of Information Technology, the big bus depot, and the Loudoun County Civil Defense...

interesting to me at least

I saw this story going around yesterday and thought of that place
FEMA Preparing For “Motor Coach Evacuation of the General Population”

Also...

Almost 1 million displaced Syrians facing extreme hardship in Jaramana

Jan 27, 2014

(Jaramana, Syria) - On the bleachers of the municipal stadium in the Damascus suburb of Jaramana, families sit and wait; not to see their teams compete in a football match, but for the chance to enter their names on the aid register.

Alongside the al-Nour mosque, the stadium is one of the centers where displaced people are registered and can find shelter in Jaramana.

Both places attest to the severity of the crisis facing those displaced from their towns in the Damascus countryside, a crisis that continues to worsen as fighting between government and opposition forces persists amid an especially harsh winter.

There are now about 900,000 displaced persons in Jaramana, according to a relief worker. They are scattered between houses, schools and half-finished buildings, which alone house around 200 families.

A volunteer for the Relief Committee, a civil-society volunteer organization working alongside the Red Crescent, explains that the crisis is far from over.

“The displacement is daily and constant, which we know from the number of new families that come to us for help,” he said, adding that most of the displaced people who arrived in November were from eastern Ghouta in Damascus.

The fighting between the army on one side, backed by the National Defense Forces and Hezbollah, and the armed opposition on the other has intensified in eastern Ghouta in recent months.

The Red Crescent volunteers working at the Jaramana municipal stadium divide up the displaced families by region of origin.

Juhayna, 52, from Ghouta, explains the aid process while waiting in line for her turn.

“It’s enough to bring one’s ID card or family registration booklet so that they can record our names and assign us a number,” she said. “After three months, the Red Crescent calls us to tell us that we’ve been granted an assistance package.”

According to Juhayna, the package comprises a food basket that contains, among other things, a sack of bulgur wheat, a sack of rice and some oil, as well as mattresses, blankets and winter clothing.

A Red Crescent volunteer, who wished to remain anonymous, said that there’s no way around the three-month waiting period.

“There are channels and rules we must abide by,” he explained. “All the displaced are suffering equally difficult circumstances, so we can’t help one at the expense of another.”

As for those families who fled under duress, leaving behind their identity cards, the volunteer explained that they are not eligible for aid from the Red Crescent, which requires proper identification, and they must instead go to the Relief Committee for help.

A large number of the displaced come to the relief centers to register and then return to the shelters they’ve managed to find in Jaramana and its surrounds.

The rest, around 68 families at the time of writing in early December, live in rooms that were once administrative offices at the stadium itself, rather than in tents, which despite the overcrowding helps mitigate some of the difficulties posed by rainy weather.

Umaima, 33, from Ghouta, complained about the overcrowding of what space was available at the stadium.

“There are three families in every room; the men are on one side and the women on the other,” she said.

One of the administrators of the Relief Committee explained this overcrowding, saying that sometimes unexpected waves of displaced families arrive all at once.

“Due to pressure, we’re then forced to place new families amongst the others,” he said.

On the pitch, under a small umbrella protecting him from the rain, 40-year-old Issam tries to light a fire in order to cook a meal for his family who live in one of the rooms at the stadium. They were displaced from al-Hajar al-Aswad, south of Damascus.

“We’re making lentils and bulgur today,” said Issam.

He complains of the lack of essentials for the children, such as milk and medicine.

“It’s cold, and most of the children are ill,” he said. “The overcrowding in the rooms means that illnesses are easily passed on and the colds are constant, which makes everything much more difficult.”

The displaced at the stadium have also been suffering from a lack of heating, which depends on electricity. Power cuts of at least four hours a day mean they must huddle on their mattresses under blankets for warmth.

from the fortress/Forward Operating Base perspective...

www.cambodiadaily.com...

January 15, 2014

Also present outside the courthouse were the now familiar young men in civilian dress and motorcycle helmets—who usually carry steel bars and batons—who have used violence against several peaceful protests in the city since the disputed results of July’s national election. A group of about two-dozen of the heavies, all wearing matching black-and-silver motorcycle helmets, formed a line opposite the courthouse, but were withdrawn to nearby Olympic Stadium shortly before 9:30 a.m. to jeers from the growing crowd of opposition supporters. Just out of sight of the demonstrators, 13 military trucks, along with hundreds of military police, were stationed inside Olympic Stadium, across the street from the court...

posted on Feb, 1 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
my computer went haywire/crashed a little bit ago. I really hope it was just a result of the shady forum I saw these on. I'll have to try from the library tomorrow if I want to actually talk about what I'm posting...

^that one came from a flickr album with a few more, but I can't get a link to it to work

www.youtube.com...

Are they expecting something bad to happen and preparing for it?

Just a show of force?

Acclimatization/desensitization?
edit on 1-2-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

edit on 2-2-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
thread; Martial Law, happening NOW!

WonderBoi
Not sure how many people are watching the Super Bowl, this year; but what people in America should be watching, are the events unfolding, around them.
Is this what America calls, "Freedom"? If that's not the set-up for Martial Law, i'm really not sure, what is? Is this the beginning of what many have seen coming? A practice run, for the real thing? Something more sinister?

related;

All Aboard! Next stop, Police-State and Groping!

beezzer
Apparently, when no-one was looking, America wussed out and became a police state.

Call it a rant, call it an observation, but America has "sissied-out".

SECAUCUS, N.J. - Fans headed to the Super Bowl will have to travel light even to get on a train headed to the game.

The Transportation Security Administration says that fans will not be allowed on the one rail line that serves MetLife Stadium on Sunday unless they show their ticket to the game and demonstrate that they don't have bags bigger than clutches. They can carry clear plastic bags, too.

The security detail will be set up at Secaucus Junction Station, the start of NJ Transit's 6.8-mile Meadowlands line to the stadium in East Rutherford.

www.newsday.com...

edit on 3-2-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

Is it true there was a "huge explosion" in Hell's Kitchen in NYC tonight and they are taking people back to the metlife stadium because of train/traffic snarls?

I was hoping someone would post something on this on ATS - it's usually the best place to find local people posting things like this -

But, I'm having problems with the internet acting quite wonky trying to find more info about this subject right now.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
^ I saw that too; stuff about people being told to go back to the stadium due to "congestion"

I couldn't find any good articles about the stadium aspect of it though.

Russia Blocks Several Activists From Olympics, Even as Spectators

The Olympic passport, actually an identification badge that fans wear on lanyards, is one of several security precautions the Russian authorities have devised to minimize the risk of a terrorist attack at the Games, which start Friday.

The others include chips allowing the authorities to electronically track attendees, and are part of an electronic security effort here so elaborate that the State Department has recommended that fans take the batteries out of their cellphones, which could become locating beacons or bugging devices in the hands of the authorities.

there's ABSOLUTELY something fishy going on here, with the state department warning people about their cell phones...

All the security stuff they're criticizing russia for right now happens at every other olympics/major sports event in the US and UK.

Former Salt Lake Mayor: NSA's Olympics Spying 'Scandal of the Century' + the 2012 london olympics and all the other craziness throughout this thread

Will they warn people at the AT&T or Qualcomm stadiums about cellphone tracking? Will they make a big deal about cities being transformed into corporate big brother ghettos in the US and UK from now on? Will they criticize the social cleansing/human rights abuses/slavery at other events? No. Why not? Why exactly is our media making such a big negative deal about russia's olympics this year?

posted on Feb, 6 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

there's ABSOLUTELY something fishy going on here, with the state department warning people about their cell phones...

All the security stuff they're criticizing russia for right now happens at every other olympics/major sports event in the US and UK.

Former Salt Lake Mayor: NSA's Olympics Spying 'Scandal of the Century' + the 2012 london olympics and all the other craziness throughout this thread

Will they warn people at the AT&T or Qualcomm stadiums about cellphone tracking? ...

"NBC: All Visitors to Sochi Olympics Immediately Hacked "

Just listen to the warning he gives starting at about 3:14, about not bringing your phone if you don't really need it, or deleting anything sensitive.

we're witnessing something weird here. Is this just anti-russia propaganda, or some sort of creepy coverup/soft rollout/whitewash?

posted on Feb, 10 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
sports complex

38.730929,-82.97611

Ohio National Guard Training Envisions Right-Wing Terrorism

February 10, 2014

Documents from an Ohio National Guard (ONG) training drill conducted last January reveal the details of a mock disaster where Second Amendment supporters with “anti-government” opinions were portrayed as domestic terrorists.

The ONG 52nd Civil Support Team training scenario involved a plot from local school district employees to use biological weapons in order to advance their beliefs about “protecting Gun Rights and Second Amendment rights.”

Portsmouth Chief of Police Bill Raisin told NBC 3 WSAZ-TV in Huntington, West Virginia that the drill accurately represented “the reality of the world we live in,” adding that such training “helps us all be prepared.”

Internal ONG documents provided to Media Trackers after repeated delays provide further context to what WSAZ-TV reported last winter....

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I had a dream about a volcano last night...

Evacuation posts set up around Mt. Kelud

February 13 2014

The government, through the Kediri Disaster Management and Displaced Persons Coordination Board (PBP) task force in East Java has prepared evacuation shelters following an increase in Mount Kelud’s volcanic activity.

“We have set up 78 evacuation shelters in four districts, specifically Wates, Puncu, Kepung and Plosoklaten. Around 59,000 residents live around the volcano,” PBP head Let. Col. Heriyadi told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.

Heriyadi added that residents living between a 5-kilometer and 15-km radius of the volcano would be housed at the Joyoboyo sports stadium.

“We have also prepared alternative shelters, the Canda Bhirawa stadium in Pare district, Kediri, as well as a nearby church.”

“We have prepared the fleet of trucks to transport residents and their livestock. The livestock, around 8,000 heads of cattle and goats, will be placed close to the evacuation tents,

from 2010...

www.irinnews.org...

At least 265,000 people live in the 20km danger zone and as of 5 November, a total of 160,000 people had been evacuated to government-run emergency shelters in Sleman, Magelang, Klaten and Boyolali districts, the government reported.

"These people are at high risk and we are still trying to force them to move to the shelters," Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, director for disaster risk reduction at the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB), told IRIN.

"The government will use force if necessary to protect the safety of the people," he said, noting some residents had ignored earlier government warnings and died.

About 27,000 people were staying in the new football stadium in Yogyakarta.

"Logistics are adequate but they need more sanitary facilities such as toilets, water and hygiene kits," he said.

posted on Feb, 14 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm aware how the stadium was used in New Orleans during Katrina. But here in Las Vegas I noticed a development at a local park.
The County spent 1.3 million dollars to build a fence around the Silver Bowl Park. What's unusual about this project is what they are fencing and how.
There was already a vehicle barrier around the park to keep cars off the grass, but I had to ask myself "why build a 9foot tall fence around a bunch of grass".
Think about it for a minute, 1.3 million dollars to protect grass?

I'm thinking it's a FEMA detention facility and it's partitioned into three sections for men, women, and children.

Here are some pictures I took.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 03:37 AM
link   
haha, Coming Soon! Fences

whether it's because of weather...

Thai, US service members tour stadium providing shelter during floods

PHITSANULOK, Kingdom of Thailand – A ball is kicked through the air of an indoor soccer arena as a group of local doctors compete against each other in an afternoon match at the Phitsanulok Provincial Sports Complex. Seeing the open court and the friendly match, it is hard to believe that at one point 2,500 people lived in the building, seeking refuge from a devastating flood.

A group of U.S. service members with the civil affairs element of the Combined Joint Civil Military Operations Task Force along with a Royal Thai Army counterpart participating in Exercise Cobra Gold 2014 visited the indoor sports structure Feb. 8 to meet with local key leaders and discuss the disaster response plans in place at the sprawling athletic complex in Phitsanulok, Kingdom of Thailand.

Cobra Gold is designed to improve the capability to plan and conduct combined-joint operations, build relationships between partner nations, and improve interoperability across the range of military operations.

Along with those key objectives, the exercise focuses on humanitarian and civic assistance projects including four engineering civic assistance projects, cooperative health engagement events, and civil affairs engagements with local key leaders and assessments of local infrastructures.

“We are at the sports complex with our Thai partners as part of the civil affairs portion of Cobra Gold 2014,” said U.S. Marine Capt. Matthew C. Frick, a civil affairs officer with the civil affairs detachment, G-3, operations, III Marine Expeditionary Force, currently serving as the civil affairs officer with the Combined Joint Civil Military Operations Task Force. “We are assessing the disaster response capabilities of the facility and surrounding community. If a natural disaster occurs, it is important to know how the community will respond and whether a large complex such as this can assist in the response efforts.”

“This facility is for all kinds of sports,” said Didsadee. “But when there is flooding from the nearby river, we have a plan in place to protect the people.”

During the most recent flood event, the indoor stadium was able to provide shelter for local citizens who were temporarily displaced.

“We had about 2,500 people stay in the gymnasium,” said Didsadee. “The people who stayed were from the local area. Different government and nongovernment organizations brought food and water for the people.”

The cooperation between the community and the Thai military stationed in the area was made evident through their ability to work side by side during the flood and ensure the well-being of the affected community members, according to U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Peter Yi, a civil affairs staff noncommissioned officer with the 303rd Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, 9th Mission Support Command, currently assigned to the CJCMOTF.

“The Thai military and the workers at the complex were able to (help the people) together,” said Yi. “They managed the food, water and hygiene for all of the people who came here after the flood. The director acted as the site manager and coordinated with the NGOs and military.”

With the potential for floods or other natural disasters, it is important for the people of Phitsanulok to know where they can go should their home be damaged, according to Didsadee.

“We tell the people they can come here through the local radio and their (civic leaders) inform them,” said Didsadee. “The (facility) can also have Thai military helicopters land in the open fields and parking lots if there is an injured person.”

Understanding which facilities of a particular region can provide aid and shelter in the event of a natural disaster is an invaluable piece of information for any international relief effort, according to Frick.

“Working alongside our Thai and U.S. Army counterparts has allowed the civil affairs team to validate our assumptions,” said Frick. “Assessments such as these better prepare our militaries to assist the populace in the case of a humanitarian assistance and disaster relief operation.

or civil unrest/violence...

Gov't races to shelter Zambo refugees

2/19/2014

MANILA - The government is building a hundred transitional shelters for evacuees who fled their homes during last September's Zamboanga siege.

Social Welfare Secretary Dinky Soliman made this assurance following reports the number of deaths in Zamboanga City's evacuation centers is rising.

About 5,000 families still remain in evacuation centers, with the bulk of them occupying the Joaquin Memorial Stadium.

edit on 20-2-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Oh c'mon. FEMA Camps? Seriously? When even Glenn "I've got a chalkboard!" Beck admits that there's no story here then the story is a busted flush.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Kenya: Ambassadors Visit Detainees At Kasarani Stadium

14 April 2014

Kenya's Inspector General of Police David Kimaiyo took four foreign ambassadors on a tour of Nairobi's Kasarani Stadium on Saturday (April 12th), where hundreds of people are being detained in an ongoing security crackdown, Kenya's Capital FM reported.

Ambassadors from Tanzania, Uganda, the United Kingdom and the United States were allowed a first-hand look at the detention facility and the conditions in which people are being held, Kimaiyo said.

"[On Saturday] morning, the ambassadors wanted to come and see the ongoing screening that has today entered its seventh day," he said. "For now we have screened over 600 people and this is purposely to remove criminals who are responsible for attacks that have been taking place in the country."

Kimaiyo denied accusations that the conditions at the detention centre were harsh and that suspects were being mistreated.

Published on Apr 8, 2014

Kenya Police detain people at Kasarani Stadium within the Moi International Sports Centre in Nairobi, and prevent media from filming.

Kasarani stadium detention centre legal: Police

09 April 2014

Nairobi - Police have insisted that the detention of terror suspects at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani is legal.

Police have been criticized for the manner in which they have handled the arrest of suspects believed to either be involved or to have planned a spate of terror activities in the country.

Most of the suspects were picked up in the Eastleigh area in the last one week and have been taken to Kasarani for grilling and identification.

Human rights groups have insisted that the detention is illegal and demanded to be given the chance to see the detainees.

Police though have said that the process is all in order and say that they will only release the suspects once they are completely sure that they are either not involved in terror activities and are not aliens.

" The process is all in order and there is nothing wrong happening here. We just needed space and we have used this one, Administration Police Spokesman Masoud Mwinyi said.

He did add that the government was conscious of the rights of the detained persons and was treating them with the highest regard possible.

" There is nothing wrong with what is happening here. Everything is in order and we would like to ask human rights organizations to stray away until we complete this process, he added.

The government has insisted that it will do whatever is in its power to ensure that incidences of terror are a thing of the past in the country.

www.kentucky.com...

Kenya police spokesman Masoud Mwinyi said Tuesday that 3,000 people have been detained and questioned by security agencies and that all but 447 have been released. Those suspects remain in custody under anti-terrorism laws that allow police to hold suspects longer than 24 hours, he said. Sixty-nine people have been charged in court.

Journalists and human rights groups were given access Wednesday to a sports stadium in the capital that has been converted into a detention facility for those arrested in the crackdown.

The government-funded Kenya National Commission on Human Rights said it has received reports of human rights violations by police officers. The commission said the detainees were being held in degrading and inhumane conditions

Al-Amin Kimathi, a rights activist in Nairobi, said after touring the stadium on Wednesday that the government did not allow rights groups to inspect where the suspects were sleeping and said that activists were allowed only limited contact with suspects at the facility.

"It's a public relations exercise," he said.

www.raxanreeb.com...

www.the-star.co.ke...
edit on 16-4-2014 by 1825114 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
posting this so I can check it out later

"The Stadium in Conflict: Soccer Wars, Detention Camps, and Urbanicide"
smartech.gatech.edu...

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Nairobi's Kasarani: From stadium to detention center

April 17, 2014

NAIROBI – Sadiq Abdulqadir Mohamud has walked into Nairobi's Kasarani Stadium to show off his football talent countless times.

But the last time the attacking midfielder for the AFC Leopards, who boast a record 13 Kenyan Premier League titles, was "taken" to the stadium was like no other.

"I never imagined I could be detained by police. I am a humble and quiet person and law abiding," the 18-year-old star footballer told Anadolu Agency in an interview after Kenyan authorities released him from the stadium last week.

Kasarani Stadium was recently turned into what human rights activists now describe as a "concentration camp" housing hundreds of inmates.

Following a recent spate of attacks in Nairobi and the coastal city of Mombasa, the authorities launched a wide-ranging operation ostensibly aimed at restoring public security....

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
more on the social/ethnic cleansing aspect...

Wikileaks Leaks Vatican Supported 1973 Pinochet Coup in Chile

06 May 2014

Italian newspaper La Repubblica has published a Wikileaks cable that shows that the Vatican communicated with US diplomats in October, 1973, and expressed support for the Pinochet coup in Chile.

In the communication, between Vatican second in command, Secretary of State Giovanni Benelli, and US diplomats, Benelli expressed, “grave concern, and to Pope Paul VI regarding the successful leftist international campaign to completely distort the realities of the situation in Chile”.

Benelli also expressed concern about an alleged terrorist leftist campaign purposing to demoralize the Board of Governors in charge of the country after the September 11 coup.

Of the aftermath of the coup, Benelli said, “we must admit that there has been bloodshed in cleansing operations in Chile, but the embassy in Santiago, Cardinal Silva and Chilean bishops in general have assured Pope Paul that the board is doing everything possible to bring the situation back to normal and that the international media stories that speak of a brutal crackdown are unfounded”

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join