It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help with the cat! asap!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I think removing the male would be a good idea. Quick question though, has your ragdoll been neutered/spayed? If not, it can produce a wide change in behaviours/attitude.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
maybe she have lost control of her urinary tract. it happens to human, that is why we have adult diapers.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I'm not quite sure, if it's a male its probably likely that it would be dominant over his territory.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thundersmurf
reply to post by GypsK

I think removing the male would be a good idea. Quick question though, has your ragdoll been neutered/spayed? If not, it can produce a wide change in behaviours/attitude.

yup she is, all my cats are.

just got off the phone,
in two weeks they will come trap the male and neuter him. The veterenarian who does this is on vacation right now. BUT they will place the male back after 48 hours.
They said it will make him a lot less dominant and calmer, he probably won't hang around my cats as often anymore. The only thing they want to make sure of is that he can't make more wild offspring, but they can't place a wild cat in a home or in an animal shelter, he wouldn't have a future there. They also don't kill off cats (in case I was wondering *sigh*)

This doesn't quite fix my problem and I don't expect results with Maya if the male stays around.
So once he's neutered I'll have to find another way to keep him out off my property.
I thought about cat-wire around the property, it will keep my cats in and other cats out (I don't like mine to be running all over the place anyway), but it will cost me about 6000 € to have it placed and that is just a bit to much IMO

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by KnIghtWytchh
reply to post by GypsK

I'm not quite sure, if it's a male its probably likely that it would be dominant over his territory.

nope, it's a female cat
the 'intruder' is a male and probably the cause of the problems

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I have also had this problem. It's the intruder. Even though he is not coming in anymore, Maya has had to deal with him and is probably afraid to go outside to go pee. The fact that you have locked the cat door at night is not "solving" the problem according to Maya. He is still probably lurking around outside, because he knows there is free food inside. She can smell him.

Cats are extremely territorial, and it sounds like Maya has been in that house since she was a kitten. This male cat, being male, is dominant, and Maya is old. Still, she is trying to protect her house and the food inside from the male.

Your solution will not be overnight. Keep doing what you are doing, but I would recommend removing the "intruder" permanently. After he is neutered, find him another yard to live in, in another neighborhood. Good luck. You sound like a responsible pet owner, and I commend you for that.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Cats and dogs get notoriously grouchy and intolerant as they get older.
You could try one of these if you haven't already.
www.medicanimal.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdb51
I have also had this problem. It's the intruder. Even though he is not coming in anymore, Maya has had to deal with him and is probably afraid to go outside to go pee. The fact that you have locked the cat door at night is not "solving" the problem according to Maya. He is still probably lurking around outside, because he knows there is free food inside. She can smell him.

Cats are extremely territorial, and it sounds like Maya has been in that house since she was a kitten. This male cat, being male, is dominant, and Maya is old. Still, she is trying to protect her house and the food inside from the male.

Your solution will not be overnight. Keep doing what you are doing, but I would recommend removing the "intruder" permanently. After he is neutered, find him another yard to live in, in another neighborhood. Good luck. You sound like a responsible pet owner, and I commend you for that.

Thanks, I do my best but I don't always know what is the best thing to do

yes the male cat is always around the house, he's terrorising the neighborhood, lol

There used to be other housecats around, one 18 year old male that also walked in and out here, Maya could tolerate him (I think they grew up together)... haven't seen him around in months either, maybe he died or maybe it's because of the new alpha male... I think the new cat drove away many of the other males.
And last winter I was taking care of another male stray, he almost lived in my garden shed where I made him a nest from a thermo sleepingbag. Named him Toby. The new male drove him away as well... I still see him hanging on the other side of the fields though (and glad he is still around, I always hope to be able to take him in one day). Maya never was bothered by Toby either.

It's to bad the new one is such an agressor, he really is a beauty!
A big strong black cat with completely white legs and one hell of a character. A real bad boy cat-gang leader

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
Cats and dogs get notoriously grouchy and intolerant as they get older.
You could try one of these if you haven't already.
www.medicanimal.com...

thanks,

I had one of those from my DA,
but I used it in the livingroom instead of the kitchen (which is where she pees) so I thought it didn't work.

I'll try it again in the right rooms this time

btw, are you dutch?
Your profile says your from the UK but you linked to a dutch website... just wondering

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

Noo not dutch. But I stumbled across those plug in's before and forgot where it was, so I linked the first one that came up on google. Sorry about that.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Just get rid of it... don't put it down.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Brush the cat and put her hair from the brush onto the cats shes being aggro towards, also anyplace shes acting like that in general. Trick the cat with a happy voiced "good girl!" when shes being annoying. Poke her when shes bullying or stomp your foot and angry voiced "no!" when bullying other cats, same for food stealing, etc.
Bleach doesnt work for cat pee, use a cat pee odor remover solution, made just for that purpose. Keep the litter cleaned promptly, and changed, not a lot of perfumy kinds either, basic litter. catnip helps too, And most of all, stop power struggling with your cat. Keep it simple. Pets are like kids when it comes to Behavior problems. I went thru similar cat probs, and this worked for me, plus I was a behavioral counselor for ten yrs..

Good luck!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
My old Kitty acted just like that before her stroke which blinded her and she died that year.
Most vets do not have the equipment to do a real Blood pressure test I found one who did and after her stroke she had the highest BP he had ever seen. She was in pain also from a bad tooth and her joints surely ache at that age,

As she lost more and more control I learned white vinegar is the odor and germ solution, it does not leave a smell of it's own and kills germs and is way cheaper then the crappy stuff they sell for that purpose with no bad health consequent for the family.
edit on 2-9-2011 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I am a mama to three cats and this is what I've done...
My himalayan does what maya has done.I keep her shut
up in a room to herself all day.I let her out at night and
she loves rough housing with my boy kitty.
I would try and keep that intruder cat out of the house.He
may be eating all the food and she hasn't been getting enough.
I control my cats with food,but they control me with their
hunger.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Shes 14 YEARS OLD?
Dementia most likely, she may be losing her ever loving kitty mind.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by GypsK

I would suggest that Maya sees your house as her territory,and the introduction of new cats in "her" environment would almost certainly trigger the behaviours that you have noted,scent marking is a cats method of staking her territory and advising other cats to take note.How did you introduce your cats to Maya? was it a case of just letting them get on with it or did you build up the introductions gradually?
A senior cat such as Maya would not take kindly to intrusions into her territory giving rise to stress manifesting itself in the scent marking as described earlier and also agression towards any interlopers and whilst the stray male cat may not help the situation ,I would be more inclined to go with the problem being the introduction of your "strange" cats to Maya,did your veterinarian not suggest spraying feline facial pheromones around your house? we have used this with our cats and the effects can be astounding,it calms them down enough for aggresion towards other cats in the household to diminish and dramatically reduces the scent marking behaviour.You could also try placing their feed dishes in seperate rooms/areas so contact is kept to a minimum whilst they become accustomed to one another.

What kind of person could leave a cat behind with a note? were there genuine reasons for this or did they know you and let you know beforehand,poor Maya no wonder she is acting out of sorts.
edit on 2-9-2011 by nake13 because: .

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon

Originally posted by GypsK

Originally posted by CrimsonMoon
Why dont you just put them outside with their food and water bowls in the yard? Cats are feral outdoor creatures anyway they will survive anything. We have shared an immune system with dogs for a LONG time but cats carry all sorts of nastyness.

Put the cats out and get a dog to keep them in line

yeah I heard that a lot around here

the thing is, I love my cats to be IN the house, that's why they call it "pets". They are used to being able to walk in and out as they please. During the day they are mostly out but at night they sleep inside.

cats do not cary more "nastyness" then dogs... they are really clean creatures which take care of themselves. They never gave me, or my family health problems at all... we don't have allergies, they are treated for flees and ticks all year long.... IMO, my cats are cleaner then most dogs :p

OK but if you ever get pregnant you might want to consider putting those litter trays outside so you don’t catch toxoplasmosis from them... just saying

Billy Connelly once joked that cats are sneaky and any animal that stays when you move house shouldn't be trusted, but seriously if it was me I would put them in the shed or somewhere outside. Not that I dislike cats, I have dogs but I just believe they belong outside.

Cats are actually more clean than dogs. But I agree that pregnant females should stay away from the litter box.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by dashen
Shes 14 YEARS OLD?
Dementia most likely, she may be losing her ever loving kitty mind.

I'm not so sure about that, cats can live a whole heap longer than most dogs. She's hardly a geriatric at 14 in that case.
My friends cat's just turned 24. Admittedly she hasn't got many teeth left & she can't jump anymore and has a few other age related probs, but she's still going strong. Lives like a queen too. Even had fresh salmon, prawn and dairylee cake with candles in it on her birthday.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not sure if you've tried this or not but when my wife and I adopted a friends cat (making him our third) our youngest female started becoming a first class b*tch, attacking everyone, growling, hissing, attacking charlie when he's trying to go to the litter box (which of course causes some carpet related shenanigans ) and a friend of ours who is basically a crazy cat lady, offered some help.

I can't think of the name of the stuff for the life of me but I'll ask and get it for you, but it's this aroma therapy stuff. You plug it into a wall socket and put the container of oil or whatever it is in, and it releases pheromones or something, that calms the cats.

Yes, you are basically doping your cat up, but it totally worked for us, almost immediately noticed that the cats were much calmer.

Could always give that a shot too

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

I agree,had the same issue with one of mine, experienced the same behavior, horrible thing was I didnt know, and punished him for it, only to find out later when it was too late, and he had turned septic. I had to put him down, he was too far gone, tore my heart out, he was my best friend, I still tear up thinking about it. He even visits me in my dreams now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join