It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A story missing from our media: Iceland's on-going revolution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You do not have to tell me that, that is why most of us taxpayers in the UK had to bail out the banks altogether which will affect the next generation and the next one after that.

So Should we just write off and Icelandic bank since it failed and its people are refusing to pay for it?

why should "its people" have to pay for it?

It is the investors and owners of the banks who carry the risks - not teh tax payers.

You seem to be under the impression that you can demand to be paid for taking a risk - and then demand to be bailed out when that risk actually eventuates.

I do not think so.

I will add also it was not Just the UK it was Germany and the Dutch also whom they owe money to, and whom were invovled in this

Yep - and they are all being forced to acknowledge that Iceland did not guarantee its gbanks, and therefore the risk lies with the investors.

the choice of those nations to bail out those investors is not something Iceland is responsible for.
edit on 1-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

Anonymous
that is why I asked you the question. This is happening in many parts of the world. The banks loan money to governments because the governments can tax the people to pay off the banks. The end result is the people have less then they started with and the banks go off with all the money. Sooner or later the the people rise up to bring down the system that got them into the mess, as has happened with Iceland. As to the U.S. the same thing will happen there sooner or later also.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by oconnection

Thanks for bringing this back up. S&F&

GO ICELAND!

edit on 1/9/11 by soficrow because: overkill

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

reply to post by RedGolem

I am sure you can work it out for yourself after all it is calculated at £2.2 Billion.

Funny how would Americans react if this happened to them? Would they let it go no they would not. Iceland would have had sanctions slapped on them, maybe threats also.

edit on 1-9-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)
ask Berny Madeoff

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   

reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

You do not have to tell me that, that is why most of us taxpayers in the UK had to bail out the banks altogether which will affect the next generation and the next one after that.

So Should we just write off and Icelandic bank since it failed and its people are refusing to pay for it?

I do not think so.

I will add also it was not Just the UK it was Germany and the Dutch also whom they owe money to, and whom were invovled in this

.....This person is either A: supporter of the banks, or B: ignorant, unintelligent and unbelivably blind to the workings of the world, as it is NOW.
Sad really..... it's like this person can't see beyond it's own selfish gains to see the whole picture... wake up and look around you, what do you think YOU own? what rights do you think YOU have? i'll tell you right now, your rights aren't YOURS! they are the state's rights that they GIVE to you, IF they wish it so..... think about that for a while and let that sink in

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by RisenAngel77

It isn't that we are jumping on you, we are simply trying to open your mind a bit more. Here is an example I will give you.

Person A break a window or property of Person B. However person B thinks Person C (who had nothing to do with said window) should be held responsible. Why should Person C pay for something Person A breaks?

Now that I gave that example, are you saying that we should pay for something someone else did when we were against it in the first place? No, you are sadly mistaken, I am responsible for MY own actions, not someone elses, I refuse to pay for someone else s mistakes, that is why revolutions take place. and anyone who says otherwise is just trolling or simply being biast.

Your analogy is crap. Person C enjoys the nice view through the window which keeps the wind from blowing into their face. Person C was given this opportunity by Person A.

Now we have analogy.

You forget that banks make profits pay taxes and makes loans. The people of Iceland benefitted from the taxes on the profits made by the banks which has resulted in a massive investment in Icelandic infrastructure (go investigate). Not only that but the citizens of Iceland benefitted from cheap loans and mortgages from their banks.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Not only that but the citizens of Iceland benefitted from cheap loans and mortgages from their banks.

Much like how the US benefited (correct spelling...go me) from cheap loans from our banks, rather the same banks when it comes down to it. Cheap loans and mortgages do not equal benefits to the general population, not this day in age. We have prime examples of this....everywhere.
edit on 2-9-2011 by oconnection because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

The BANKS caused Iceland to become BANKRUPT and the people of the UK are PAYING for it to bail those STEALING SCUMBAGS out. Iceland may have got bankrupt, but that didn't stop the Bankers taking away 7 figure retirement payments and bonuses.

Icelandic people owe us nothing, same as the Greeks, Irish, and other countries in line about to go bankrupt.
Quiet the contrary, Banks owe the people of the entire world hundreds (possibly thousands) of TRILLIONS of stolen money - which we will never get back unfortunately.
edit on 2-9-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

you dear girl are what we know around here as a good slave,not only do you NOT question what the banks motives are you argue on their behalf.....

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   

reply to post by sonofliberty1776

Then the Icelandic people should be forcing their banks to pay back each British council taxs payer instead of saying, it is not their problem.

The there would not problems what so ever.

I still don't understand where the people come in to play?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Oh right, I did not support the bailing out of the banks. Oh but I suppose that makes me a slave. I did not support the UK Government intervening in Libya, But I am still a slave? I did not support the tuition fees being rising in England. But that still makes me a slave does it? Only one I can see whom is the slave here is yourself.,
Look at yourself in the Mirror from time to time before you go calling other members slaves. If this was on the other side of the Atlantic there would be loads of you Americans calling for Iceland to be invaded so take your head out of your ass once in a a while eh

edit on 2-9-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

well sorry if i seemed a little blunt,let me further your education on slavery if u will,please watch this vid u will find in this link,it doesnt go into as much detail as one of our kind earlier posters put up for you,never the less if u watch this and still argue with me then i wish you all the best....

peace

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Your not showing me something which I have not seen before, Maybe you take a piece of your own advise and watch it also eh. As I said before I am entitled to my opinion. As are you. But to class me as a slave whom follows every single thing T.I.P. does is a complete load of rubbish.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

ok i get it....you love the system and think it works..(tell that to all the malnourished and starving people of the earth)....you must have a vested interst in the market and my geuss would be u are very materialistic...goood for you and i hope it works out for you...btw how far did you actually get through the vid before you labelled it as ive seen it all before?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   

reply to post by Maxmars

If the Icelandic people gained such things as infrastructure investment then yes, they should be held accountable, And if their Government knew this was going on and gave no inclination that, the investments/loans might fail then they are held to account.

Would you be saying the exact same thing or sticking up for them if it was you whom was affected by this? No you would not be.
edit on 1-9-2011 by AnonymousFem because: (no reason given)

Apologies for being late to respond. But I need to beg pardon because I think you fail to recognize the comparatively VAST sums of money the US taxpayers have to repay after "our" banks decided to "distribute" funds to Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America. As a matter of fact, it was almost an order of magnitude greater that the losses endured by English and other European Banks as a result of the collapse of the model in Iceland.

And frankly, that is exactly what it is.. a model. Monetary policy on a global scale has been migrated to a model where all international banks operate as quasi-reserve for other countries. This was done despite national sovereignty because it behooves international hedge fund and 'derivative' markets to generate revenue streams from the transfers of wealth they don't own. (It also figures prominently in the entire notion of the 'desirability' of the globalist agenda.)

That the people of Iceland demanded a say in the manifestation of the model and it's institution is only the beginning. Perhaps the bankers and investment communities should not "bank" (pardon the pun) on the ignorant acquiescence of the 'liability holder'.. and perhaps your people, as mine, should very thoroughly scrutinize the way finance is handled by our "legally mandated" "proxies" in the banking industry... maybe even to the extent of dissolving the power we entrust to those who manipulate currencies and investment vehicles for profit risking wealth that does not belong to them.

Among those UK Bankers that "represent" the loss to your country... how many are "liable?" And how many got their paychecks and bonuses despite the failure of their "investment" on your behalf?

edit on 2-9-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Despite some confused reports to the contrary, this weekend’s Icesave referendum result does not mean Iceland will withhold refunds to the British and Dutch governments for the money they lost bailing out Icesave account holders in 2008.

Some international media sources have framed the referendum as a simple question of “should Iceland pay the Icesave money back or not?” In reality, the question was much more complicated and even after Icelandic citizens voted against the repayment contract, the British and Dutch governments will still receive very substantial refunds.

The Icesave accounts in the Netherlands and the UK were operated by Landsbanki, which was based in Iceland. Landsbanki paid into the Icelandic Depositors’ Guarantee Fund in strict accordance with European law. However, no country’s depositors’ guarantee fund holds enough money to refund depositors after a total systemic banking crash of the magnitude which hit Iceland in autumn 2008. In the interest of domestic stability the British and Dutch governments therefore decided to refund Icesave savers directly when Landsbanki collapsed. They then sent the bill to Reykjavik.

Depositors are priority claimants on the bankrupt Landsbanki estate. This means that when Landsbanki’s assets are sold, they are first-in-line to recover their losses. By bailing out Icesave customers, the British and Dutch governments replaced the savers and became priority claimants on their behalf.
What the Icesave referendum was about was essentially whether or not the Icelandic Depositors’ Guarantee Fund should take a loan from Britain and the Netherlands in order to pay them back upfront (albeit with money borrowed from them) and therefore replace both governments as priority claimants on Landsbanki.

Icelandic voters decided on Saturday that it should not. This means that the British and Dutch governments remain priority claimants on Landsbanki.

Landsbanki now says it should be able to retrieve 90-100 percent of lost money for priority claimants over the next few years – including the British and Dutch governments. And furthermore, a third of that amount is due to be paid out this year. The Icesave referendum has no impact on the winding up of Landsbanki or to the payment amounts or time schedule. It only dictates to whom the money will be paid.

The EFTA Surveillance Authority now awaits the response from the government of Iceland before deciding whether to start preparing a legal case against Iceland before the EFTA Court to establish whether or not the Icelandic taxpayer is legally responsible for the debts of Landsbanki – a private bank.

www.icenews.is...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join