It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Someone is copying and reposting your posts under another name on another site

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
I checked out the site and the OP is definitely right. Every other thread on that site is an exact copy of recent ATS threads. I am guessing it is a previous ATS member who got butt hurt from any possible reason and thinks this is a great way to get revenge. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

that does seem like someone/ some persons are creating alot of extra work for the mods/admins,

for they would have to look at posts dates of identical posts and delete/report the post with the newer time

and also accomodate for very active posters who do post on other sites, often under different screenname per site.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
well, i say what i mean and mean what i say. i will say it publicly, and defend my words. i have that right.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TortoiseKweek

Originally posted by hathorschild

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
reply to post by hathorschild

wow - talk about total 'just don't get it'.

Wow - talk about rude....totally unnecessary and childish. My post was a direct question BTW, in case you missed it

I'm sorry, but I'm still trying to get my head around why you seem to be so concerned about this. You've been registered here for ALMOST 6 Years and have only posted 8 times! I don't think you have too much to worry about. I also think you need to go back and read 12m8keall2c's post more carefully.

I don't believe we've met...Hello, my name is ___________

So what if I've been here for 6 years and only have a few posts. Maybe it's because I left for 5 years, decided to come back, forgot that my username was hathorschild, started a new profile with the name ThePublicEnemyNo1, rediscovered my old profile and started using it. Oh and BTW genius, I even let everyone know my old name and why I have been using ThePublicEnemyNo. Thanks Masqua, for helping me figure that account issue out!

Maybe you shouldn't worry about how many times I have or haven't posted and stick to the thread. Anyway, what is your point and what exactly is your problem with me (no need to answer this) I also didn't realize that the amount of posts on ATS had anything to do with plagiarism elsewhere. Care to elaborate on why I have nothing to worry about or why I shouldn't be concerned for my other account on ATS?

Maybe the person my question was directed at which was not you could answer it like an adult instead of being rude.
edit on 9/1/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

It most be, that we are doing something right, or that some people just can not seem to find words to express themselves without using other peoples words.

Still It kind of troubles me, I guess I thought my work and my words were safe within ATS.

But then again this is a public board after all and I can not blame ATS for the deeds of some people, the same way that ATS can not control what others read here and post somewhere else.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
While I might be flattered if someone plagiarized my writing, I am concerned.

What if some terrrrist decides to get my copypasta and claim it as his own. Like when I complain about 9/11, or the ATF shipping weapons to Mexico, or police beating up on all us free-ranging idiots, or nukular poisoning of our planet (just kidding it's nuclear, there is no nukulus even though the leader of the "free" world said so for 8 years).

Then simple ol' POd bubbas like me might be in trouble for nothing except expressing our simpleton opinions.
FOX NEWS ALERT!!!!!.........................

That would be truly surreal. But today was surreal anyway so whatever...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 1SawSomeThings

Couldn't have said it better myself

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
The web site that had my story is gone. Or it is no longer on google. I tried to go back and it said website not found.

Something tells me this thread just might have the culprit in it. Hmmm, does anybody stand out?

Just thought I would say something, same result for anybody else?

Scratch that, I must have had a blip in service. It is still there.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Bobaganoosh because: my bust

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I did not go through the entire thread, as I suspect everyone is basically saying one of a few different things. With that said, I apologize if I have missed a mod post attempting to explain what the OP brought up.

Here is what I think. First, anyone who re-posts your creative material on another website without giving credit to you is legally accountable. Even if they give credit to you, they should have to have your permission first. This is how it works in other areas as well, such as music. Sourcing material is different from plagiarizing material btw.

I do not see how ATS itself has done anything wrong, UNLESS, and I am NOT accusing them of anything, but unless they are somehow responsible for the re-posts on other sites, and/or are making money from them.
I do not suspect this to be the case, but I have been wrong in the past. I just don't think that would be something they would do.

So for those of you wondering the level of involvement, if any, by ATS staff, that could be the only thing.
As for the "censorship," I do not know. Personally I have never experienced any form of censorship on this site, but I have had a thread deleted, which was my fault for being new and not reading the rules for posting new threads. None of my posts have been deleted to my knowledge, but I don't check for that sort of thing at all.

I just spent ten minutes looking for any plagiarism of my posts on this site, and could not find anything, so it definitely isn't everyone. I think it could be possible that the original authors of the posts are simply re-posting them elsewhere, but I do not know what site we are talking about here, so I really can't say with any certainty.

I am guessing that the majority of us are in the dark in regards to the website in question, and I suppose I understand why the staff did not want the link posted for everyone to visit...it would drive up their hit count, which would be astronomical considering the amount of users that would go there looking for plagiarized material, which would help this site out tremendously if they are making advertising profits.

So what should we do? First, we need to establish whether or not there is a slew of plagiarism going on. It sounds like that is a possibility at this point, but not a certainty. Second, if they are stealing content, the only option we have is to get the physical addresses of the owners of the site, and pay them a little visit.
I'm kidding btw, and should also point out that I do not advocate violence toward anyone, especially in this case.

So if we can't beat the crap out of them, what can we do? Hire Anonymous to hack them of course. Na, that probably wouldn't work either. We should probably let them know, as a whole, that we do not appreciate our posts being stolen, because when it comes down to it, we are a COMMUNITY, and we need to look out for one another. We're kind of like a dysfunctional family...we may yell at each other and call each other names, when allowed to, lol, but at the end of the day we are still family. This excludes anyone I don't like btw, like that one guy who never makes any sense.

Seriously though, what would be wrong with letting them know they are breaking the law? Of course this is only if we can prove they are ripping off posts. Evidence should be gathered as well. Timestamped. So what do you guys and girls think?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
reply to post by trika3000

The ATS owners should bust anyone who rips off their content.
That's what I think anyhow,

My thought is why the hell are they not? This is copy righted content that is being stolen from them....

Why are our posts and our rights not being protected here?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Odessy

I'd be interested if all these compiled posts are in any way "riskay."

None of the re-posts (or copied posts) seem like any "type" other than new (i checked back about a month) . They even copy the intros section from here. This thread was copied and then i copied that re-post to here (a few pages back). i'm thinkin' it might be a bot or something. But the name gets changed fromthe ATS users name to that of the other sites user's name.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

I think you are onto something and I'll be the first to volunteer

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Here's one that seems to have content from ATS..

Text‘Conspiracy’ News ATS: Wikileaks opens the cables! Post your findings here. OK, what we have been waiting for has finally come to pass! Wikileaks has opened the cables for all to see, both releasing the code and dumping the info on its website. We all... [More]

iamtheeye.com...

See the "Conspiracy" section-link found on right hand side of front page. Thoughts? Ideas as to what this site might be on about? Saw it posted here a couple of days or so ago,as a topic..can't recall what section it was in tho,and then it vanished..

I'm new to posting/interacting here on ATS,so please forgive me if I mess anything up. Thank you

edit on 1-9-2011 by Qouth The Raven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qouth The Raven

Saw it posted here a couple pf days or so ago,as a topic,and it vanished..

I'm new to posting/interacting here on ATS,so please forgive me if I mess anything up. Thank you

Don't be surprised if it happens again... there was a reason why it happened the first time, no?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

I don't know,honestly.

Eh,it's the world wide web..everything everyone posts is out there in spades.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
i have seen this site..bunch of hams run it..

the guys are a pain in my eye..

if you ask me..
edit on 2-9-2011 by baddmove because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Qouth The Raven

That's MY thread I opened just recently and it says on that website it was authored by "The Eye"!

Ok, that's bull!

Written by TheEye on 01 September 2011

link
edit on 1-9-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: remove profanity, sorry mods

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by trika3000
While google searching for an ATS member on-line to see if that person had posts outside of ATS , i stumbled upon a website which copies posts from ATS threads. This other website also signs the copied ATS posts as being from a member on that other website.

I am going to ask what others have not...

Why are you stalking other ATS members?

edit on 9/1/2011 by Section31 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Here's what is crazy about this copycat website... It even copies the word (name) ATS in its posts/threads
The following quote is from the other website (from when i checked about 5 minutes ago) - but it is attributed on the other website to someone called, "TheEye"

ATS: Wikileaks opens the cables! Post your findings here.

This i just copied from the first page of the ATS post from ATS member "sheepslayer247"

ATS: Wikileaks opens the cables! Post your findings here., page 1

And i've noticed when this other website posts intros from ATS's intro forum they'll leave in things like - "Hello ATS" or "I've been a lurker on ATS for awhile now"... So i almost would think if it was an actual person they would delete the ATS mentions. So i am slanting towards the idea it's a bot of some kind...

(how surreal it is getting that i am copying from a copycat site and reposting back on ATS on a thread about this other website copying from ATS)

Updated edited - i write too slow i just noticed this was posted as i was writing

edit on 1-9-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Yes! I was fascinated by it,and saved it in bookmarks,then when I came back to your thread it was gone..I was/am puzzled by it's disappearance.

Maybe I just messed up somehow but I couldn't find it again..How/where did you first find it? So odd knowing that no matter where we write online,every bit of what we say is stored/shared etc. elsewhere. Not bothered much as I don't have anything to hide,but still,it's a bit unnerving.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Qouth The Raven

To sheepslayer247;
Oh! I misunderstood what you said there..You were unaware of that EYE site copying our posts..

Who runs that place,I wonder.

edit on 1-9-2011 by Qouth The Raven because: needed it

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join