It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS suggestions.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I could not find a thread or board that simply has user input on the site and ways to make ATS better/aka suggestions (so this is probably a board for this).

I would like to see a third set of forums beyond ATS and BTS. I want a third set that has scientific and really important/relevant info in it. Above general chit chat, To Chat. and Structured (scientific/proof/links)

I'd like to be able to see who stared/flagged my posts/threads. I will magically have new stars show up, but it takes hours to find where it came from.

I would also like there to be temporary bans for users that are acting out. The user is probably very upset. A temporary ban would allow them to cool down, and it would be a big suggestion to walk away. This might also help the issue of new user accounts created by banned users. It would also postpone a fight a user wants to start. Just say, hey walk away...com back later. Chill.

Well I guess those are my thoughts. What are your thoughts on my suggestions? Do you have any of your own?

Get your post on...

PS/Edit~This doesn't sound like much of a rant on second thoughts. I'm not swearing enough to make this a rant

Edit 2~ I am posting this because I love ATS. I want to see it grow and prosper.

Edit 3-4~thread re-name.
edit on 1-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I sort of agree, but i really liked the first half of your post, a scientific FACTS forum.

Things that are posted there are ABSOLUTLY 100% true, that would be sort of refreshing.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by adraves
I could not find a thread or board that simply has user input on the site and ways to make ATS better/aka suggestions (so this is probably a board for this).

ATS Board Business & Questions

I would like to see a third set of forums beyond ATS and BTS. I want a third set that has scientific and really important/relevant info in it.
Not above, nor below, but right back here on the solid dirt.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea.

I'd like to be able to see who stared/flagged my posts/threads. I will magically have new stars, but it cold take hours to find where it came from.
I am curious too sometimes, but you really shouldn't waste time trying to find out who.

I would like there be temporary bans for users that are acting out.

I think that does actually happen. I have seen others', who have gotten banned, and then being back a few days later. I have only noticed that a couple times, but each time, it was with members who had been around for awhile. I assume it may involve some behind the scenes apologizing, but idk.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
Things that are posted there are ABSOLUTLY 100% true, that would be sort of refreshing.

Like what exactly
even the existence of gravity can and will be debated.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I sort of agree, but i really liked the first half of your post, a scientific FACTS forum.

God I would love that. It can be so confusing to go through some of the posts here. Having a separate category would make power users, and well thought out posts that are worth reading, readily available. It could be the backbone of ATS. We could say look at this! It isn't all cranks!

PS/EDIT~More suggestions less talking!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Users cannot post in the link you gave. I tried to post this in board business....no go.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Versa

Like what exactly
even the existence of gravity can and will be debated.

if its debated against in a constructional way and it makes sense then topics can be deleted or praised as per the forum limits.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Well they have a temporary post ban. You can only send u2u's and pot on your wall at that time. I brought that up because many users get defensive and confrontational at times. They need to just walk away. The user needs to get a screen that says that, and something along the lines of "come back later, calm down.".

PS/Edit~I think it would prevent a lot of stress on some users and definitely on the mods.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I most certainly support your idea of a temporary ban. Why throw someone out that may have good ideas but who may have gotten overly vulgar during a heated discussion?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruePatriot1685
I most certainly support your idea of a temporary ban. Why throw someone out that may have good ideas but who may have gotten overly vulgar during a heated discussion?

Exactly! We all can have our own *special* moments, and having a temporary ban would force the user to collect themselves before replying to anything. The user is upset, angry, then a mod steps in, and the user gets post banned. Well, that will only upset the user more. Then the user sees that they can still send u2u's (and post on their wall), and the user, being so mad, will take advantage and rage/rant. Why not block obviously upset people from everything for a set time limit? It would help both users and mods in the long run.

Why not force a user to walk it off so to speak?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
All right people. I am not trying to be mean, but less arguing and more constructive criticism is needed here.

This thread is going to get deleted if you can't be civil about this. Criticize, give suggestions, comment, and complain. Don't argue please!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I was typing this as General Chit Chat when I noticed your post.

How many on ATS are tipped? And have you ever regretted it?

I got to admit, I love ATS and you…the community, ya make me think. However, in the past, at times I have had one too many and allow my emotions to flow. Not always a good thing, ya know? Too much of a “good” thing leads to a closed mind.

I’m curious as to how many of you have posted something, which you regretted later? Or at last worded differently. I’ve seen it before on the various forums and have seen apologies posted from both sides.

But there are those who just refuse to listen to the other side of the argument.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by adraves

I was typing this as General Chit Chat when I noticed your post.

How many on ATS are tipped? And have you ever regretted it?

I got to admit, I love ATS and you…the community, ya make me think. However, in the past, at times I have had one too many and allow my emotions to flow. Not always a good thing, ya know? Too much of a “good” thing leads to a closed mind.

I’m curious as to how many of you have posted something, which you regretted later? Or at last worded differently. I’ve seen it before on the various forums and have seen apologies posted from both sides.

But there are those who just refuse to listen to the other side of the argument.

Well I can honestly say I do post more when I am tipped. I am also more likely to do stupid things. That in mind, this is even more support for temporary bans (the mods do not know what state the user is in, make the user walk away). Maybe the ban page should say: "Drink some water, get some sleep, come back tomorrow!"

I have posted many a post I regret later. We do not need to get into that though.

Regardless, any suggestions of your own?

Edit~Why did you decide to post here about being tipped? I can see the connection, but I would like to hear it in your own words.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by adraves

I got slapped for violating T&C early on. I was a bit buzzed at the time. One of the reasons I like ATS is that they have rules involving etiquette.

Being a old Soldier and having the habit of dropping "F" bombs and other vulgarities at the drop of a hat, I realized that if I were to converse in a civil manner, I would have to change my vocabulary.

Nowadays, most times, though not always, when I see a post that irks me, I do push-ups, sit-ups or some sort of exercise until it is out of me.

I usually comment on the political, military or survival forums as that is what I know. The rest of the forums I read to learn, with the occasional comment.

Hell....I'm getting back into shape at least.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I used to do that sort of thing too (situps and pushups when I was stressed/angry). Not every user will want to just walk away and exercise though...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

reply to post by TDawgRex

I used to do that sort of thing too (situps and pushups when I was stressed/angry). Not every user will want to just walk away and exercise though...

Keep it up...it's not a bad thing.

I'm now fitting in clothes I couldn't wear a year ago. That saves me money. And that is a good thing as well with this economy.

Who would have thunk ATS is a fitness site.

edit on 1-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I just noticed this~
On the ALERT! page aka "POST ALERT FORM: Serious Terms & Conditions Violation"

There is a typo in the text box. The default message in the box is:
"Complaint aboout post:"

Just thought I would throw this in with my other suggestions. Aboout time.
edit on 2-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Users cannot post in the link you gave. I tried to post this in board business....no go.

You are mistaken, but I am not sure how or why.

Try again. Look for the forum yourself, by going through the 'Forums Tab' ↑; about halfway down the page; it is the first forum (top left), of the 'Information & General Topics' section.

This I know, because I am just a normal member, yet I can post there.

There are a couple privileges that cannot be accessed until your post count reaches 200, but I did not think that the 'Board and Questions Forum' was not one of those. Makes no sense for it to be, and I am pretty sure that I used it before I had 200 posts. I could be mistaken on that detail, but regardless, it is the forum to use for suggestions.

There is a typo in the text box. The default message.....
Just thought I would through this in with my other suggestions.
There are typos everywhere. Honestly, I think that some people just do not care.

A recent example is pointed out in this post. Not exactly the same, but there are similarities. There are a couple other more permanent examples that I have also noticed, aside from the 'aboout.' Drives me nuts too.

There is something that you seem to be overlooking. All of these suggestions, that you are throwing around, are not being thrown in the right direction. Nobody that could, or would, do anything to properly assist you with these issues, even knows about them.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

I have over 200 posts, so that shouldn't be the issue. I did try to post there, and it said I didn't have the authority. Oh well, a mod can move this if there is a problem. This seemed like the next logical place to try.

I know I pointed out a single misspell, but it is a misspell programed into the site, not a post. I am not attacking the site or any posters on here.

Anymore constructive criticism? I'm just throwing the idea out there

Edit~And for some of us typo nazis, pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes, that are part of the site, isn't a bad thing. We are just trying to make this site 110% If the site has misspelled words, we should point it out, and get it fixed.
edit on 2-9-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by adraves

My brain hadn't woke up yet. Looked at your numbers/stats wrong. Still doesn't make sense though. Shouldn't matter either way, but have you tried to reply to another thread in that forum, or were you just trying to start your own?

I know I pointed out a single misspell, but it is a misspell programed into the site, not a post. I am not attacking the site or any posters on here.

You may have slightly taken me the wrong way on that one. Yes, I did toss in the subtle correction, which you obviously noticed. I suppose that may have contained a bit of sarcasm, but for the most part, I was agreeing with you. The typo's really do drive me nuts. I have noticed other permanent ones, similar to the 'aboout.' I really do think that some people just don't care, even after it has been pointed out to them.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join