It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Survivalists in the UK Southwest

page: 2
5
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


Sounds like a plan hehe ready and waiting


Power in numbers, but bring your own coffee lmao




posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit
Great! I hope it's never needed.


I'm working my plans around leaving the car behind, I'd imagine fuel shortages weeks before it got real bad, so I'm working on getting as much stuff as small as possible so I can carry it.
I've started to collect seeds too, veg and herbs and stuff like that.

I'm thinking very seriously of ordering a longbow too, about £800 for a good one.


Can you use one? Longbow is rather large (although carrying one, you would look VERY British....and awesome)
Maybe a smaller compound bow or crossbow. I have a crossbow, doesn't take any skill.



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Looking at compound crossbows right now. Seems a valid, silent option for now. Missus cant quite get her head around the idea but hey thats what I am for

edit on 1-9-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller
Looking at compound crossbows right now. Seems a valid, silent option for now. Missus cant quite get her head around the idea but hey thats what I am for

edit on 1-9-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)


Just say what I say.
"It's not paranoid luv, It's prepared" The I bombard her with information.
I did start her of easy the other day with Zeitgeist...



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


But she is an angry French Canadian and beats up on me if I try and confuse her lol
I try and talk about things like this when she is falling asleep lol, kind brain washing but below 40 degree's hehe



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 

I was thinking of the ability to fletch your own arrows, is that easy with bolts? I mean you may not always be able to retrieve them.



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Yeah don't see why not. As long as they're aerodynamic



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller
 


It's not an easy thing to do is it. Sometimes i feel like breaking out the tinfoil hats and handing them round, whilst rocking and muttering about alien invasion.lol



posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


Haven't tried that one yet, found some funny end of world simulated broadcasts on You Tube that keeps them on their toes. You know the ones that look like real News Bulletins about UFOs and Zombies but are obviously not real hehe

You should try it



Got my son a good one with this lmao






posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
What does a UK survivalist do about weapons and self defense?


He / She applies for them via a form the police give out (or download it online).
The shotgun is easy to apply for, it's the rifled ammunition weapons that's a pain in the ass to get.
edit on 1-9-2011 by WatchRider because: grammer edit



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


I'm in Brighton ,I have a small kit for an emergency escape and a larger for hiding in the woods type set up with the family bell tent, burner and supplies. A long bow is next on my list as a crossbow seems heavy and needs maintenance. I've read some of the American guys survival stuff and they recommend bows over crossbows.I have all my tin foil hats at the ready, the wife has started down the conspiracy line . Like someone said ,start them on zeitgeist and then move to a conspiracy for beginners type example 9/11 is a good example ,that normally sets em up for a question authority and reality, then a desert of spirit science will finish em off and a tin foil hat is then kept in the handbag. I'm hoping for a more spiritual awakening a rise in conscience and during this chaos some people will see and feel it and some people will just loot Iceland and currys and start eating each other, so I'd rather be hiding in the woods for a few weeks getting used to my new 5 th dimentional light body and new physic abilities whilst the world goes mad for a bit. Big up the British loonies crew. Whoop whoop.



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftyMedi
Just wondered if anyone was in the Southwest UK who's similar minded on here?


Brighton area mate, but happy to chat...


What I would say is check out some of DaddyBare & semperfortis posts on here, these guys know what they are talking about, some great tips for kit, and some cracking bush craft skills.

edit on 2-9-2011 by Wo0kiEE because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


Hi, I'm in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. I have been creating an emergency stockpile telling the missus it's for 'camping' but it's taking over our airing cupboard and she is starting to think I'm going crazy (or planning on going camping for several years!! LOL).

I like the idea of having a bow for defence - I'm going to look in to that.

The only problem I see is if the SHTF in winter - I can't really afford a complete winter survivalist tent, clothing etc.

My first plan of action when SHTF is to take a group of 'survivors' to raid and occupy a major supermarket distribution centre - that should keep us going for a while.

I am also collecting vegetable seeds which may come in useful depending on what type of catastrophe hits

Anyway, glad to know I have fellow planner around me - we should have some sort of symbol/badge that we can wear so we can identify each other once we are in survival mode so we don't end up putting an arrow through each other!!



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AmunRa23
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 


Hi, I'm in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. .

My first plan of action when SHTF is to take a group of 'survivors' to raid and occupy a major supermarket distribution centre - that should keep us going for a while.



firstly, I was born in Cheltenham =0)

now onto the topic,


I kinda like the idea of occupying a supermarket, but... if the SHTF it's likely to be a EMP which will kill all power so staying in a supermarket with rotten food, & everything going off will not be a good idea, maybe raiding it and taking tins, cup a soups etc: would be a better idea. With seeds you have to be prepared for the seeds not taking, having a pants harvest one time, & you will also need somewhere safe to grow them without fear of people raiding you.

Fuel for cars will go really quickly so you will need to travel on foot, I actually suggest getting a decent Mountain Bike with Paniers. As for BOWS, these guys do some good ones.

Make sure you have a decent knife or 2 and sharpening stones, a dull blade is a waste of time.

Just my opinion



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I know this bushcraft show has been.....but it was down in the SW
www.wildernessgathering.co.uk...
There was also one previous to this up in Windermere for us in the NW....so mad finances just couldn't be put together as the kids wanted to go.
www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk...

The best tip I read was this, it's all very well having all this stuff, but have you actually tried it out? For example, have you tried bugging out in your own home say for a week end with no power, water etc? Have you actually taken yourself off, not camping, but to a remote place and done 'wild camping'? That way you can see what works, whether you need it, and what's missing.

As to archery, up here we have this
www.bowmen.org...
I am hoping to get on their next course as their advice is NOT to just buy a longbow as it has to be of certain weight and is determined by your height too. Anyways, have a look at the web site.

www.ludlowsurvivors.com...
This isa long established group by the looks of it.....might be useful.

Will be watching this thread with interest.
Rainbows
Jane



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
We're gonna go camping in Febuary next year to see how we cope in the Winter. Got my thermal longjohns and undershirt already.
My Dad used to be a roofer a few years ago and in the winter, he always wore think tights underneath his jeans. He said you'd never get cold legs that way. He had an accident where he fell of a roof which was 3 floors high and the first thing he asked (screamed) before paramedics got there was "Get my f****** tights off first"

Oh my first tip on here.
Put tights in your BOB. Good for wearing and straining water.


edit on 2/9/2011 by ShiftyMedi because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel

The best tip I read was this, it's all very well having all this stuff, but have you actually tried it out? For example, have you tried bugging out in your own home say for a week end with no power, water etc? Have you actually taken yourself off, not camping, but to a remote place and done 'wild camping'? That way you can see what works, whether you need it, and what's missing.



Problem with the bit about taking yourself off into the wilds is if you aren't already prep'd and something goes wrong you are knackered. I totally agree with you about trying your stuff out. But it's also worth doing lots of research & listening to the guys on here, DaddyBare & semperfortis are seriously on their game so check out there posts in the Survival forum. Also they do a show every week I think available on YouTube. some great info in these.

Stay safe



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
I know this bushcraft show has been.....but it was down in the SW
www.wildernessgathering.co.uk...
There was also one previous to this up in Windermere for us in the NW....so mad finances just couldn't be put together as the kids wanted to go.
www.thebushcraftshow.co.uk...

The best tip I read was this, it's all very well having all this stuff, but have you actually tried it out? For example, have you tried bugging out in your own home say for a week end with no power, water etc? Have you actually taken yourself off, not camping, but to a remote place and done 'wild camping'? That way you can see what works, whether you need it, and what's missing.

As to archery, up here we have this
www.bowmen.org...
I am hoping to get on their next course as their advice is NOT to just buy a longbow as it has to be of certain weight and is determined by your height too. Anyways, have a look at the web site.

www.ludlowsurvivors.com...
This isa long established group by the looks of it.....might be useful.

Will be watching this thread with interest.
Rainbows
Jane



When i say camping, i dont really mean glamping. We go to a "campsite" in Chepstow. It's basically a field but they allow campfires. I tell everyone else we're going "camping" because if I told them we were going to live under a tree for a long weekend then they would think i'm crazy. Sad world we live in, that I can't prep in my own way.



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 



Have to say it's incredibly hard to prep when no-one around you thinks the same, or thinks you are nuts, luckily my daughters have both taken an interest in outdoor survival, so that's helping me in suggesting kits etc: Doesn't help when some of the great places to get kit from are so expensive though. Found a great BOB online last night £122 with a few bits n pieces already in it. as a starter for 10. but don't ship to UK. The same bag, without the kit was almost £140 here.

I guess best places to get kit from are the expo's

And when you start looking into Bow's you also looking at adding a huge cost to your kit. I think you can buy a compound bow/x-bow as long as you over 18.

If the SHTF I'm not looking at staying UK side anyways, going to make my way elsewhere, mind you we do have some great places in Scotland to Bug out to. (cold, but excellent for food sources)



posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wo0kiEE
reply to post by ShiftyMedi
 



Have to say it's incredibly hard to prep when no-one around you thinks the same, or thinks you are nuts, luckily my daughters have both taken an interest in outdoor survival, so that's helping me in suggesting kits etc: Doesn't help when some of the great places to get kit from are so expensive though. Found a great BOB online last night £122 with a few bits n pieces already in it. as a starter for 10. but don't ship to UK. The same bag, without the kit was almost £140 here.

I guess best places to get kit from are the expo's

And when you start looking into Bow's you also looking at adding a huge cost to your kit. I think you can buy a compound bow/x-bow as long as you over 18.

If the SHTF I'm not looking at staying UK side anyways, going to make my way elsewhere, mind you we do have some great places in Scotland to Bug out to. (cold, but excellent for food sources)


You shouldn't buy a premade BOB. I've had loads of fun putting mine together. It's alot cheaper that way and you know what you've got in it. Because you bought individual items yourself, you know what it is. How it works and durability. That way you can test individual items and replace if they are no good.
Leave the premade BOB's to the paranoid.
We're prepared!







 
5
<< 1    3  4 >>

log in

join