It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pima Co. GOP Plans To Raffle Same Type Gun Used to Shoot Rep. Giffords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Pima Co. GOP Plans To Raffle Same Type Gun Used to Shoot Rep. Giffords

abcnews.go.com

“Help Pima County get out the vote and maybe help yourself to a new Glock .45. Get yourself a new Glock 23 .40 cal handgun for just 10 bucks- if your name is draw. That’s right for just 10 dollars this gun could be yours,” reads the Pima GOP’s flyer that was sent to supporters Aug. 26.

The text is followed by a large photo of the handgun and a note that the gun comes with three 12-round magazines.

“We at the Pima GOP regard gun ownership as a constitutional right and an Arizona tradition,” Shaw said. “We’re just standing on the second amendment and we certainly don’t feel like we’re doing something wrong.”

But the former leader of the Pima County GOP told Talking Points Memo disagrees with his predecessor.

“There’s a woman who has a bullet in the brain and who everybody is wishing a full recovery,” Brian Miller, the immediate past chair of the Pima County GOP told TPM. “I don’t think that raffling off a firearm right now is probably the right way to go.”

edit on 1-9-2011 by obummerdeception because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I do not want look too deep into this one,
is this some type of weird twisted joke.
Or a we got you momment?
I did a little research into this and
the present GOP chief claims he never
thought it would raise a firestorm,
but they had a pro-gun Dem on the news buying a ticket.the AZ GOP made the Colt the State's offical gun, but the Pima County GOP says the Glock was left over from last year's raffle.
Jarred was brainwashed into the shooting and this is the coming out party??
I am trying to find the newsletter with the picture.
Maybe this is just not a big deal, they seem to do this raffle a gun thing
almost every year... With or without the Gifford shooting why fix something that is not broke?

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

www.usatoday.com...
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Eh.. Giffords was avidly pro gun. It's a popular gun. It only becomes taboo when people bring attention to it. Let's put it this way.. this is the least outrageous thing I've heard today.
edit on 1-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
Eh.. Giffords was avidly pro gun. It's a popular gun. It only becomes taboo when people bring attention to it. Let's put it this way.. this is the least outrageous thing I've heard today.
edit on 1-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

No one even knew until the good old huffington post
fished it out and made it into a big deal...

I guess the people in the AZ county did not find it all that odd.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's not the gun but the person holding it. I fail to see any problem with this. Lots of people own Glocks that have never shot anyone.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Is it a Glock ,40 cal or .45 cal? It refers to two different guns in the article so maybe it isn't even a true story.

I don't think just because someone was shot with a handgun (although very sad and tragic) it should not muzzle legal gun activity. (little pun there)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
At least MSM came up with another way to distract from
Fast and Furious.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by isitjustme
Is it a Glock ,40 cal or .45 cal? It refers to two different guns in the article so maybe it isn't even a true story.

I don't think just because someone was shot with a handgun (although very sad and tragic) it should not muzzle legal gun activity. (little pun there)

It is a true story, just check out all the extra provided links.

The story from abc is Rogers said the Glock 23 that the GOP plans to raffle off is a more powerful, more easily concealed version of the Glock 19 used to shoot Giffords.

Now a glock 23 is a .40 cal. per here www.usglock.com...

A glock 19 shoots 9mm rounds..

I am still searching for the official flyer from Pima county.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gmoneycricket
Fast and Furious.

I'm not sure what "Fast and Furious" is, I just can't keep up with EVERYTHING, but I agree with you, this type of "news" story is just a distraction piece.

Of COURSE it's in poor taste, but it doesn't TECHNICALLY break any rules, so that is the FIRST place the GOP wants to be. They're scum.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DieBravely

Fast and Furious.

I'm not sure what "Fast and Furious" is, I just can't keep up with EVERYTHING, but I agree with you, this type of "news" story is just a distraction piece.

Of COURSE it's in poor taste, but it doesn't TECHNICALLY break any rules, so that is the FIRST place the GOP wants to be. They're scum.

Why are the GOP only scum?

A dem. from Pima county bought one of these gun raffle tickets.

Don't attack the messenger.

The story is up to anyone to percieve it as they wish.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Glock has become a 4 letter word it seems. Its just a brand of gun, one of many out there. Glocks aren't factory equipped with the 33rd magazines that Loughner used, which seems to be what so many anti gun critics envision. The particular brand or appearance of the weapon doesn't make it any more deadly than another brand or style. Glocks are black and gun haters are afraid of black guns, no matter what type. If I had to pick, I would rather have someone who has never fired a weapon before shooting at me with a Glock 9mm with 33rd magazines than a expert shooting at me with a .357 magnum revolver with 6rds, but thats just me. I think I'm one of those nuts that still thinks that people kill people, not guns. As far as I know, the gun that Gifford's shooter used was purchased legally, but legal in Arizona is a little different than other states. I live in the only state that has no provision for a civilian to carry a weapon concealed or openly displayed. I have to tell you, there is no shortage of guns for criminals to get their hands on here. Often, it seems as though criminals are the only ones armed. Someone intent on causing harm will find a way to do it. If Giffords was attacked with a katana sword, would we be criticizing the size of kitchen knives? The timing and location of this raffle may be a little soon and a little to close to home for some, but life goes on. Maybe if someone in that crowd also was armed, they could have neutralized the threat before he was able to shoot so many people. Giffords was not the only person shot that day, but apparently the only victim with a high enough profile for anyone to still be talking about. I promise, if she was just a random person, it would not have been a national story except for maybe on the day it happened.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Well, it's not like they're selling it with the extended clip, with Jared Loughner's signature on it, with a picture of his mugshot taped to the side. That would be ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by filosophia
Well, it's not like they're selling it with the extended clip, with Jared Loughner's signature on it, with a picture of his mugshot taped to the side. That would be ridiculous.

Giffords did not die which is extremly lucky,
other people did die, and everyone is forgetting
that fact. I have read no where that the families of the
people who did die have came out outraged.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I thought it was proved that Jarad had posted to ATS, so the
People should arise and condemn ATS, same as the model gun that was used.
We were a tool in the event just as the gun.
The GOP and DEMS use the same internet as he did.
Where do you draw the line?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

I thought it was proved that Jarad had posted to ATS, so the
People should arise and condemn ATS, same as the model gun that was used.
We were a tool in the event just as the gun.
The GOP and DEMS use the same internet as he did.
Where do you draw the line?

Yes it was found that he did in fact have a
few post on ATS. I agree the line must be drawn
somewhere, if they raffle a gun every year, and both
the GOP and the DEM. hold these gun raffles, what would
make this year any different. The raffle is a big hit every year.
Palin even got dragged into this for some target in a paper.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I am an Arizona Native and support this 100%. I am 51% liberal and 49% conservative. Mainly because I do not have the money to care about what the G.O.P. cares about, and I have a bleeding heart for those in need. That aside, Arizona is a huge "right to bear arms" state. I am a proud gun owner and concealed weapons permit holder, and own 2 Glocks plus others. Why not raffle off a Glock, people love them and they are relatively cheap compared to other quality firearms. Plus , who knows, this raffled Glock could end up saving someone's life someday. What happened to Giffords was horrible and cruel, and I hope they get Loughner competent enough to put him under the jail. But this should not stop the rest of us from exercising our right to bear arms and protect ourselves and our families. If this raffle has been done in the past it should be allowed now and in the future. Lock and Load and hope you don't have to pull the trigger someday.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I live in District 8 Pima County
Sometimes it gets hard watching everyone else express their feelings
across the country, and she was not even their Representative.
We have the news here all the time telling us how to feel,
but never hitting the streets and asking the people how they feel.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Its just the way they are here

Chester Manning for Pima County Sheriff
Protection, Not Politics
Machine Gun Shoot October 29th!
We're hosting a fundraiser machine gun shoot
at the Marana Shooting Club on October 29th from 10AM to 2PM.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
They're raffling off a gun and to interest they're giving away a crappy, cheaply made, well-known brand instead of a crappy, cheaply made, no name brand. This could be a can of Del Monte corn instead of Better Value. No need to read anything into it, except they have crappy taste in guns.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
They're raffling off a gun and to interest they're giving away a crappy, cheaply made, well-known brand instead of a crappy, cheaply made, no name brand. This could be a can of Del Monte corn instead of Better Value. No need to read anything into it, except they have crappy taste in guns.

/TOA

Well I wonder what would be a gun
they can raffle that TOA would approve of?

For ten bucks, you probably can not get a crappy gun.

I wonder if they check if the people buying the raffle ticket are
eligible to have a gun?

Either way, if you know you can not own a gun, you should not be buying a raffle ticket in the first place.
Cheapo's probably hoping the person who bought the winning ticket can't even have it.
So they can recycle it for next year...

new topics

top topics

join