It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

New SAS NH - 90 Stealth Helicopters

page: 2
0
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekial
What makes this helicopter stealthy?

rotors tilted. stealth paint and design. basically everything that went into the comanche.




posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by Ezekial
What makes this helicopter stealthy?

rotors tilted. stealth paint and design. basically everything that went into the comanche.


It doesn't look stealthy at all. As for using Comanche technology, I can't see Boeing willing to share its secrets. Looks like any other ordinary helicopter.

From the first post it said that it shields its electronic transmissions well, nothing about radar or sound invisibilty. So it's not really a ' stealth ' helicopter.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by mad scientist]



posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist


It doesn't look stealthy at all. As for using Comanche technology, I can't see Boeing willing to share its secrets. Looks like any other ordinary helicopter.

From the first post it said that it shields its electronic transmissions well, nothing about radar or sound invisibilty. So it's not really a ' stealth ' helicopter.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by mad scientist]

nethier did the comanche.
anyway it might be really quiet.



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Sticks out like dogs balls to me. But tilted rotors will make it easier for the SAS to sneak up on a building.



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I was under the impression that all helicopter rotors have tilt or pitch.



posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
I was under the impression that all helicopter rotors have tilt or pitch.

no they tilt the blades at like a certain angle so that it is quiet.



posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Helicopter rotors operate at a constant speed.

The only thing that changes is the pitch of the blades to provide lift.

Tilt of the rotors to provide propulsion.

Increased weight of the aircraft causes more pitch, more flapping noise.

Longer blades cause more noise because end of the blades is going ever fast. Fatter blades cause instable drag. Shorter blades need faster RPMs.

Very difficult to make transport helicopter silent.



posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
There`s no way in hell that the SAS CRW wing will use this for anything other the transporting the team and equipment to and from holding areas around Uk bases.This aircraft is useless for any other purpose than Transporting.May well be used for other operational requirements within the Service as with other regualar units.
I don`t think we will see teams decending from it without hostiles noticing



posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
uhh dude firstly the ONLY transport helicopter really is the lynx. and that doesnt hold many men.
now unless you want to go in with just a 7.62 machine gun on your chooper then you might want this helicopter.



posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
uhh dude firstly the ONLY transport helicopter really is the lynx. and that doesnt hold many men.
now unless you want to go in with just a 7.62 machine gun on your chooper then you might want this helicopter.




The Lynx is not a transport heli.



posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
the lynx IS a transport helicopter thats why the military use it to transport troops especially the RN, can be armed with two sets of missiles/rockets on the sides or two torpedos.



posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
the lynx IS a transport helicopter thats why the military use it to transport troops especially the RN, can be armed with two sets of missiles/rockets on the sides or two torpedos.



The Lynx is officially described as a Multi purpose helicoptor.It`s main role within the Army is as an Anti Tank platform,fire supprt,casualty evacuation and section Taxi
.Transport Helicoptors are the Puma,Chinook ,Sea King.With a max load of ten men and not much room for equipment useless as a Transport Heli.



posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo



The Lynx is officially described as a Multi purpose helicoptor.It`s main role within the Army is as an Anti Tank platform,fire supprt,casualty evacuation and section Taxi
.Transport Helicoptors are the Puma,Chinook ,Sea King.With a max load of ten men and not much room for equipment useless as a Transport Heli.

its a multi purpose but it preforms transport duties. in the navy its an anti sub/anti ship (aye right!) and transport helicopter. its not useless its quite good for SF, now our lads are set into 8 men that leaves enough room for kit as well.



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In my experience (UK PARA). I would use any Lynx available to transport a section quickly and stealthily (our AAC pilots would routinely fly at ~5-10m above a river going down a valley). As mentioned before, they technically are transport belly-poppers........but only at the section level. Since SAS have smaller sections, they could surely fit a lot more equipment in there.

BTW - we would get eight men, fully loaded Bergen, 2 x LAW (and laterly a minimi instead of one of the LSW). Since SAS work in smaller units, they could be packed up to their eyeballs with kit.

And, as hose AAC pilos would love to tell us EVERY time we were onboard......"fastest non-fixed wing aeroplane in the world".

[edit on 10-9-2004 by LongDongSilver]



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   

That mostly died with the invention of the accurate Firearm. Along with bright colored uniforms.




As for "stealth", a helicopter is about as stealthy as smacking someone with a 2X4 is subtle.....



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I take your point. i was referring to stealthy as in radar signature. at 5-10m above sea level............you have to be on top of the radar before you are seen.



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
At nearly 30years old and with a questionable reliability it is time to change.SAS CRW haven`t used the Lynx for years.As for the NH-90 it`s to big to replace the role of the Lynx it`s replacing the aging Puma`s.There are no current plans to replace the role the Lynx has other than the Anti Tank role.



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   
questionable realiability? every navy pilot i spoke to and every engineer said it was a great aircraft.
also yes it would replace the puma nothing can replace the lynx excep the super lynx.
and it is fastest most agile and manovourable helicopter in the world.
yes and 30 years old and yet nothing can catch it.



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
In 2000 the whole fleet was grounded due to rotor faults.in 1999 three dead downed in Leicestershire.2002 two dead in downed in the Atlantic.febuary 2004 downed in the Antartic.And yesterday in Czech republic.All except the last were due to aircraft failer not pilot error.
The MOD should start reviewing a suitable replacement to the Lynx sooner rather than later.Just cos it`s in the British Army/Navy doesn`t make it the best.



posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by weirdo
In 2000 the whole fleet was grounded due to rotor faults.in 1999 three dead downed in Leicestershire.2002 two dead in downed in the Atlantic.febuary 2004 downed in the Antartic.And yesterday in Czech republic.All except the last were due to aircraft failer not pilot error.
The MOD should start reviewing a suitable replacement to the Lynx sooner rather than later.Just cos it`s in the British Army/Navy doesn`t make it the best.
thats probably due to an old made aircraft.
now its a perfectly good aircraft.what i want proof the whole fleet was grounded cause i rem seeing them flying in 2000.
also it might be a technical fault OR conditions. now the US navy is losing ospreys every time they fly are they changeing it?
dont doubt this aircraft,it is perfectly good.
and its in the british army and the RN because they recognise some good helicopters.



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join