It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Qouth The Raven

(i persoanlly can't verify) but this was who it is as sent to me in a U2U

SCL Productions Inc.
P.O. Box 49464
Atlanta, Georgia 30359
US

Registrar: DOTSTER
Domain Name: IAMTHEEYE.COM
Created on: 28-MAY-11
Expires on: 28-MAY-12
Last Updated on: 28-MAY-11

Administrative, Technical Contact:
Management, Domain [email protected]
SCL Productions Inc.
P.O. Box 49464
Atlanta, Georgia 30359
US
770-355-4332

Mods if i am not allowed to give out this info (which is publically available BTW) please delete this comment and not the post/thread

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This sort of thing is all about creating linkbacks to sales websites to try to fool search engines. Im pretty sure its useless for google but works on other search engines. What the scammers do is, they scrap websites that use common software like forum software or stuff like yahoo answers. Mix it up alot with random names times and dates so it looks like the content is flowing to the search engines who check back each day for changes from a blog. So like for example..

1> They make a blog website.
2> They scrape content off ATS forums
3> They import the scraped data into a database and forward date the responses from a long thread so they get 2 or 3 posts a day
4> They link each page of their posts to their real business websites
5> The search engines check their 10 or 20 blog sites they have made (all on web servers with different IP ranges)
6> Their business sites get better search engine ratings because a blogs with lots of content that is visibly updated daily.
7> These websites might have 20 back linked blogs all doing this on various popular subjects.

So as you can see, this sort of things pretty lame, but its evidently making people money.

The web hosting companys that sell '20 sites on different IP Ranges' are targetting this market and profiteering. The domain selling places are making moneys. People who make blog software such as word press etc are making money from it. And guys are selling the idea to businesses.

I dont know how well it actually words, but i've read about this, its banned by Google, you can get your site delisted for doing it (assuming its provable).

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Qouth The Raven

The link on my last post is still working, if you need it.

I am a bit confused here as well. I think it may be a bot as another member suggested.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Gravity215

Thanks G..

nice to know that...

how they make money off that though..

I have no clue..

I ain't buying any of there stuff..

are you?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
It's pretty easy to find out what site it is! Hell, I saw it before the original post was even let loose.
something needs to be done!
And why should prevention by ATS mods even be questioned?
This should be taken care of by you guys, we come here for a reason!
Not to let our words be ripped of by others!

After all, we dont take other's posts and words and post them on here!
This site is awsome, and imho the best, but when info is being taken from here it's BS, especially when it's ATSs' members own posts!

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by baddmove
reply to post by Gravity215

Thanks G..

nice to know that...

how they make money off that though..

I have no clue..

I ain't buying any of there stuff..

are you?

pay per click

I imagine SkepticOverlord will handle this as soon as he is made aware. I posted what ATS' (and other's) legal policies are with respect to this on page three and an example (one of many) on page four where something similiar has happened before here. Never heard of what Gravity215 has said, so this may be a new way to circumvent the copyright system. Be interesting to see what SO/Springer have to say about this and what happens.
edit on Thu Sep 1 2011 by Rren because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Here is an example i found of a quick search on a blog of people talking about it as 'a web marketing method'

Marketing Forum Talks about back link Scamming

The product they are talking about is one of those places that sells the robot scraping and database software for wordpress called MSN Loophole.

Have a read, its disgusting.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
WOW! OP Star and Flag, I stopped coming to ATS all the time because I was having a problem posting some pictures of some kind of ufo so I was asked to download the pictures to another website so the mod could have a better look at them and upload them for me so I did I was then asked by a mod if I could get some video of this thing I told them I think I can and I did about 2 or 3 weeks later I came home right after to upload the video just to find out I couldn't even get to picture because the log in had been changed so I tried to get help so I could get in and upload the video several times to this day I can't do it and no mod has messaged me back about it.

A friend of mine was also trying to make a thread on ATS I can't say what its about or this will for sure get deleted to but they keep taking it off and it was breaking news that I thought everyone should know so I messaged the mods again to ask why they would block it and I thought for sure they would tell me a good reason for blocking the thread but I haven't heard a thing about that one ether so my faith in ATS is dead.

I think what I have pictures of mite be something someone don't want getting out because I sent the pictures and info to the FBI, and they never got back with me ether, or maybe they know about them but can't do anything to stop them. One other thing in a post where I was asked about this ufo the mod in the post told me word for word something I only told the FBI. By the way I have the camera with the first pictures still on it and the videos hidden away and if anything happens to me there is a plan to get the pictures and videos out.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by trika3000

I admit that I just read the first 20-30 post so maybe this was already asked: Do they copy all post we add here or just a few selected at this other website?
And if they copy all post do they also delete them if something was deleted/censored here

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Friend:

Yes, this is the opposite of true transparent motives, I have had them happen myself.

If we live in a free and just world, nothing is hidden, so you and I can decide for ourselves.

Regards and Nameste,

-Chung

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Dammit, no kidding!!! I just found that an old thread of mine (written under my old account) has been ripped off twice, just that I know of - once on some other board, and once on a YouTube video! I am so DAMNED mad right now! Is it really too much to ask for these damned people to just give credit where credit's due?

DAMMIT!!! WTF!?!?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Did a quick check also, yep even my artwork has been scarfed. As for myself, it was placed for all to enjoy and I really am not worried about it. However, others do and it's quite rude and down right theft of intellectual property. At least ATS hasn't accused me of stealing my own artwork.

ATS has standards and T&C regarding material that the other sites do not add hereto and at times the MOD's do make errors regarding material. Over all they do quite well in guarding our content and even content from other sites to insure credit is given to the author(s). Better to error on the side of caution than find yourself in a law suite over copyright infringement.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
To everybody in this thread:

Did you know that the popular Nyan Cat (aka Poptart Cat) meme is actually not original in the slightest? If you do the research, you will find out its origins and how it has completely overshadowed its source.

The question then must be posed: If people are copying ATS for profit, how many people on ATS copy from barely-known websites?

The Internet is not the real world. Copying happens every second of every day, and unless you're willing to spend days waiting for an admin of an unfamiliar site to remove it or weeks in court, there's really nothing you can do about it except to accept it and move on with your life.
edit on 9/1/2011 by SonicInfinity because: Fixed wording

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I complained about this site in one of my threads.. ( is it the same site.. they claimed to be religious people in the about area) I sent them a letter which they replied to 6 months later with a slim "sorry" and said they will remove the content.. i didn't go back to check though.. if you search my posts you'll find it.. this has been going on for a while.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Hey dude something similiar happened to me once. The thread in my sig "Water and Life On Mars" got deleted at one point because another website copied it exactly onto their website, and the mod thought that I was the one who copied the thread.

It took a few hours to get my thread back up and running, but the timestamp on that website showed that mine was made before and they copied it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

It isn't a big deal really. Anything we post on the internet is fair game for re-posting. The internet is free and open (do we include a copyright notice at the end of every post? Do the T&C even support that behavior?). Do you think search engines don't log every query you send them? That isn't how it works. We pay for access to the internet the same way we pay for cable. Now with cable, there are commercials that keep the costs down. With the internet, most sites have commercials in a sense/ads, as well as the ability to data mine and sell the data later.

Being shocked by this sort of thing happening means you need to look into what is happening behind the scene a little more carefully.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
This has been going on for quite awhile. I'm not sure if material posted here is owned by ATS or not though.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rren
I imagine SkepticOverlord will handle this as soon as he is made aware.

Is it just me, or am I only seeing headlines of threads with malformed links?

I'm not seeing full posts or threads.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnixFE

I admit that I just read the first 20-30 post so maybe this was already asked: Do they copy all post we add here or just a few selected at this other website?
And if they copy all post do they also delete them if something was deleted/censored here

Your first question... It seems as if almost everything from (at least certain forums) is copied. i couldn't say for sure as i didn't look for everything (i don't have that much time). But it appears as anything new posted here (ATS) goes right up over there. Also, it seems they steal from other sites too (like celebrity websites). They also have a twitter and youtube account.

Your second question... As far as i could tell my original post on ATS that was deleted (by ATS) was also deleted from the other site too (about any others i could not say). At first i was just going by memory, when i found there were too many i started to favorite items on my computer for further reference, and then that got so full so i stopped.

The last few pages here have some members who seem to have a good idea what's up with this other site.

Yet, in my browzing around i found two other sites where it appears some ATS members have plagerized from (not exact content but slightly changed). The plagerizing ATS members is (IMHO) more likely an ego thing or trying to appear smart.

As some others have commented - It's the internet and things will get reposted, stolen, stashed and cached...
i guess it's kinda like leaving your car door open with C.D.s on he front seat or forgettin' your sunglasses on a counter somewhere - Yoink - and it's now somebody else's.

Besides that i found this other website puzzlin' is i found that the mod deleting my first thread equally as puzzlin' (especially now that this thread has garnered so much attention (not to mention a whole lot of U2Us asking me what the link was and some other comments about ATS's mods and dropped posts and deleted comments. But maybe that's for another time and thread.

Something nice i've found on this thread, is the comments i've read and received here (so far) have been intelligent and thoughtful and thought provoking. That's what i like about ATS, and what appeared was drifting away as ATS got bigger. So, thanks to all who've responded

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Me too. I (suspected) it was because I was not a member, but ya I see only the thread title and the first line of the thread followed by the tags... Example:

UN Food for Sex

Written by TheEye on 01 September 2011
United Nations peacekeepers in Ivory Coast enticed underage girls in a poor part of the West African nation to exchange sex for food, according to a United States...

edit on 2-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join