It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nightmares/Terrors and Sleep Paralysis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I did not have them too much as a kid.

Nightmares yes, but sleep paralysis not so much, a few times though. Now things are different.

Not too long ago I was involved in a series of threads with some, now friends, much to my surprise I believe at least 8 or 9 of us had experienced the paralysis. All of us had had some kind of UFO, NDE, paranormal or elemental experience at sometime in our lives.

Myself it was, possibly all of the above, not the NDE. I had them every night for 6 months after. Mostly nightmares of near death with some paralysis. I had only one good dream at that time, which ultimately that one could be a thread in itself, well it already is in two. That was a few years back and they ceased for awhile. Now they have come back again.

Just curious how many people might have experienced this and have you had any of said experiences as well?

This is not really one of them but, just for kicks, have any of you had dreams of "swimming" in the air only to have the feeling of losing control and momentum of your "swim" and start floating up and up and up? Haven't had that one in awhile but it really sticks with me.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Nightmares are a normal thing that most people get. I don't think there's anyone who doesn't. I also find that waking nightmares (where I wake up still living the dream) occur while I have high fevers (like over 40) from strep throat infections.
I haven't had any UFO experiences. Definitely have seen some pretty odd airplanes, though
Sleep paralysis and paranormal 'encounters' I believe to be related. "Spirits" that might be met around in houses, 'haunted' places, etc. I believe will increase the chance of having sleep paralysis. It sometimes will happen out of the blue, but some people's homes will show signs of having 'spirits' in them, and will be doubled with recurring sleep paralysis.

Just my opinion, though.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I have experienced sleep paralysis twice in my life, but it was 5 years ago. It is a really weird feeling where you can't move any body part, but you can think just like normal. It felt like I was possessed by the devil.
I have never had any paranormal ufo experience nor have I ever had a dream that defied physics.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by timewalker

Sorry, I've never had sleep paralysis, but I've been reading a lot about astral projection and really wish that I had the control (or was just lucky enough to already have the problem) to cause it. When it happens you just need to feel aware of what is going on and relax, take deep breaths. It shall pass.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I experience sleep paralysis often. I am mentally aware but my body will not move. I feel the need for someone to pull me up. I am screaming for someone to help....but my mouth is not moving. I have tried to relax when this happens to me.....when I did I saw a bright light and that was all I remember. I am not sure how long I am actually in this state, sometimes it feels like eternity. I usually wake up disorientated with a overwhelming pressure to find answers.

I have had many strange experiences and encounters in my life, they started when I was very young and they have increased in frequency and clarity. I'm not sure myself what it is all about, but I continue to search.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nearlyfabled

Sleep paralysis and paranormal 'encounters' I believe to be related. "Spirits" that might be met around in houses, 'haunted' places, etc.

I tend to believe some UFO's and Spirits are one in the same, not all are "metal craft". Call em elementals or ultrademensional's works for me.

Thanks for the post.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hippo45

It is a really weird feeling where you can't move any body part, but you can think just like normal.

I know the feeling, except for thinking normally, the shear terror of not being able to move my body when I am in fight or flight mode without the ability to do either does not sit well.

Cant even speak.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by kolumbus

Sorry, I've never had sleep paralysis, but I've been reading a lot about astral projection and really wish that I had the control (or was just lucky enough to already have the problem) to cause it. When it happens you just need to feel aware of what is going on and relax, take deep breaths. It shall pass.

I have never induced it but I wonder if the unconscious dream state itself is not astral projection. I have had shared dreams with others, and am convinced of the existence of a Noosphere. The group I referred to, we all had too many "coincidences" to explain away. Things just fall into place at the right times.

Lucid dreams, I have had and have been able to take control of flight in dreams.

I seem to fly a lot.

It passes after about 15-30 seconds, relax? That's a different story.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Minori
I experience sleep paralysis often. I am mentally aware but my body will not move. I feel the need for someone to pull me up. I am screaming for someone to help....but my mouth is not moving. I have tried to relax when this happens to me.....when I did I saw a bright light and that was all I remember. I am not sure how long I am actually in this state, sometimes it feels like eternity. I usually wake up disorientated with a overwhelming pressure to find answers.

I have had many strange experiences and encounters in my life, they started when I was very young and they have increased in frequency and clarity. I'm not sure myself what it is all about, but I continue to search.

A bright light is what started all of this. I was awake and aware for that one though. The lucidity in the dreams and paralysis started at a young age and I remember those dreams with clarity to this day.

I too wish there was someone to pull me up, but it usually is in a "fight or flight" mode for me. I am not able to speak either but sometimes can grunt or growl, some type of noise, but the ability to speak just is not there. I am definitely in a defensive mode.

Yeah, I had enough and jumped on the boards here at 3am to look for answers too.

I can tell you definitely had had them.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Just for the record, I am seeing a lot of Dreams and Predictions threads today.

Hmmmm

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I recently heard an interview explaining that sleep paralysis is a made-up term/condition, coined by a doctor who made it up on the spot, when he was asked to be "the skeptic" for a tv program about abduction experiences and alien implants. When I heard the woman explaining how this term came about, my jaw dropped. I have experienced it once recently and awoke to the clear feeling of hands around my ankle, like trying to pull off a boot, pulling on my leg so hard that it was straight out from the side of the bed! I could see my roommate putting things away in the hall closet, but I couldn't move or speak. I tried to focus on knocking something off the dresser to get her attention, but could only move my eyes, which were wide open. I was trying to shout, even as I stared helplessly at my outstretched levitating leg. I have a broken vertebrae, so I couldn't have done a leg lift by myself if I tried. Finally the invisible hands let go, and I was able to move, and call to my roommate, who had heard/seen nothing from me during the episode. I believe I had several as a kid, but it was combined with memories of being "taken" or led somewhere. I would try to resist, to struggle and fight them, but my arms were like rubber, and I felt "drugged". I think "sleep paralysis" is most likely a condition that is triggered by, if not controlled by, something other-worldly.
(it kinda sucks that some doctor just made up the term for the show, and now its every skeptics favorite answer of denial.)

edit on 2-9-2011 by gemdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Islam actually relates sleep paralysis to Jinns (genies, spirits, demons, ghosts, you name it - they're all jinns) who grab on to a person while they sleep. They can't do much because of the sheer strength of the jinns who are MUCH stronger than humans.

The only solutions Muslims have for it is to read a specific verse of the Qur'an, called the Verse of the Throne, which contains the most attributes to god in one verse. This is supposed to "chase away" the jinn and results in alleviating the pressure and restoring the ability to speak.

Nightmares are also attributed to these jinns.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I've had sleep paralysis, Night terrors all my life, especially when i was a kid. My mom said I 'acted out my dreams', I'm assuming she meant like, murder with a knife of something?

She'd find me sleep walking, often times with a trail of blood from my frequant nosebleeds. Almost everynight, and every other day (sometimes less sometimes more) they embarrassed me in school more times than I can remember. I remember sitting in class praying it started on my walk home, but more often times I was sitting there and red goes my textbook!

All the usual symptoms:

Seen UFOs, 5 seperate occasion, with about 15 UFOs total.
OBO
Abduction scenarios
Government stuff 90% of MILAB symptoms (military family, background, close to bases, black choppers, noises, implants, all that jazz), 90% of Abductee symptoms.
Not to many monarch things, but a few scary ones.

Lots of spiritual stuff, too expressive to be described for sure.
Magick things as well, Hexing, spells, hoodoo, etc

The list goes on XD

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I have had sleep paralysis and or night terrors which started rather abruptly at about the age of fourteen. I have many stories about experiences I have had with sleep paralysis (SP) but I will share one in particular from later adulthood.

I lived in a house that was an actual 'mother-in-law'; it was built for the property owners mother in-law at some point and it was being rented when I was looking. It was very small with it's back up against a steep hillside and surrounded by very tall, thin palm trees.

I had to change up my routine all of a sudden to suit a temporary schedule change and it caused me to have to get quiet and sleepy way ahead of my normal habit, this was made extra hard because it was the long summer days and it stayed light out until almost 8 p.m..

So I would grab a book and lay down on my giant Murphy bed with my head at the foot with a pillow; somehow this made me sleepy and as I would start to doze I would shift around and go to sleep.

On about night two of this I was reading and started to get sleepy and I raised my hands above my head to stretch and then I lay still and really stated to fall to sleep. As I caught myself in mid-sleep so I could spin around and get in the right orientation I tried to bring my arms down from over my head and realized that they were paralyzed.

At this point in my life with SP I was prone to be experimental and realized that this would be a good chance to sort of dwell in that middle space one can find oneself in when an episode of SP occurs. I was able to stay there a long time (45 secs or so) with no panic or fear attacks or bad ju ju or anything; then I just sort of snapped out of it and spun around and went to sleep with no interruptions.

So I tried the same thing the next afternoon; I read upside down in bed for a while till I got sleepy and then raised my arms over to stretch, surrendered a little more to sleep and then tested my arms. Ta da! I had figured out a way to induce sleep paralysis in myself.

So I set myself up the same way the next day and the same process ensues. Like I said; it was light out till about 8 and I am laying down at about 6:30. So I am laying there and I am at the part where I test my arms for the paralysis and some how I guess my attention is freed up in some way and I see straight up into the sky as if there is no roof at all, just me lying in a bed outside. I am looking right at the sky through the tall skinny palm trees right at the moon which is half full in the turquoise sky.

I guess it all happened in about 3 seconds or so until I started to gasp and woke up stunned with my mouth hanging open. I have seen some trippy crap in my time with SP, some of it would even make better stories, but I have never seen right through the walls and ceiling like that before, or again, despite attempts. Totally caught me off guard.

I jumped right off the bed as soon as I could pull myself together and ran outside to make sure that the Moon was half full, it was. And that is my whole story.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Sternblut

Banned!

I was just going to ask about deprogramming, If he/she had any?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who experienced this. I really am because I always had an issue with Sleep Paralysis and I never knew exactly what it was that was happening to me. Since the first time I had it I always thought that it was an other worldy being that was making it happen. I still don't know whether it is this case but whatever it is, it's extremely scary. The first time it ever happened to me I was 10 years old and it was quite frightening, I felt as though I was being pinned down to my bed and I couldn't move absolutely any part of my body but my eyes. I was able to look around my room but I felt as though I got paralyzed and I was afraid I would become a vegetable. So of course I panicked and ended up trying to violently force my self up and try to move my legs and try to scream even though nothing came out of my mouth and eventually I woke up. Once I was awake I felt so relieved that I was okay and I was scared to go back to sleep. Ever since then I always had it up until recently. The last time I had it was about 2 weeks ago and this was the most eerie experience ever with sleep paralysis. I was watching Ancient Aliens on the History Channel and I ended up falling asleep. I don't exactly remember my dream but I noticed I had gone into sleep paralysis. Once I noticed this I started to panic more than usual because I felt a negative presence, I don't know how to describe it but I felt more frightened than usual. I felt as though I was floating up from my bed and I heard a sort of spinning noise. I also felt as though the bed next to be was drifting farther away from me and things around my room were moving around. Once I felt as though I was being taken away I cried out for help but of course I was unable to move nor speak so I cried out to God in my head and I was able to move again. The second I woke up I was breathing heavily and had a cold sweat. I called out to my mom because I didn't want to be alone.
I've heard that during sleep paralysis one can hallucinate and that could have been my case but I have no idea, all I know is that it was eerie and frightening.
My mom also suffers from sleep paralysis, I think it's hereditary.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Frater210

That is a good one Frater. I don't know if I would want to induce it, but that's just me.

A case of astral projection right through the walls. The inner self went outside. Interesting.

I had two in the last couple of weeks. The first one followed a dream and I had some information 'told' to me by someone I actually know (still waiting for response if it actually meant anything to them). The second dream that night was the one. There was a 'being' possible grey, scared the stuff out of me...paralyzed.

Then the night I started this thread, I cannot remember the dream but on awakening, I saw shadows moving, might have possibly been the TV downstairs, didn't matter. I couldn't move. That was the worst ever. Could just grunt noises. Not good at all.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Hmmm. Energetic/ Spiritual mechanics? Liking the thoughts; made me think of this video:

fixing link; esperete por favor....

Hmm. Link not working due to copyright shenanigans by Vevo....

Anyway -

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/79cb28ba49b3.jpg[/atsimg]

BLACK RAIN, by the Awesomeness that is/was SOUNDGARDEN.

edit on 4-9-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: silly copyright shenanigans.

edit on 4-9-2011 by FlyInTheOintment because: (no reason given)

join