It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christchurch. One year on. Still shaking.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
www.stuff.co.nz...

Watch the three videos on the link above. After 7 months, still my home city looks like a war zone. There are alot of empty lots, and piles of rubble. Also some of those bigger buldings you see are coming down as well. We will be without our city for years. Very sad.
As for earthquakes. We are still getting them reguarly. Just last night we got a 5.0 at 6 kms deep. Really takes a toal on you. On Sunday it will be 1 year that our first big quake rocked our city. ( That was a 7.1) Maybe after a year they will start to die off. Fingers crossed.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Given your Super Volcanoes have just started to rumble I'd hate to say it but I think it may just be the beginning for any land mass on a fault line, or near it. Hell, I'm not even safe here in Adelaide if a bit of the Antarctic shelf breaks off.

I wouldn't worry about it. Unless you want to move to somewhere that won't be so dangerous, Say Central-East Australia in the Blue mountains. If you aren't prepared to make that commitment early then don't even worry about it. Life is good and you can enjoy every second of it.

I don't know what date Elenin will swinging past now because it seems to be turning. I mean that seems to be a lot of movement over a short amount of time. So I did have Sept. 27 down as a date BUT it was Sept. 4 last year when the quake struck so something may still happen again on Sunday/Monday.
edit on 2-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

edit on 9/2/11 by BrokenCircles because: removed my confusion and/or idiocy, & replaced it with the other 2 videos.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Star and flag for you; as an ex-pat I was'nt surprised in the least.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The one this morning was a doosy. Ah well, at least we get it over with now. Today's one was just at the tip of the off shore mag 7 fault. Could be interesting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Semoro

Yeah , you are right. Right off Godley heads. I see the moon man is saying that he expects another biggy at the end of September. Anyways, im off to zzz. Hopefully no rude awakenings tonight.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

I feel for you, its hard to believe its been so long, seems like it only just happened. Lets hope the worst is past.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

I read the Moonman article:

www.nzherald.co.nz...

There is some very bad weather coming towards end of Sept for the Pacific region and I know there will be afew rattles in the Southern & Northern region of NZ for the first week of Sept; the last EQK prediction I made on my FB for the NZ region of a 7.5+ ended up being 2000km not far off NZ just recently.

Can't say for end of Sept because I have'nt done my charts for mid Sept yet. When I do, I'll let you all know on another thread.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Yeah. One year today

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin
reply to post by aarys

Given your Super Volcanoes have just started to rumble I'd hate to say it but I think it may just be the beginning for any land mass on a fault line, or near it. Hell, I'm not even safe here in Adelaide if a bit of the Antarctic shelf breaks off.

Can you provide links about our super volcanoes beginning to rumble ?
I live here, and I haven't heard a single thing about any volcanoes making any more noise than normal.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

I dont think there is any super volcanoes rumbling. Isnt Taupo the only super volcano in NZ.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by aarys

Yellowstone, Long Valley, and Valles Caldera in the United States;
Lake Toba, North Sumatra, Indonesia;
Taupo, North Island, New Zealand
Aira Caldera, Kagoshima Prefecture, Kyūshū, Japan.

Are the only known supervolcanoes in the world - None of these are currently showing signs of abnormal activity.

I was basically calling the guy out for scaremongering and false information.
=D

But, on topic, my heart goes out to all those in CHCH going through what I can only begin to imagine.
Kia Kaha.

edit on 4/9/2011 by Dachende because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Taupo
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Whakamaru
hisz.rsoe.hu...

Now I don't know how significant it is, and I'm not trying to scare monger, but the reality is worldwide more is happening than in previous years geologically.

If you check out the links you'll see there have been geological events at those volcanoes. I'm having a bit of trouble locating previous records but if someone else can I'd be happy to concede it is a normal event. Especially given I live in Adelaide which isn't all that far from New Zealand and any super volcano eruption would have massive effects on us here too.
edit on 4-9-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
These are ONLY probabilities; not quite as bad as Moonman makes out but close:

Mid to late Sept 2011:

New Zealand: North Island 6.0+ South Island 6.7+ Lower South Island ?

The biggies for this month is expected in Greece and Japan:

Greece: up to a 7.0+

Japan: up to a 8.0+

+ can be higher than

There are still some areas I'm still working on especially for the USA and South Pacific region however so far the USA should'nt expect anything huge.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I'm so very sorry for the devastation of your beautiful and proud home. It is so sad to know rebuilding is not able to take place with the aftershocks still so large and frequent, and the costs and logistics so challenging. There was just so much dignity and strength in the response to this crisis that impressed me about the residents of NZ. And I was also grateful and moved by the support and understanding shown by NZ ATS members to those of us here on the east coast of the US who experienced the first significant quake of our lives. So many of you showed more solidarity with us than some of our fellow countrymen. For that, and so many other reasons, Christchurch will hold a special place in my heart, my thoughts, and prayers.

I know now the dread that fills me when I hear rumbling and can't identify at first if it's an aftershock or something else. With us, it is usually something else. We are having aftershocks but they are faint or undetectable for most of us. I can only imagine how you all are feeling as you try to go on with your lives with these huge, significant aftershocks rolling in.

There surely has been a whole lot of storming and shaking and drought and drenching going on around the world. There just doesn't seem to be any safe haven anymore, if there ever really was. So I wish us all health, safety, sanity, and good luck for whatever comes next, wherever it shows up.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

Whakamaru - No idea why the site you link has that listed as a supervolcano , it's an area of high seismic activity, but it's no supervolcano. Whakamaru is where we have a few of the main hydroelectric and geothermal power stations which supply a large chunk of our national grid.
Whakamaru isn't even listed as being active, or potentially active .

New Zealand’s active or potentially active volcanoes:

Those volcanoes that have erupted within the last 10,000 years, especially those with multiple eruptions in that period, are the most likely to erupt again. Together with Taranaki (Mt Egmont) and the Tūhua caldera (Mayor Island), most of the active volcanic centres are in the Taupō Volcanic Zone, and include Ruapehu, Ngāuruhoe, Tongariro, Taupō caldera, Okataina caldera, Mt Edgecumbe (Pūtauaki) and Whakaari (White Island).

Taranaki (Mt Egmont) has erupted at least a dozen times since about 1300 AD, the most recent (Tahurangi) occurring probably around 1755. Taranaki has generated a series of lahars in the last few thousand years, as well as eruptions, and part of the volcano's summit probably collapsed between 1860 and 1897.

Mayor Island (Tūhua), 25 kilometres offshore in the western Bay of Plenty, has erupted several times in the last 10,000 years. A caldera-forming event about 7,000 years ago spread tephra over part of the North Island. The latest eruption, of lavas, took place possibly about 3,000 years ago.

Mt Edgecumbe (Pūtauaki), an andesitic cone volcano, was active about 3,200 years ago.

Small eruptions have occurred irregularly over a large area in the Auckland volcanic field, the latest being the formation of Rangitoto Island around 1400 AD. Past experience suggests that future eruptions in Auckland are likely to come from new vents rather than existing cones.
www.teara.govt.nz...

If you can provide evidence that worldwide we are seeing more frequent volcanic activity than in previous years then please provide the information to us here so we can see for ourselves.

Every volcano has geological events - I think you need to do a bit of research into how active we are here. We have a ridiculous amount of volcanoes and we have multiple fault lines running straight up the country.

Taupo recent seismic activity:
Date Time Scale Depth
2011-09-02 09:52:22 3.3 25 Km
2011-08-29 13:28:13 2.8 5 Km
2011-08-28 19:30:02 2.5 5 Km
2011-08-28 20:23:35 2.9 5 Km
2011-08-28 20:18:53 3.5 3 Km
2011-08-28 22:25:00 2.4 7 Km
2011-08-09 01:46:15 5.0 100 Km
2011-08-08 05:24:45 3.4 5 Km
2011-08-06 12:40:10 4.6 189 Km
2011-08-06 12:40:14 4.6 160 Km

Only one of those was felt or even mentioned on our news here, and we don't get alot of news. If an earthquake is felt, it's all over everything from TV to newspapers.

If you go to magma.geonet.org.nz... you can search for a complete listing of seismic activity in New Zealand as far back as you want.
I can't link the information here because the way it works is it puts all the info into a text file for you to download, these can get quite large.

We have an average of 2-3 earthquakes per day here, very rarely are any of these felt, not including the recent events in Christchurch.

If we have even the slightest chance of heightened geothermal activity or volcanic-related sesmic activity it's plastered all over the news

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Sweet, I hope so. I'm finding it harder and harder to trust the paid professionals nowadays. I could just be paranoid. Gut says not.

new topics

top topics

join