It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RANT!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I am posting this because I have seen a lot of the same issues and complaints posted around here.

RANT!

I usually spend a lot of time responding to posts as well as creating threads. Some of these thoughts/posts/threads are deleted/off topic. I almost always have a reason to post. I also usually reference multiple posts in my responses (without reading the entire thread you wouldn't get them and mods need to be aware of that). I also try to lighten the mood of threads for the most part. I want this to be a happy place

I also ask for real responses. I usually have users that respond about grammar or a single sentence/word out of my own multiple paragraphs that they don't like. Great, you don't like a single sentence out of 100. What did the other 99 sentences say and mean to you!

Picking apart a single sentence and word is easy, but I want responses that relate to the context and thoughts of my posts! I want some real feedback! Grr

Reader, have you made a post you thought was amazing only to find out it was deleted forever? How did it make you feel? Did the moderator give you warning or just delete it?

I can spend hours on posts that end up trash. Thoughts? Experiences? RANTS!?!

Edit~Now that I say this, I realize someone is going to pull examples of the crappier posts I have made. Decide for yourselves.

Edit 2~When i mention RANTS! I also think SAIL!, but you wont find that post because you aren't looking yet.

Feel free to RANT! about other subjects as well. I may just reply

edit on 2-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

In my experience posts generally aren't removed/deleted unless they break the T&C's in some form, what was the reason your comments were removed?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by adraves
I am posting this because I have seen a lot of the same issues and complaints posted around here.

RANT!

I usually spend a lot of time responding to posts as well as creating threads. Some of these thoughts/posts/threads are delete or considered off topic. I almost always have a reason to post. I also usually reference multiple posts in my responses (without reading the entire thread you wouldn't get them). I also try to lighten the mood of threads for the most part. I want this to be a happy place

I also ask for real responses. I usually have users that respond about grammar or a single sentence/word out of my own multiple paragraphs. Picking apart a single sentence and word is easy, but I want responses that relate to the context and thoughts of my posts! I want some real feedback! Grr

Reader, have you made a post you thought was amazing only to find out it was deleted forever? How did it make you feel? Did the moderator give you warning or just delete it?

Edit~Now that I say this, I realize someone is going to pull examples of the crappier posts I have made. Decide for yourselves.

Your rant was hard to read because of grammar. Sorry

Honestly tho, take a good look at the content of the best posters on this site. Their topics are always clear and easy to read, clear effort is put into the content of their posts. I'm not saying you don't put in effort I'm just saying the standard on ATS is set high, that's just how it goes. In the end ATS will force you to be a better poster, at least if you care enough to work at it. Don't let it stop you from trying.

-Lightrule

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lightrule

RANT!

I usually spend a lot of time responding to posts as well as creating threads. Some of these thoughts/posts/threads are delete or considered off topic. I almost always have a reason to post. I also usually reference multiple posts in my responses (without reading the entire thread you wouldn't get them). I also try to lighten the mood of threads for the most part. I want this to be a happy place

I also ask for real responses. I usually have users that respond about grammar or a single sentence/word out of my own multiple paragraphs. Picking apart a single sentence and word is easy, but I want responses that relate to the context and thoughts of my posts! I want some real feedback! Grr

Honestly tho, take a good look at the content of the best posters on this site. Their topics are always clear and easy to read, clear effort is put into the content of their posts. I'm not saying you don't put in effort I'm just saying the standard on ATS is set high, that's just how it goes. In the end ATS will force you to be a better poster, at least if you care enough to work at it. Don't let it stop you from trying.

-Lightrule

Damn you! I was fixing some of that grammar when you replied! GRR!

As for top level contributors, they usually post very safe posts (scientific or boring). Those users don't post a lot of their own opinions or emotion. I appreciate the right to do those sort of things, as a less than stellar user.

As for the bar being set high....I can spend literally hours perfecting a post or thread that ends up destroyed because someone doesn't like one sentence in it(or because the user doesn't realize I am referencing other posts and threads). The rest of the message doesn't matter to them only one sentence or error are brought up.

I am looking for some conversation here not a big f u and f u back mentality.

Thanks for the reply

RANT!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lightrule

RANT!

-Lightrule

Damn you! I was fixing some of that grammar when you replied! GRR!

As for top level contributors, they usually post very safe posts (scientific or boring). Those users don't post a lot of their own opinions or emotion. I appreciate the right to do those sort of things, as a less than stellar user.

As for the bar being set high....I can spend literally hours perfecting a post or thread that ends up destroyed because someone doesn't like one sentence in it(or because the don't realize I am referencing other post and threads_. The rest of the message doesn't matter to them. Just that one sentence or error are brought up.

I am looking for some conversation here not a big f u and f u back mentality.

Thanks for the reply

RANT!

Hey man I get you, I do. Many of my threads get 2 flags and 4 posts... But what I'm trying to say is... Generally speaking people are lazy, if they have to go searching through your posts in order to understand the topic they are viewing you will quickly loose them. You need to link to the posts you're referring to. Perhaps even a brief summary of those posts will be needed.

Also even if you are trying to speak from the heart in your own words it helps if what you are writing is easy to read.

Good luck man!

-Lightrule

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
People can't destroy threads because of a single sentence, unless you contribute to their ability to keep replying. Ignore them. Or take what they're saying on board and leave it.

Certainly people cannot have your threads removed because of a typo. lol.

There's a feather in the pie, I believe..

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

edit on 9/2/2011 by Klassified because: Nevermind

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Well, for one thing, your logic leaves much to be desired. Seriously, each thread or post sinks or swims on its own merit. After all, this is a user-content generated site.

As for the other half of your rant... Commas. Really? Only you can allow someone to get under your skin by getting upset over what amounts to ludicrous criticism. Personally, I know for a fact that I abuse commas to death. Correction, make that punctuation and grammar, in general. Guess what? I really don't give a rat's patootie what others may think if that's the best criticism they can throw at me.

However, I do have one critical piece of advice for you: Learn to use the damn "Reply-To" feature. Those nested quotes look ridiculous after a while and are hell on the eyes. Just a little something to consider.

Cheers and happy ranting.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Fuzzy Wabbit

I used the reply-to function just for you

I wasn't really trying to be logical; I just felt like venting. This is the rant forum after all. I just started typing, and this is what came from it. In other words, I had a little case of the typing diarrhea's.

Cheers

EDIT~I even managed to use the search function when creating the thread. If there would have been a thread titled" RANT!" I would have posted in it instead of creating a new thread.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I know that sometimes we need to get our point across. It can be hard while typing and writing. This is espicially true online.

But damn. I can have 1 line of text I want to share but need to add 5 more lines to justify it or make sure it isn't taken the wrong way. We don't always have to be civil. We can rant if we want to. Just stop expecting people to get you...they never will.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   

I know that sometimes we need to get our point across. It can be hard while typing and writing. This is espicially true online.

But damn. I can have 1 line of text I want to share but need to add 5 more lines to justify it or make sure it isn't taken the wrong way. We don't always have to be civil. We can rant if we want to. Just stop expecting people to get you...they never will.

Actually, you do have to remain civil... even in Rants. Just a heads up.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

Most posts get deleted because they are either off-topic or the post is offensive.

Wytch

top topics

join