It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN Food for Sex

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

WikiLeaks: UN Peacekeepers Traded Food For Sex

United Nations peacekeepers in Ivory Coast enticed underage girls in a poor part of the West African nation to exchange sex for food, according to a United States Embassy cable released by WikiLeaks.

The cable written in January 2010 focuses on the behavior of Beninese peacekeepers stationed in the western town of Toulepleu, an area that has been at the crosshairs of the nation's 10-year-long conflict.

A random poll of 10 underage girls in Toulepleu by aid group Save The Children U.K. in 2009 found that eight performed sexual acts for Benin peacekeepers on a regular basis in order to secure their most basic needs. "Eight of the 10 said they had ongoing sexual relationships with Beninese soldiers in exchange for food or lodging," the diplomat wrote in the cable, citing information shared with the embassy by a protection officer.

:shk:

Proving once again that abuse of power is the rule, not the exception.

Note these were mostly children.

And the perpetrators:

"We see it as a command and control problem," said Bonnardeaux who spoke by telephone from New York. Of the 16, 10 were commanders and the rest were soldiers.

Of course, this isn't the first time:

Sexual misconduct by U.N. troops has been reported in a number of countries including Congo, Cambodia and Haiti – as well as in an earlier incident involving Moroccan peacekeepers in Ivory Coast.

In 2007, a 730-strong battalion of peacekeepers from Morocco was asked to suspend its activities in the northern Ivorian city of Bouake after the U.N. received allegations of sexual misconduct involving local girls.

See also from 2004 & 2005:

UN troops buy sex from teenage refugees in Congo camp

UN Peacekeepers Trade Food, Money For Sexual Favors (from ATSNN)

edit on 1-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Another dose of reality check. I assure these things are happening. I only give prayers and blessings from the most high to those in ivory coast. G_bless

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

So disturbing, but predictable under any large, overarching bureaucratic entity even under the best of circumstances.

The head of this poisonous snake needs to be cut off, and that is the United Nations itself.

As a matter of fact, these head executives were asking for salary increases for themselves (tax-free, of course) just today.

I too pray to God for those in these most injust situations.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   
You'll notice how it said in that article, that of the 16 that were known to do it, 10 were brass. That is not a coincidence. The sort of personality that has the ambition to get to command ranks, is also the sort of personality that will primarily do things like this; as well as making sure that the rank and file get punished for it, if it ever comes out.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

It's not funny when they have to depend on having sex with soldiers just to feed themselves. Maybe you don't get any because you seem to be an idiot.

Now, I agree it is sad that a human being would have to trade in their dignity to survive...but what's the alternative..? Death..? Well, apparently that option doesn't suffice for some people...

And, in a way it's nice to see the barter system put to use, one sided as it is, and in such an effective way!

You go Girl..!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

Well considering that they work for the UN its their duty to feed the girls regardless of whether they have sex with them or not. But we all know how the UN is really just a figurehead that does nothing so I guess your point is valid.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by facelift
...in a way it's nice to see the barter system put to use, one sided as it is, and in such an effective way!

Do you actually believe the outrageous nonsense you wrote?

I swear I don't understand most people.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

...in a way it's nice to see the barter system put to use, one sided as it is, and in such an effective way!

Do you actually believe the outrageous nonsense you wrote?

I swear I don't understand most people.

Well, I don't know loam - you spout some crazy sh!t on this site on a regular basis IMO...I never reply with, "loam, you suck", I just accept that we see things differently.

As to the appreciation of the content - your linear thinking is not only amateur, you may want to learn to read between the lines; otherwise what's the point..?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Well, I don't know loam - you spout some crazy sh!t on this site on a regular basis IMO...I never reply with, "loam, you suck", I just accept that we see things differently.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue as well?

I didn't say you sucked. I asked you if you really believed the dribble you wrote.

BIG DIFFERENCE, Sherlock.

And you deride my thinking as linear?

EDITED TO ADD:

But let me back up and say this: Upon reflection, I agree I could have addressed my question more politely. Evidently, that's as close as our perspectives are likely to get.

I will seek to be somewhat more restrained in future.

EDITED TO ADD, AGAIN:

But don't expect too much.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Evidently, that's as close as our perspectives are likely to get.

Come on now...let's not set our expectations to low.

I'm pointing out that you took my post literally - how 'bout we both strive to read between the lines..? We would both be better off for it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I'm pointing out that you took my post literally - how 'bout we both strive to read between the lines..? We would both be better off for it.

Whaaaaaaa?????? You were being sarcastic?

Ooops, my bad....

Sincerest apologies.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
reply to post by the owlbear

It's not funny when they have to depend on having sex with soldiers just to feed themselves. Maybe you don't get any because you seem to be an idiot.

No, I just hate misleading headlines.
"UN SEX FOR FOOD" hmm, if we were to read it from left to right...
I see that it has been changed, however, and for the better.

The situation is quite awful, but not a shock. Been going on for years in the dirtiest, poorest places in the world.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
This kind of conduct insults every true soldier in the world. A solider's "real" duty is to protect the weak and vunerable, with his own life if necessary. Soldiers who rape or use the innocent as protitutes should be held accountable in the most harsh manner.

If ANY soldier that was under my command, during my time, was found to be carrying on in this way, well, all I can say is God help him. Being a soldier brings a huge responsibility, you are not a thug with a uniformm, it is a calling that is to be taken seriously.

Edit: That Blue Beret is meant to stand for justice and protection, not exortion and bullying. SHAME ON THEM!!!
edit on 2/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

edit on 2/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
what is wrong with people these days that they have no compassion for others? How can one stoop so low as to take away the dignity of another human being? This is an outrage and the offenders should be locked away.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
So the United Nations is no different then the Roman Catholic Church. I did some quick research.

A) UN has never condemned the Catholic Church (That I could find) regarding sex abuse
B) The Catholic Church has not condemned the UN about the same matter.
C) UN has had allegations of this more than once
D) So has the RCC

***Anyone else think the pic of the lady in the Op could be related to Condi?

edit on 2-9-2011 by TheRemedial because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

I might have different thoughts on this if the woman were having sex for luxury items. However, when they are doing it just to eat and feed their family I cannot support this. And we fund the UN international aid, almost every country does.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLoneArcher
This kind of conduct insults every true soldier in the world. A solider's "real" duty is to protect the weak and vunerable, with his own life if necessary. Soldiers who rape or use the innocent as protitutes should be held accountable in the most harsh manner.

If ANY soldier that was under my command, during my time, was found to be carrying on in this way, well, all I can say is God help him. Being a soldier brings a huge responsibility, you are not a thug with a uniformm, it is a calling that is to be taken seriously.

Edit: That Blue Beret is meant to stand for justice and protection, not exortion and bullying. SHAME ON THEM!!!
edit on 2/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: Added Text

edit on 2/9/2011 by TheLoneArcher because: (no reason given)

A soldier's duty is to kill the people his commander says. Rarely do soldiers defend as much as they attack.

Come on, don't make it more poetic than it really is.
edit on 2-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I know I'm going to get flamed for this, and I am certainly not condoning the actions of the soldiers, and I hate to see anyone exploited, and I haven't ever been to any of these areas.

Now with all of those disclaimers out of the way, lets get real and look at the situation. Why are the peacekeepers there? How would things change if they were not there? Why are these areas dependent on foreign food aid in the first place? What other natural resources or contribution do they provide to the world?

I'm not trying to be callous, but it appears sex might be the only tangible thing they have to barter with? If the rest of the world turned their back and walked out, this area (and others like it) might just fall off the map, and these people might not exist at all? And, however callous it might sound, the world might be a better place if we just allowed nature to take its course?

Sure the situation is not ideal, but is it better to exist at someone else's mercy and use the one tangible asset you have to survive, or is it better to not exist at all?

And on a larger level, are humanitarian efforts really worthwhile in the long run? Are we making the world a better place by artificially prolonging the suffering of the populations in these regions or would it be more humane to allow the population to collapse? And before someone cries racism, I could ask the same question about nursing homes inside the US. Is it really humane, and economically beneficial to keep people alive, and in varying states of suffering for years, sometimes decades, with no quality of life whatsoever?

The UN troops have major issues, but without them there, the issues are even more dire. When do we pull the plug?
edit on 2-9-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join