It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Corporate Media In American Society

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

One might even go as far as saying they have a considerable amount of control over our politics too

I say it all the time! ...We have a Global Corporate Government - defined, signed, sealed and delivered by "free trade" deals under international law - and replaces national law.

And o yea - does NOT respect or even acknowledge individual civil rights, never mind individual human rights. Just corporate rights and personhood.

edit on 1/9/11 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SirClem

Corporate Media is more than just profits. Ultimately, it is about conforming to a belief system. If you are not cut from the sacred cloth like your rulers, you will be bound by it for eternity as a slave. Unless of course, you wake up and learn to fight this plague.
Yeah I wonder how deep it really goes, are members of these corporations a part of the Bilderberg Group or the Rockefellers? I definitely need to do some a lot more research on this and try to figure out how the world really operates.

I asked this in the OP, but does anybody know of any trustworthy news sources? This website obviously being one of them, what do you guys think about infowars? I like Alex Jones even though he can be quite the sensationalist from time to time, but he always seems to be doing it for the good of the American people and he often views events through the eyeglasses that I see them through.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Because is not media to keep the public informed on what goes on behind our backs in with our government.
That reminds me of something Jesse Ventura once said. When he was being interviewed by a bunch of reports, he flipped it around and said something along the lines of "Why am I doing your jobs for you? Isn't it the job of the media to investigate these things and inform the citizens, and not the other way around?"

The interview was about 9/11 and Building 7, but the message still applies. If all of the information is out there and somebody can figure it out on the internet with 2 hours of research, what the hell is our media doing? Don't they pay people to be all over these things? I'm not talking about the MSM because obviously they're controlled by corporations, but what about the local media? Where is the small-town media in all of this, why aren't their reporters showing people that our MSM is controlled by just 5 corporations?

edit on 1-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edi tmy post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Used to be, but since the biggest scandal in American politics in the 70s with Watergate with haven't have any credible sources in the media to expose corruption unless is to benefit some corporate and private interest agenda, or to shadow other more important news that may be dangerous to the status quo, power.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

It depends on the subject.
I like Voltaire for current Middle East events.
If NATO wants them dead, they must be doing something right.
Also, Bollyn for his research is unmatched.
The Israeli connection is cutting edge. If you know what Israel is planning, you know what is going to happen. It is as simple as that. They currently make this filthy word go round, and that is the truth. In Europe, questioning the "holocaust" can get you a prison sentence. Who runs Europe?
But check out the other link, Who Rules America?.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SirClem

It depends on the subject.
I like Voltaire for current Middle East events.
If NATO wants them dead, they must be doing something right.
Also, Bollyn for his research is unmatched.
Awesome thanks, I'll definitely start getting news from those sites.

But check out the other link, Who Rules America?.
It's a long read but I'll check it out right now.

Here are the statistics for those media outlets:

Internet:

AOL is the largest Internet service provider in the world, with 34 million U.S. subscribers
Television:

Time Warner's subsidiary HBO [color=limegreen](26 million subscribers) is the nation's largest pay-TV cable network.....Turner had made a fortune in advertising and then built a successful cable-TV news network, CNN, with [color=limegreen]over 70 million subscribers.....The Disney empire, headed by a man described by one media analyst as a "control freak," includes several television production companies (Walt Disney Television, Touchstone Television, Buena Vista Television) and cable networks with more than [color=limegreen]100 million subscribers altogether.....The corporation also controls the Disney Channel, Toon Disney, A&E, Lifetime Television, SOAPnet and the History Channel, with between [color=limegreen]86 and 88 million subscribers each. The ABC Family television network has [color=limegreen]84 million subscribers..... MTV's racially mixed rock and rap videos into [color=limegreen]342 million homes in 140 countries.....The Washington Post Company's various television ventures reach a total of about [color=limegreen]12 million homes.....
A rough estimate shows that 798,000,000 people are influenced by those television networks. 800 million people, but that number is much more actually because some of the numbers say "homes" rather than people, so it's more realistically at least 1 billion.

Print media:

It also owns six daily newspapers and publishes over 20 magazines. Disney Publishing Worldwide publishes books and magazines in 55 languages in 74 countries, reaching more than [color=limegreen]100 million readers each month.....About [color=limegreen]58 million of them are sold (and presumably read) each day.....with a circulation of more than [color=limegreen]35 million copies per week.....The New York Times, with a 2003 circulation of [color=limegreen]1,119,000.....The newspaper has a daily circulation of 732,000, and its Sunday edition sells over [color=limegreen]one million copies......The Wall Street Journal sells [color=limegreen]1,820,000 copies each weekday .....Time, with a weekly circulation of [color=limegreen]4.1 million..... Its weekly circulation is [color=limegreen]3.2 million.....U.S. News & World Report, with a weekly circulation of [color=limegreen]2.0 million
A rough calculation shows that 206,239,000 people are affected by print media that's owned by those networks. However, it doesn't say "people" for a lot of them, maybe more than one person reads the newspaper/magazine. Let's bump it up to 250 million to compensate for that.

So, with the revised number of 1 billion to add extra family members when it says "households" in the statistic, as well as 250 million, that gives us an estimated 1.25 billion people in the world who are influenced by those mainstream media outlets, or ~18% of the world population.

edit on 1-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I agree 100% with what you're saying, but I also want to add another aspect of it.

Journalism school. It all begins in journalism school.

You get kids fresh out of high school who have a genuine love of writing and good, honest journalism. It is that love that is all too often their downfall. Over the course of the next 4-6 years, they are consistently nudged (sometimes pushed) towards the dishonest, shoddy journalism we are familiar with today. They are told, "This is true journalism. This is how it's done. These topics over here are news. Those topics over there are not, and no real journalist would ever give those topics attention."

When I was in journalism school, I had to take a class called "Mass Media Ethics." Every journalism school has such a class. The name may be slightly different, but the overall premise and lessons are relatively the same. In that class we were taught that the ethics of the organization (the editor, publisher, owners) take precedence over all others - even over your own, personal ethics. Now, you can be a rebel and not do it that way. But, good luck finding a job.

This is what journalism students are taught. By the time they graduate, they are so indoctrinated that they don't even question it.

It wasn't always this way. Woodward and Bernstein's Watergate investigation is an excellent example. This is a product of the Corporate Media machine. "Write what we tell you to write. Cover the stories we tell you to cover. Don't ask questions. Just do it, and we'll let you do what you love...or let you pretend to do what you love."

True, honest journalism has been taken hostage.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthChrisious

Don't forget about censorship, in America we complain about how communist countries sensor their media outlets but people forget that censorship in America is as bad.

Censorship is a danger to freedom and free speech, but our government plays in a different way they tag what they don't want the public to know as a threat to national security making sure that they can squash possible whitleblowers.

And people applaud this practices because the media propaganda plays with the public opinion so well.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by soficrow

Exactly, when nobody is tracking the illegal dealings of our own government the people doesn't know how to fight back, by the time we get some whistleblower to tells us that something is wrong and to be aware is usually late.

Yeah. Way too late! ...But we CAN fight back, and repel (oops, repeal?) all the crap.

Do you know how many laws and bills are passed behind citizens in this nation that never get to be scrutinized by us the voters, most of them to work against our rights and pay by corporate and private interest. This laws are to benefit and to profit from the hard working tax payers endorsed by our own whores in congress.

Aw - don't blame the whores. They don't even get the strategy they're supporting.

Because is not media to keep the public informed on what goes on behind our backs in with our government.

We have a few things here and there - and we have the Internet. For a while...

edit on 1/9/11 by soficrow because: wd

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
To make matters even worse...

Watching television, like playing video games, causes the viewer’s brain waves to slip into a hypnotic, post-REM type - or “delta” - sleep. Brainwaves of television viewers are similar to those in deep sleep, though their eyes are still open. While in this state, any number of post-hypnotic suggestions can be implanted in the mind of the viewer, from buying that fancy new car, to going deeper into debt by refinancing their home in order to take a vacation.

Turn the sound off and just watch the background of many television newscasts, or news shows. The wavy, wispy images moving back and forth in the background are designed to hypnotize you and keep you transfixed, “glued” to the TV. Other gimmicks are the scrolling “ticker tape” on the bottom of the screen and lots of snapping and flashing lights. The more there is going on in the picture, the more likely you will be hypnotized by the images
great article

This explains why TV viewers frequently accept without question, much of what TV personalities tell them. The information bypasses ones frontal lobes (the seat of judgement) when one is in a hypnotic state. The dropping of catch phrases and tag lines is a a form of post hypnotic suggestion. TV is the modern day opiate of the masses and the puppeteers know it. It's all about control.

Excellent, important thread. S&F.

They don't call it "programming" by accident.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Thanks to the whores in congress no only information is suppress and kept away from the public, but also anything that affect the profits and interest of the pimps that runs congress.

You know how it is, the media tells us what to buy, what eat, what to see what to avoid and what medications we need.

Anything else is not approved unless the FDA say so and we do not have the freedom of choice to make our own decisions because big brother knows what is best for us.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Check out MaxMars thread: Study shows powerful corporations really do control the world's finances - which means they also control the media and peoples' minds.

Good thread, as is this one. I read that and it got me a thinking. If there's only a few corps that own the media, then how many are there that own the food?

It's pretty similar situation as the media circus. To boot, mostly what they have done is ruined the food supply.

Funny, isn't that what they have also done to the media in this country?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by TheLoony

Good thread, as is this one. I read that and it got me a thinking. If there's only a few corps that own the media, then how many are there that own the food?

It's pretty similar situation as the media circus. To boot, mostly what they have done is ruined the food supply.

Funny, isn't that what they have also done to the media in this country?
Good question. I know there's a big corporation Monsanto that was screwing over farmers earlier, but that's the only big one that I can think of. I'll look around and see what I can find.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Great thread Tupac...

Just goes to show there is a simple solution to all this programming.

Turn off your television!

Or cancel your cable...

Either way, there is alot less stress in your life and YOU can make a change!

We don't have to be programmed!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Good luck with that. It ain't pretty, with Nestle alone at thousands of products, as they are the largest corp in the food business. It gets muddled with Monsanto and other unbio corps doing their thing, holding thousands of patents on life(still can't understand that). It's quite sad how frakked up the food supply is.

If you want some help, I'd say u2u crimvelvet, as he's the food guy here at ATS and I bet he could point you in the right direction. I'd love to see a thread on it. I had thought of doing one but truly didn't even know where to begin. I did a little research and got frazzled and had no idea how to tackle the subject properly.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

reply to post by TheLoony

I was discussing this with my dad over lunch, after a news article in the UK revealed that there can be as much salt in a slice of bread than in a packet of ready salted crisps/chips. What's worse is that the so called healthy breads with nuts and seeds are the worst culprits. So when you think you are taking the healthy choice with a brown nutty/seeded bread you are in fact being given the more unhealthy option. You can't win. Slightly off topic I know, but can be applied to the ownership and control of the media.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Great to see some insight.. Yes for the most part... as design.. keep them blind by what we "Want them to know"
Very simple..

Simpleton's..

The last of intigrity.. went with Walter Cronkite(sp) he knew then news will never be the same when he left seeing this deciet. However he did mention this to those that were to take over if they were paying attention
True reporters are restricted in their profession. Not their first choice ..I presume for the good ones that really see what needs to be known, that really see it would be the hardest part of there job by not expressing the reality.
Like for all of us.. easyer to tell the truth.. then to lie.. What are you seeing?
Choice has been made for you. how is that working for you?

Still not knowing.. that will continue to be our downfall regarding the masses!!
O-well.........................

Jesse

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

have to disagree with your instructions to not watch mainstream media news, my friend. stay informed, stay alert, stay aware: know what 'they' are feeding the masses so that you may intelligently discuss the topics of the day with those you come in contact with. no, i'm not saying watch and believe, not at all. i'm saying people like you and i should know the BS that is being put out to people so that we may be able to present other viewpoints and alternative news that we find from other sources.

know what they are saying so others can know the truth.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

You know I was looking at all the internet articles out covering the Wikileaks release. Nearly every MSM outlet is spinning the story as negative. Nearly every alternative outlet is reporting the actual stories contained in the releases.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

have to disagree with your instructions to not watch mainstream media news, my friend. stay informed, stay alert, stay aware: know what 'they' are feeding the masses so that you may intelligently discuss the topics of the day with those you come in contact with. no, i'm not saying watch and believe, not at all. i'm saying people like you and i should know the BS that is being put out to people so that we may be able to present other viewpoints and alternative news that we find from other sources.

know what they are saying so others can know the truth.
Nah dude I'm not even going to give MSM a chance. Even if you watch their shows with full awareness that it's propaganda, it'll still get through to you. Don't even give them a chance to manipulate your mind.

You don't have to watch MSM to be aware, there are alternative news sites that provide the same information without the intention of brainwashing people into thinking a certain way.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join