It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A bolt from the bleu... Dramatic moment thunderbolt lights up Eiffel Tower

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Source

Illuminated in vivid blue and dwarfing neighbouring buildings, the Eiffel Tower's impact on the Paris skyline was already dramatic.

But Mother Nature clearly felt she could lend the scene a little added pizzazz.

This remarkable shot of a forked lightning bolt streaking through the sky behind the 1,063ft iron tower was captured by amateur photo grapher ­Bertrand Kulik.

The 31-year-old from Paris - which is known as the City of Light - said: 'The weather was dry and the sky appeared to be completely clear, but suddenly it started to thunder.

'I quickly grabbed my camera and put it on a tripod by the window in the hope I could get an action picture - but I never thought I would get such a magnificent shot.'

What a great photograph. It is stunning in so many ways. I thought I would bring it here as the beauty of it is almost unsurpassed.

It is also amazing to see the Eiffel tower lit up blue as well.

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

For some unknown reason, as soon as I saw the pic, it made me think of the blue horse at Denver International Airport. Weird.

Maybe it's because of the blue color, very striking! Pun intented!

When did it get painted blue? I always thought it was brown.

Great pic.

st.
edit on 1-9-2011 by SatoriTheory because: typosaurus

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

Great find.
Looks like Megamind has taken over Paris.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Its pretty wild how the bolt weaves in and out of the towers braces.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

IMO, this is a photograph of lightning striking the ground BEHIND the Eiffel Tower and NOT hitting the tower directly. Had the tower been struck I would have expected coronal electric discharge (i.e. St. Elmo's Fire) from sharp metal edges, other secondary discharge paths, or sparks at the primary contact point from splattering of molten metal.

I was not there so I sure could have this wrong. Regardless, a terrific bit of photography, thank you for sharing!

Best regards,
Z

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by DrZrD

yeah, in the original article it does state that the impact of the lightning was behind the tower. But, as you said it is a beautiful photograph none the less. The man had to be there at the right place and time.
And now he has a photo worth a lot of money.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

i think it is still brown thats just the effect of the light shows that happen periodicly through out the day at the tower for tourist reasons ocasionaly they set off fire works too or at least they did when i was there in 2004

www.youtube.com... that seems to explain it a bit better it was looking like that for there 120th aniversary i guess
www.youtube.com... another one so i guess they do lots of crazy light things with it all the time
edit on 1-9-2011 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Great find - thanks, S&F - this pic's just about in my sweet spot - I love fractal patterns, lightening pics and Paris. Stunning -

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Yes, the tower is still brown.
it is just a longer exposure with blue lighting which in turn makes the tower appear blue in color. It's the ambient lights fault.

Pred...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SatoriTheory
For some unknown reason, as soon as I saw the pic, it made me think of the blue horse at Denver International Airport. Weird.

Ahhh Blucifer....creepy airport demon horse. Sure makes a nervous flyer feel better about their venture!
I just hope their weren't any injuries! There are always so many tourists milling around that area!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
That is a beautiful picture.
Nice find

new topics

top topics

join