It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel's force criticised in flotilla report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Israel's force criticised in flotilla report

www.stuff.co.nz

A long-awaited UN report on an Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound ship that killed nine Turks declares that Israel's naval blockade of the Gaza Strip was legal, but the Jewish state used unreasonable force.

The report, made public Thursday, said Israeli commandos faced "organised and violent resistance from a group of passengers" in the incident last year.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
As some said and were promptly howled down on here - the rules for a naval blockade do allow them to stop ships on the high seas and search them - there has never been any actual doubt about that except from the masses who do not bother with rational discussion or what such international law as does exist says!

So be prepared to see Israel continue to LEGALLY stop and search ships heading for Gaza - even thought they ahve greatly loosened the blockade.

Hopefully both sides will calm down now and get to make their points without anyone having to be killed!

www.stuff.co.nz
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

As some said and were promptly howled down on here - the rules for a naval blockade do allow them to stop ships on the high seas and search them - there has never been any actual doubt about that except from the masses who do not bother with rational discussion or what such international law as does exist says!

And as many have said on all sides of the debate, "Who believes what the UN says anyway??"

All sides are guilty of quoting the UN when it suits and condemning them when it doesn't.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Obviously the sides quoting the UN cae about what it says - or else why would they both quoting it??!!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Obviously the sides quoting the UN cae about what it says - or else why would they both quoting it??!!

Well in the case of the Flotilla event, I have seen some UN bodies calling the land and naval blockades illegal..
Shall we believe them or the UN body that you just quoted??

I'd say a "true" UN opinion would only come if a FULL vote of members was taken, oh and minus the BS veto vote.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

As I understand it, this report is the "official" UN report having investigated the situation at some length - I don't know whether it has to be "accepted" by a vote of any sort or not.

Anything prior to his can only be seen as individual parts of the UN giving their opinions based on whatever information they had at the time.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The UN is useless and is not in charge of the world as some people think. When Communist countries sit on the top levels, why would anyone take them seriously?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Thanks, backinblack. You said something I'm interested in, about the illegality of the naval blockade. I've done some digging (maybe not enough), and the only thing I can find is that the head of the human rights commision, thinks its illegal, and a three member fact-finding team from that same commison thought so, too

Well in the case of the Flotilla event, I have seen some UN bodies calling the land and naval blockades illegal..
Shall we believe them or the UN body that you just quoted??

Could you please tell me some of the bodies that have reached the conclusion of illegality? I'm assuming you have several.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Well half of the UN panel that wrote the OP's report for a start.

Turkish panelist Ozdem Sanberk, in a separate appendix, disputed that the blockade was legal or that the flotilla had acted wrongly. "I reject and dissociate myself from the relevant parts and paragraphs of the report," he wrote.

But then the panel appears to be made up of only 4 members, 2 Israelis and 2 Turks..
Sounds like a scam to me....

In comments that considerably weakened the force of the report, the Israeli and Turkish members of the four-man panel that wrote it said they disagreed with key findings. The Turkish panelist dissociated himself from some conclusions.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

1 of 4 is now “half” ???

and where does it say that the panel is made up by 2 Israelis and 2 Turkish?
Palmer is a former NZ Prime Minister.
Alvaro Uribe is the president of Colombia. (heavily criticized of severe human rights abuses, illegal surveillance and harassment of human rights)
the other two are Israeli and Turkish.

Jeeeez...learn to read before spreading nonsenses.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by gravitational

1 of 4 is now “half” ???

and where does it say that the panel is made up by 2 Israelis and 2 Turkish?
Palmer is a former NZ Prime Minister.
Alvaro Uribe is the president of Colombia. (heavily criticized of severe human rights abuses, illegal surveillance and harassment of human rights)
the other two are Israeli and Turkish.

Jeeeez...learn to read before spreading nonsenses.

Ah me bad.

So basically the Turk was railroaded..
A rights abuser, a western pollie and an Israeli..
What an unbiased bunch..

Why not an Arab???
Guess we know the answer to that.

top topics

join