It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lucas makes more changes to Star Wars with Blu Ray release

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Link

First he changes the scene where Han originally shoot Greedo first, now even more changes.

What do you think, should Lucas have left a classic alone or is he right in making changes.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I hate any of them other than the original original. I found some on DVD a While back and had to take em.
It's most likely because I grew up on those ones. But when he changed lines/music/etc it just sounded cheesy.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Noooooooooooooooo!!!

Can you really kill something that's already been killed?

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by daikaiju
Link

First he changes the scene where Han originally shoot Greedo first, now even more changes.

What do you think, should Lucas have left a classic alone or is he right in making changes.

What other changes? Sidious in a Tutu? please specify your blu ray argument

It is his creation, he can do what he likes with it!
Find the version that you like best and forget all the others, simple.

I was literally blown away in '78 when the Imperial cruiser filled the screen and have loved the saga since. I thank George Lucas for decades of sheer pleasure and it is his story and why should anyone tell him what he can and can't do?
May the force be .......... (insert dialogue change)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Talk about milking it

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I think "Star Wars" is George Lucas's own story, and he should be allowed to change it as he pleases. For me, I would always remember with a fondness the first, original story. Sometimes you get re-writes from the original stories of their own original stories, and sometimes the rewrites are better and sometimes not. Who am I to criticize it. Take for example the "Ender Universe" by Orson Scott Card. The original story I thought was fantastic, but if I read it now, many years later it lacks depth. When I read the later "Ender's game", it was so much more developed than the first "Ender's game".

You can always have all the versions of Star wars, from the very first ones (I still have it on VHS) to the DVD's to the Blu-ray. Heck, look at all the versions of "Blade runner" out there, and I just love the Final cut version of it.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
The story of Star Wars is going to outlast thousands of other movies. It will still be talked about 50-100 years from now, easily.

But you know what will be an even more rare, collector's piece?

The unedited, un-rewritten version.

That is, if a VCR even exists by then.

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Talk about milking it

What? That first billion he made on merchandising and rights?
The thing that grabs my fellas is how Lucasfilm is always trying to sue...
If a fourth grader draws an awesome picture of a tie fighter and his older brother puts it on his Facebook page, then can expect a call.

As if it would tarnish the image or take away a few bucks from his fat pocketed dockers...

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
...why doesn't he just release an edition that has the original cut and the director's cut, like everyone else does?
After all, if he's only editing a few select scenes, let him go nuts, but leave the purists with their trilogy!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daikaiju

He should have simply left it alone. The added changes were SO obvious, and the CGI so different looking, that it detracts rather than adds to the films. Shouldn't mess with classics, unless it's restoration.

I get the backlash of the new Star Wars films, but the more I've seen them, the more they really do have the same feel as the originals. (the music helps in this regard...kind of like it did for Superman Returns). Another prime example, this was a great addition to the Superman movies in so far as Brandon Routh channeling Reeve, but they screwed it up with the storyline of that movie.

As for Star Wars, I'd still love to see them do the Thrawn trilogy in film, that would be epic.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Already had enough of Lucas.
I'm sure he's enough money to build 20 Death Stars by now.
Just let it lie man!!!!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019
Talk about milking it

I think eventually they're going to remake episodes 4, 5 & 6, Star Wars for a new generation (the Jar Jar Binks generation) that only knows CGI.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm not to keen on the changes, but it's his work and Lucas can do whatever he wants. Over time people will get used to it.
What I would criticise, however, is that is all that he is doing. I would like to see more Star Wars films and also the live action TV series that has been sitting in limbo for the last couple of years. The Expanded Universe has so many awesome stories, I'd love to seem them acted out.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I'm not to keen on the changes, but it's his work and Lucas can do whatever he wants. Over time people will get used to it.

Once it's out there in one form though, it kind of belongs to humanity in general, at least as art, and as a legacy. He can change it all he wants, but the original is the original, and always will be for many.

top topics

join